Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:35 AM

159 posts, read 513,196 times

Advertisements

[quote=TigerArmy89;18092157]I need a roof, job, vehicle, and SUN. quote]

You remind me of Jeff Spicolli from Fast Times At Ridgemont High: "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine."

But seriously, you sound like you have a plan in place. Are you waiting for someone's approval to leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 05:57 AM

12 posts, read 24,822 times
again, thank you Vary. another great idea to look into. and MQHP40, lol, my email is still the same as it was when i was 15, i wont say all of it but it starts with Damoan. as in Damoan from fast times at ridgemont high cus i used to look like him when i had longer hair and i had the same hat. great movie. but there are a few reasons for waiting, my cousins baby is due probably this month so i want to give them time, and it will take a few months to find out an examination date for the barber board, also have a condo to sell but my brother is a great real estate agent in town, and it will give me time to get everything squared away.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:54 AM

159 posts, read 513,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerArmy89 View Post
again, thank you Vary. another great idea to look into. and MQHP40, lol, my email is still the same as it was when i was 15, i wont say all of it but it starts with Damoan. as in Damoan from fast times at ridgemont high cus i used to look like him when i had longer hair and i had the same hat. great movie. but there are a few reasons for waiting, my cousins baby is due probably this month so i want to give them time, and it will take a few months to find out an examination date for the barber board, also have a condo to sell but my brother is a great real estate agent in town, and it will give me time to get everything squared away.

Sounds like you are doing some smart planning and thinking things through. You'll be fine!

You're going to love So. Cal. It rocks (especially at 22!).

Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 AM

lol i know, i go out there almost every year! it just feels like home, and when i come back here i get depressed. SoCal is where my heart is at. Im also glad i got to experience moon the amtrack whike it was still happening, that was something else haha, like whitetrash mardi gras.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 AM

Hey guys, im trying to make a list of important things to consider for living down there, any help would be awesome.
so far i got 1. Car insurance. 2. Motorcycle Insurance. 3. Renters Insurance. 4. Income tax. 5. monthly Rent. 6. gas and electric bills. 7. Water bill. 8. Groceries. 9. Fuel. 10. Chair rent. 11. Possibly internet, probably no cable. 12. Adress change. 13. Moving Company or Uhaul cost. 14. any ideas guys?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Reitrement and emergency savings. Parking arrangements. Find a beach that you like, figre out where to park. If you tend to hang out in one place, you will eventually make friends. You may want to plan some weekend trips. If you do nto plan them, you will quickly find that a year has gone by and you have not done anything yet. It happens to a lot of people. You need to locate a goo doctor, dentist, hospital, after a year or two a good shrink. You will need some kind of medical insurance, perhaps you can get into a small group plan. You probably should put a job on your list. Many places have free wireless internet, so you shold factor that into costs when comparing rent prices. you need an entertainment mudget. Are you just going to go to the beach every day? Movies? Camping? Skiing? travel? etc.
Are you going to join some clubs or groups? A health club? Church? charity work?

Cell phone.

Car registration, license change.

Marketing for clients. Make a plan for what you will do to meet people. How will you advertise? Will you run sort of initial special (i.e. $10 haircuts) to draw people in initially?

Visiting relatives. Are you leaving family behind? How often do you want to see them?

Sunblock. Diving lessons.

Get to know some decent places in your area so you will ahve an idea of where to suggest if you get a date. "Hey would you like to go to . . . umm. .. . . well. . . somewhere with me?" Not very effective.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:57 PM

thanks for the good points, i know the orange county area a little bit. ive been down there probably 9 times now. and i have my cousin and all of her friends who are basically my friends as well all living in orange county in the same general area. plus my buddy coming with me hopefully. and as far as the shrink goes, if i can ride all year round then thats more than enough therapy!!! and since i know people there they can point me to the doctor and dentist to go to. so basically on the list im putting first and most important things. stuff like weekend getaways and gym and church im not gonna worry about untill im settled in and working. and yes i know theres no gaurantee of that but whatever, im not gonna stay here and be safe if im truly unhappy. ill find a job no matter what.

1. Car insurance. 2. Motorcycle Insurance. 3. Renters Insurance. 4. Income tax. 5. monthly Rent. 6. gas and electric bills. 7. Water bill. 8. Groceries. 9. Fuel. 10. Chair rent. 11. Possibly internet, probably no cable. 12. Adress change. 13. Moving Company or Uhaul cost. 14. car and bike registration. 15. license change. 16. JOB. lol obviously. 17. barber license exam, again. 18. ........

Old 03-07-2011, 06:02 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,299 times
Quote:
thanks for the good points, i know the orange county area a little bit. ive been down there probably 9 times now. and i have my cousin and all of her friends who are basically my friends as well all living in orange county in the same general area. plus my buddy coming with me hopefully. and as far as the shrink goes, if i can ride all year round then thats more than enough therapy!!! and since i know people there they can point me to the doctor and dentist to go to. so basically on the list im putting first and most important things. stuff like weekend getaways and gym and church im not gonna worry about untill im settled in and working. and yes i know theres no gaurantee of that but whatever, im not gonna stay here and be safe if im truly unhappy. ill find a job no matter what.

1. Car insurance. 2. Motorcycle Insurance. 3. Renters Insurance. 4. Income tax. 5. monthly Rent. 6. gas and electric bills. 7. Water bill. 8. Groceries. 9. Fuel. 10. Chair rent. 11. Possibly internet, probably no cable. 12. Adress change. 13. Moving Company or Uhaul cost. 14. car and bike registration. 15. license change. 16. JOB. lol obviously. 17. barber license exam, again. 18. ........
HEALTH INSURANCE ....at your age it shouldn't be too much...but esp as a motorcycle driver one never knows...a mere swipe on the freeway can land you in major injuries...I would suggest a "catastrophic plan"...which would cover the big time potentials..but not the minor things like sore throats..etc...10,000 deductible is usually considered catastrophic levels..in other words..they pay nothing til you hit 10 grand..but believe me a single night in the ER and ICU could eat that up in one accident..yes..our hospitals DO have to treat you if you are not insured..but don't count on that..you still could need follow up care..appendix etc..you may face a huge huge bill without insurance..

BTW..you know of course that motorcyclers insurance is pretty high..

good luck

Old 03-07-2011, 07:39 PM

103 posts, read 219,536 times
I know what you mean by moving out of Ohio, well I'm not living in Ohio but I do live in Michigan. Can you believe our winter this year. I say go for it, but keep in mind that California and Ohio are totally different places, for one thing is earth quakes, mud slides etc , the second thing is likely ever one is saying that ever thing is more expensive in California then either in Michigan or in Ohio, besides the gas prices.

So go for it, I'm going for it after I get my Associates Degree in Graphic Design. Check out this website and see if you like the price of an apartment Apartments for Rent - The Best Apartments Are For Rent at Avalon Communities

I do believe that the price range is in your area and plus it seems like that they have pretty large 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in the $1,600 up to I do believe $2,000.

Quote:
hey guys, i came accross this forum just recently and wanted to see if i could get any advice. Ok so im about to be 22 years old and i live near Cleveland, Ohio. Im an employed Barber and i have a small condo i own here. I'm single. No kids. And life here just absolutely sucks. Im once again thinking about moving down to Dana Point or San Juan Capistrano, basically around that General area. I already have a cousin and a group of friends down there, also an aunt and uncle. And they all want me to come down also. And i have a buddy here who is in the same boat as me and wants to get the hell out. So the idea is for me and him to split a 2 bedroom apartment for hopefully less than 1600 a month. Were both real simple guys. DONT NEED MUCH. I need a roof, job, vehicle, and SUN. Most likely id try to get a job as a barber down there. What do you guys think. And please no negativity, remember, i really got nothin to live for down here, Its time to take a chance. Thanks Guys! sorry for ramblin.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:42 PM

10 posts, read 14,916 times
Hey Tigerarmy,
we live in Huntington Beach which is not too far from where you will be looking. When you make it out here check out the Huntington Beach Pier with your friend who wants to have a bible study on Saturdays between 1:30 to 3:30, my son a former US Navy SEAL is out there doing open air preaching! There are a lot of great churches out here. We can let you know of some when you head out this way if you would like. : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County