Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 07:35 PM

72 posts, read 434,271 times

Advertisements

Is it better to buy a sub-$550,000 house in Rancho Santa Margarita or Lake Forest? What are the pros and cons of each city?

The good thing about Lake Forest is it is close to Irvine (where the jobs are). Will it be easier to get a renter for a house in Lake Forest than in Rancho Santa Margarita (RSM seems to be far away from job centers like Irvine)? I noticed the Lake Forest homes have no association fee or mello roos. Is this a good thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 09:57 AM

59 posts, read 295,922 times
CMP....Lake Forrest is closer to just about everything in OC but is an older area. I would say the avg home in LF is probably 20-25 years old and about 10-15 in RSM. RSM is a very nice area, kind of up in the hills, lots of wide laned roads, newer schools, etc., but it is quite a bit further inland (thus a bit hotter in summer).

If you're looking for a place to raise kids, I'd say RSM...if you want something a bit less expensive and more convenient to stuff, LF would probably be a better choice.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:25 PM

376 posts, read 1,505,643 times
It really depends on the area, but a couple of things. Tax rate in RSM is generally around 1.4-1.8% with mello roos and assocation. Lake Forest for the most part is 1% with no mello roos but those are older homes. There are two communities in LF that are newer Portola Hills and Foothill Ranch that are nice. The drive between the two is maybe 15 minutes from the furtherest points so I don't think distance is a real issue. Plenty of people live in RSM and commute to Irvine, etc. RSM is considered a younger family area and the high school choice is a little better, Capo, Mission Viejo or Tesoro.
You could also check out Mission Viejo....
Should you need any other details please do not hesitate to contact me direct.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:30 PM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,086,038 times
We are looking in these areas too. Here are my observations:

RSM cons - further out, need to use the toll road, smaller houses
RSM pros - the beach club and other parks and pools are nice

LF cons - older homes, not a master planned community like RSM
LF pros - a slightly easier commute - not much, bike paths, parks.

Both have a similar feel. I like Mission Viejo too.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:55 PM

63 posts, read 67,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmpEngineer View Post
Is it better to buy a sub-$550,000 house in Rancho Santa Margarita or Lake Forest?
Question was asked 14 years ago. Should now be $1M house.

Old 08-21-2021, 12:49 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanRenaissance View Post
Question was asked 14 years ago. Should now be $1M house.
Actually, I bet the $550k home in RSM is a $1.2m now and the Lake Forest home is $850k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County