Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 01:37 AM

26 posts, read 68,674 times

Advertisements

Hey all, Im sure a billion of these are posted per day, but you all know Orange County so much better than I do, I'd love some feedback.

I'll be starting a consulting position that is somewhere around 40% travel, 40% work from home, and 20% office work. The job is in Irvine, very near the John Wayne airport.

I am young and not exactly rolling in dough. This job will pay 6 figures but I'd still like to live modestly and get myself on solid financial footing. My budget for housing is somewhere around 1k/month.

That being said, with a significant amount of my time spent working from home, I'd really like to get the most bang for my buck as far as living quarters are concerned. Ideally I'd like to rent and split a 3 bedroom house somewhere that makes commuting to the 405/55 intersection area relatively simple.

I've been suggested to look in Costa Mesa by a couple friends, as it may be a little cheaper and more young-friendly than actually living in Irvine.

I am open to suggestions and would love to hear input about convenient locations to live, apartment vs house rental, etc etc.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 03:39 AM

394 posts, read 963,527 times
With $1K per month budget for housing, you will need to find a roommate, whether you choose to live in Irvine, Costa Mesa or Newport Beach. There are many opportunities available whether it be a house, condo or apartment. That being said, Costa Mesa is a more youth-friendly city than Irvine and is cheaper than Newport - but still Newport-adjacent.

Those 3 cities would be at the top of my list if I were in your position with Tustin and Aliso Viejo / Mission Viejo being other areas to consider.

You can go to the OC Register website for rental and roommate info and there is always Craigslist as well. Just beware cause there are unscrupulous people who will try to take advantage of you...

But you should be able to find many options, especially with summer coming and many "immigrant students" going home for the summer! You just need to be smart and do your research.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:07 PM

26 posts, read 68,674 times
Thanks for the feedback.

I guess what my decision process comes down to is trying to balance cost with comfort with ease of commute.

Its kind of a hard thing to think about without knowing the areas and traffic and rental markets personally.

Anyone else?

Old 05-29-2011, 03:42 AM

6 posts, read 8,766 times
Living in South OC on a $1000 budget will be difficult.

Costa Mesa is a nice places to start looking, but like robbybee said you will have to find a roommate.

If you are stuck on only spending $1000 a month, you will have to sacrifice location and move to the more suburban or older areas like Mission Viejo or Anaheim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County