Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 03:02 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Personally I would never take public transportation; I hate being around people and I like my car way too much. Don't worry I can afford the gas
Good ... I'm happy for you that your are affluent enough to be able to afford your own gas and not have to deal with us peons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 03:06 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
...I hate being around people..
Living in a forest should be ideal.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
If adding light rail meant an increase of taxes including gasoline taxes of $1000/year for 20 years, would you vote for it?

Old 03-20-2011, 04:15 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If adding light rail meant an increase of taxes including gasoline taxes of $1000/year for 20 years, would you vote for it?
I'd only vote for something like that if it came with budget and timeline guarantees, unlike the HSR prop we stupidly passed.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
I'd only vote for something like that if it came with budget and timeline guarantees, unlike the HSR prop we stupidly passed.

What if it came with budget and timeline guarantees - but it either didn't serve your commute or your commute went from a 35 minute POV drive to a 60 minute light rail commute?

Old 03-20-2011, 07:07 PM

394 posts, read 967,129 times
OC is too spread out to have an effective mass transit system and the land needed to construct the connectors is too expensive. Having a transit system that used the freeways would be great but the problem would be getting people from the stations to the jobsite and the stations to home in a timely fashion.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:20 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbybee View Post
OC is too spread out to have an effective mass transit system and the land needed to construct the connectors is too expensive. Having a transit system that used the freeways would be great but the problem would be getting people from the stations to the jobsite and the stations to home in a timely fashion.

I'd settle for the BRT system they announced a few years ago. Put a BRT bus on every major street with signal priority and that could be enough to get people out of their cars.

LA is doing it and people there love it. It's not as good as light rail, but it's a lot cheaper and can be up and running in a fraction of the time.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:43 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
I'd settle for the BRT system they announced a few years ago. Put a BRT bus on every major street with signal priority and that could be enough to get people out of their cars.

LA is doing it and people there love it. It's not as good as light rail, but it's a lot cheaper and can be up and running in a fraction of the time.
Or freeway express buses ...

Old 03-22-2011, 04:23 PM

283 posts, read 626,224 times
The Nimby's in Irvine have killed these projects every single time. Centerline was supposed to run from UCI to Cal State Fullerton and was killed by the Irvine NIMBY's. Hundreds of millions of dollars were spent on EIR's and studies and they all went down the toilet after the NIMBY's in Irvine thought that the transient population and crime in Irvine would significantly increase. Orange County will never get legitimate mass transit (at least in our lifetime). The closest we will get is the Monorail in Disneyland and probably the Monorail that will connect Disneyland to the Anaheim Transportation Center. There is no point in even trying to develop a system because after the money is spent these transit systems always will get killed at the last possible second.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:47 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
build light rails along existing transit (streets) right of ways. That should solve part of the nimby problem. It is pretty easy to imagine an elevated rail line going down beach boulevard, harbor boulevard and on the 405/5, 22 and 91.

OC planner should also look at the dedicated busways they use in Pittsburgh. Special limited access roadways designed for busses. they work very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County