U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 01:33 PM

5 posts, read 6,906 times

Advertisements

So here is the situation - Family of 4 plus pets relocating to Orange County to take a job with a company in Santa Ana. We are home owners here but will look to rent when we first get to California. So I have been looking on this site and others about family friendly / safe areas in southern California and we are looking at $2k to 2500 budget for rent. Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo area, maybe even Tustin areas. I wanted to get some feedback from some folks here. We are very flexible as we homeschool our children and they are young so schools are not important. Being close to the toll road however is so I am not in the car for 3 hours a day. Thanks for your input...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 01:45 PM

624 posts, read 1,185,417 times
You have the right areas.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:47 PM

5,889 posts, read 12,301,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrx7 View Post
So here is the situation - Family of 4 plus pets relocating to Orange County to take a job with a company in Santa Ana. We are home owners here but will look to rent when we first get to California. So I have been looking on this site and others about family friendly / safe areas in southern California and we are looking at $2k to 2500 budget for rent. Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo area, maybe even Tustin areas. I wanted to get some feedback from some folks here. We are very flexible as we homeschool our children and they are young so schools are not important. Being close to the toll road however is so I am not in the car for 3 hours a day. Thanks for your input...
First question is "what is important to you?"
Beach?
Hills?
Mountains?
Semi Rural?
Suburban?
Urban?
Ethnically Diverse?

I will suggest staying away from Santa Ana, Stanton, Midway City, Parts of Garden Grove, Parts of Westminster and Parts of Anaheim.

You can get to Santa Ana from Most OC cities in less than 1/2 hour (you will need to take the toll way from South County)

ie: It takes me 20 minutes to get to Santa Ana in the Morning from Huntington Harbour. You can get a two bedroom town home for about 1500 - 1800.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:49 PM

26,342 posts, read 90,000,645 times
Also
Irvine (close but more expensive),
Rancho Santa Margarita (farther out but cheaper),
Ladera Ranch

//www.city-data.com/forum/orang...ing-tools.html

Old 02-08-2011, 01:57 PM

5 posts, read 6,906 times
We would prefer a house and not a townhome or condo. Do not have to be at the beach. would like the mountains but then again staying in budget and being in a quite safe neighborhood where we can go for a walk in the evenings and feel OK.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
We would prefer a house and not a townhome or condo. Do not have to be at the beach. would like the mountains but then again staying in budget and being in a quite safe neighborhood where we can go for a walk in the evenings and feel OK.
I would then recommend Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Tustin or Irvine

Old 02-08-2011, 02:04 PM

26,342 posts, read 90,000,645 times
Quote:
The further inland (farther from beach) and south (farther from jobs) you go, the cheaper it gets in general.

Rancho Santa Margarita is convenient to the toll road but it is far from the 5. Very nice SFR with very good schools are in the low $200s/sqft.
Conversely, Irvine is closer (to everything), has outstanding schools but the prices are closer to $300/sqft.
Laguna Niguel is a little more expensive than Mission Viejo/RSM since it is closer to the ocean and it has a wide variety of homes some older on larger lots (not huge - just not dinky) and some newer homes on smaller lots.

Become knowledgeable of the term Mello Roos - a special "property tax" with limited life that is usually on homes built since the mid 1990s. Typically these taxes are around $2000-$5000 per year in addition to the normal infinite life property taxes and the MR taxes last anywhere from 20-30 years from when the house was built.

Also know that most homes will have HOA of $100 to $300/month depending on the level of that neighborhood/community amenities.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:10 PM

30,253 posts, read 74,372,956 times
Since you homeschool, I have some outside of the box suggestions for you.

1. Look at Silverado Canyon. It is a neat small community nestled in the Cleveland National Forest (do not be confused by the word Forest, there is no Forest. but it is a nice wilderness area and does have some trees along Silverado creek. (live oak I think)). IT is a very small community and somewhat more firendly than typical OC. There are some concerns/risks. You do nto want to be positioned where a big rock can come tumbling down and crush somone in your house (that has happened), but that is easy to avoid. SOmetimes fires roar throught eh canyon and while no one has been killed to my knowlege in recent times, some people keep oxygen tanks in their car so that they can breathe to drive out of the canyon. However I have never met anyone who actually had to use the oxygen tanks. Sometimes the creek overflows and blocks part of the road so that you need 4wd to get out. That only impact people in certain parts of the canyon. Frankly I could live with that.

Other concerns:
1. You have too plan shopping carefully. There is a little convenience store, but grogeries are a long drive away.

2. Although yards are often large, much of them tend to be vertical or nearly vertical. However you have a million or so wide open acres available to call your backyard.

3. Longish drive, but it is a fun and pleasant drive.

4. beaches, cultural events, malls and cities are pretty far away (some would put this in the plus column)

5. It is probably a bad idea ot leave pets or small children outside alone at night. Mountain lions range in the National forest, but you vitrually never see one, still to be safe, keep them in at night.

On the plus side:

1. The entire Cleveland National forest is your back yard.

2. Friendly and helpful neighbors

3. Slower paced life.

4. Loads a natural beauty.

5. nice variety of houses and residents.

6. rural living in Orange County.

7. You will probably have a stream running through your yard, and may cross a bridge to get to your house.

8. There is real water in the creek, real trees and big fields for your kids to play in.

2. Old Town Orange. This is a really nice very middle class/down to earth old fashioned community. It is close to Santa ANa, centrally located, and just a great place. You can forget your car and just walk to 80% of what you need.

3. Floral Park in Santa Ana. One of the nicest neighborhoods in OC. Walk to the mall, to Park Santiago, the Dsicovery science center abd the Bower Museum/Kidseum. Santa Ana is a gritty town and it is moslty lower income Hispanic, but it has some wonderful neighborhoods. You can get beautiful historic houses for a fraction of the price elsewhere and many have nice sized lots. Schools are mostly terrible, but you do nto care. They do have the Orange County High School of the Arts. Less nice but more historic French PArk is also an option, but it is encrouched more by bad areas. Other decent neighborhoods are Park Santiago, Heninger Park, Washington Square Wilshire Square. All are right in Santa Ana. The biggest problem with Santa Ana are its bad schools, but you do not have that concern. We also walked or biked everywhere when we lived in Santa Ana. I drove my car about 4000 miles a year.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-08-2011 at 03:21 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 03:28 PM

Silverado and Carbon canyon are both real neat "semi-rural" areas. A bit remote by OC standards but I could easily live there

Old 02-08-2011, 05:09 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,010,247 times
All of the areas you mentioned are nice, but I prefer Aliso because it’s so compact, hilly, attractive, beach-close, clean and well-maintained with lots of parks; and everything is easily accessible. People are also friendly. Personally, I think that the city attracts people who don’t mind dense housing, and actually appreciate an opportunity to interact with others during their daily routines.

The 73 Toll Road runs right through Aliso Viejo with off ramps at Aliso Creek Road, Glenwood and Pacific Park Dr.

There’s also info on this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/orang...iso-viejo.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County