Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:50 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc007 View Post
Winter: Skiing, Ice Skating, Snowmen, Snowball fights,
White Christmas, Christmas Caroling, Sledding ....
And for every snowball fight or sled ride, there's 69 hours inside the house watching TV and there's 45 minutes of preparing to go outside in the weather. It's a production just to go outside.

CT in January

CA in January
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 08:04 PM

370 posts, read 999,281 times
LOL ... You don't miss the snow at all ???

I hear ya, but CA doesn't look like that all winter long.
Heck, Cali doesn't look like that all summer long.

But I moved out of the North to get away from those winters too.
I do miss them sometimes, but ....

Old 04-04-2011, 08:43 AM

166 posts, read 380,458 times
In response to my "Kids learn what they live at home" statement ...

Quote:
I don't think this is accurate

Kids will develop with their peers.
If you think you can raise mid-west kids in South California ...
They are more likely to take after the other 99% of the people
that they hang out, and think you are weird :-)
At the risk of becoming embroiled in a "How to Parent" your kids debate and with the admission that my experience is woefully lacking as my oldest is 14 yoa, my statements were focused on attitudes. If the parents look to their social network for approval on their every move, the kids will learn that as well. Imo, this will make them more susceptible to being followers socially and the myriad of problems that will incur. Whereas, kids and adults who 'flex' socially will remain better adjusted people ... go along with what works for them but be strong enough to find their own way when friends do things that they don't want to do. All the social woes occur in the midwest as well. Don't be so worried about fitting in with a specific group, find a new group! Please do not think I am naive enough to believe that I can raise perfect kids who never have a social woe, nor that I won't recieve many a gray hair from my kids. I just have an attitude of *hit happens where ever we may live and a person can best cope with such situations by knowing themselves well and doing their best to be true to that. And, when bad things happen, get over it and move on.

I'm prepared for the "weird" (I think!). I can show them weird if need be. Saw a mom one morning walking her kids (middle schoolers!) to school while literally wearing her bathrobe and curlers. I wonder what they did to tee her off? Anyway, my kids were a combo of being horrified and laughing. Made my day.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:57 AM

590 posts, read 1,249,229 times
Quote:
LOL ... You don't miss the snow at all ???

I hear ya, but CA doesn't look like that all winter long.
Heck, Cali doesn't look like that all summer long.

But I moved out of the North to get away from those winters too.
I do miss them sometimes, but ....

Yeah..it sorta does look like "that" all winter long...except of course for the rainy days we get..which are far too few...

What do you think California looks like in summer?? yeah it is warmer outside...but still green as we have something called sprinklers..

300 days of sun per year...beat that..

Old 04-04-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
Yeah..it sorta does look like "that" all winter long...except of course for the rainy days we get..which are far too few...

What do you think California looks like in summer?? yeah it is warmer outside...but still green as we have something called sprinklers..

300 days of sun per year...beat that..
Interesting, I lived in Orange County for 5 years. Just moved out a couple years ago.

Lived right across from Tustin Sports Park.
Used to walk my dog at the park.
Come January, I'd be in a winter jacket, the Tennis Courts would be empty.
Freezin

In the Summer ...
Well, some call it June Gloom
Some call it May Gray
Down be the coast is Very cloudy till afternoon ....

Sprinklers keep the grass green, "if" you water enough
There were limits when I has there
But outside of lawns, there is not a lot of greenery there

Think Austin is around 300 days of Sunshine too ...

Old 04-05-2011, 09:18 AM

5 posts, read 6,443 times
The job will be in the Mission Viejo area. Budget will be in the 750-850K range.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I am guessing LR would not be the best place, the nearby Mission Viejo would have a better mix for your taste, so will Laguna Niguel. Before you move, check the high schools on where you are landing, time flies-believe it or not.
Can you tell me why you think Mission Viejo or Laguna Nigel would be better than LR? Schools? neighborhood feel? People?
Thanks so much!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
. The Real Housewives of OC are definately the minority here.
Well, that is a relief! I can't watch that show without totally regreting this move. Especially with Tamara now living in Ladera. LOL
I'm sure that there are people like that everywhere but OC seems to have the jackpot.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,857,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDistance View Post
Can you tell me why you think Mission Viejo or Laguna Nigel would be better than LR? Schools? neighborhood feel? People?
Thanks so much!
I lived there for a few years and had kids in schools. I know generalizations are always wrong, but I had more of my coworkers living in LR that were into leasing fancy cars and bragging about their plastic surgery. I think protecting kids is possible, but it still has its effect. Mind you this was before the real estate in the area went bust, so most of these people were in the finance industry and actually made fun of us, lowly people who had to work to make a living.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I lived there for a few years and had kids in schools. I know generalizations are always wrong, but I had more of my coworkers living in LR that were into leasing fancy cars and bragging about their plastic surgery. I think protecting kids is possible, but it still has its effect. Mind you this was before the real estate in the area went bust, so most of these people were in the finance industry and actually made fun of us, lowly people who had to work to make a living.
I experienced the same.
However, Laguna Niguel is not the resolution to the above

Laguna Niguel is also an older crowd

More young family types in Ladera Ranch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County