Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:36 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbybee View Post
Woodstock, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's nice - but it's certainly no Laguna Beach!
Woodstock looks interesting, but it's a lot smaller than Laguna Beach. I think it's strange that the movie "Groundhog Day" was filmed there whey they could have gone to Punxsutawney. Is Punxsutawney really that bad?

Since it is such a small town, it probably doesn't have much of a transit system, other than that train to Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 05:49 PM

10 posts, read 25,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPatz View Post
I'm relocating from Laguna Beach to Chicago in 4 months. I'm going to miss living here (esp. the weather!).
There are many neat suburbs in the Chicago area to choose from. You will most likely be okay wih whatever the choice. My reccomendations would include Glenview, Northbrook, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn or Naperville.

I have lived in Chicago for 40 years and I can't wait the day I can finally retire and escape to a warmer climate area as winters here are long and brutal.

Good luck with your move.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
You will be back. I'm heading back to Laguna in two weeks; winter is great but often overrated.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:57 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
You'll be back within two years. I guarantee it.
More like two weeks

I was born there, and just got back from a weekend there. Never again.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:42 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPatz View Post
...but we're concerned about schools and crime...and everyone I've spoken with has said we can expect to pay private school tuition for high school if our kids don't get into a selective admissions school.
Isn't New Trier one of the top ranked public high schools in the U.S.? Of course, a home in that area is much more expensive.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:49 PM

257 posts, read 946,214 times
I lived in WHeaton for a year.....it was really nice. Chicago is the only place where I feared for my life when I went to get the kids from school in the dead of winter. May the force be with you.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:03 PM

151 posts, read 224,059 times
you should stay in laguna beach chicago is not nice ive been there it has lots of trash and ugly neighborhoods

Old 03-05-2011, 04:38 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
More like two weeks

I was born there, and just got back from a weekend there. Never again.

I moved from the Detroit area to OC. I used to say things like this regularly. In fact I did so for about 15 years. ASfter a while, I began to reconsider. After living in OC for 19 years, we moved back to the Detroit area. I soemtimes regret it, but sometimes I prefer it, even in the winter. A lot has to do with your attitude and approach. If you recognize winter as an opportunityt rather than a horror, you will enjoy it. There are a lot of things that you can do int he winter that you can never do in CA. Plus in Chicago, you can probably afford waterfront property if you can live in Laguna.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:02 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
I ride, shoot, and play golf year round.

As I said, never again.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:18 PM

29 posts, read 83,601 times
So funny! I'm looking to relocate to Ladera Ranch or San Clemente and currently live in Wilmette. Let me assure you that if you have a family Wilmette is incredible, good schools, great neighborhood with close proximity to the city and lake. I know Long Grove well, very cute and charming, but Wilmette is better. Long Grove is also far from the city. I've also lived near Barrington (near Schaumberg) and again, far from city, has bad traffic, etc. If Wilmette had year round fabulous weather we'd stay here. I think Wilmette can appear stuffy and inactive but honestly it's the winter. Winters here are brutal, and people tend to hibernate. If you do plan to look in the city, East Lakeview, Andersonville and River North are fabulous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County