Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:13 AM

166 posts, read 380,586 times

Advertisements

.. in Orange County. I will try to keep this as original as possible but am still trying to get a better 'feel' for where to narrow the home search. Though I have reviewed numerous postings and real estate listings/articles I feel that I must be missing information that only becomes obvious once you have lived in a place, yet greatly effects daily living. So, if you can be of assistance ...

Work will be in Chino.

Kids are perfect (gifted & talented and must be defended from all evil aspects of life -- honestly!). One child in middle school and the other headed to high school and yes, academically rewarding schools are needed as well a creative, productive, and secure environment.

Looking for a relatively easy commute (well aware that it is a metro area and traffic is a curse of life). Most work travel can be prior to 7 a.m. and after 6 p.m.. Would be great if school and activities travel can avoid major interstates most days during the busy commute hours.

Have spent much of life in small town America and am now seeking the California lifestyle dream. Beach, great weather, smiling friendly neighbors who will bring me coffee in the mornings.... hmmm? (note to self: learn to like coffee)

Price range in the 700-800k, may be able to push that a bit.

If any can spare a moment to offer advice, I will reward you with cute little smiley faces :-). Please let me know of anybaspects of California living which I, in my shortsightedness, have overlooked.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 09:16 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Yorba Linda fits the bill. You'll have a reverse commute, which will help to keep you sane. (working at one of the prisons?)

Hold the smiley faces. Tank you veddy mush.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:21 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
Not in Orange County, but closer to Chino is Chino Hills.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:02 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,012,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Not in Orange County, but closer to Chino is Chino Hills.
Totally agree. Chino Hills although not in Orange County is probably one of the nicest communities in the area (and you will not need to take a freeway to work) Great Mountain Vistas and less than 45 minutes to the beach. (and there is a huge difference between Chino and Chino Hills).

Lewis homes owns a rental community there with real detached homes, apartments and townhouses that may suit you best until you find a community to settle down in.

You can also try Brea and Yorba Linda.

Just beware that the 91 freeway is a crap shoot.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:25 PM

166 posts, read 380,586 times
Ah, useful replies already, teriffic!

I have not yet looked at Yorba Linda in any depth but will now do so. Chino Hills huh? You're right in that I skipped right over it due to its name. Nice option to not have to take the freeway to work. I will take a look at Lewis Homes as I had not considered renting first, another good idea.

Now for the promised smiley faces ... to David and Dinsdale :-) and a non-smiley to Fontucky
:-[ (he doesn't smile, just grimaces at everyone)

Enjoy your day and I thank each of you for your considered replies.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:30 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
Quote:
smiling friendly neighbors who will bring me coffee in the mornings....
Don't hold your breath on that requirement.

Totally agree with the live close to work approach to life.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:30 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
Chino Hills, Yorba Linda, Anaheim Hills, and even parts of west Corona(you'll save a lot of money and have a newer house along with brand new schools in a lot of neighborhoods).

Old 12-06-2010, 09:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
The simple rule in So. California is the shorter your commute, the better your quality of life.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:26 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,012,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMidwestMom View Post
Ah, useful replies already, teriffic!

I have not yet looked at Yorba Linda in any depth but will now do so. Chino Hills huh? You're right in that I skipped right over it due to its name. Nice option to not have to take the freeway to work. I will take a look at Lewis Homes as I had not considered renting first, another good idea.

Now for the promised smiley faces ... to David and Dinsdale :-) and a non-smiley to Fontucky
:-[ (he doesn't smile, just grimaces at everyone)

Enjoy your day and I thank each of you for your considered replies.
I have some friends that live in Chino Hills. I expected to find a gang infested sh!+hole. The area is very nice, with horse farms, suburban and semi-rural neighborhoods. Halfway decent shopping and restuarants (but nothing the really strays from franchises) Awesome mountain vistas from many parts of the city.

Some people have approached the city about a (pretentious) name change, but most of the residents are quite happy living where the do - In Chino Hills.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:26 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,422 times
I was born and raised in Yorba Linda and highly recommend it. Placentia would also fit the bill. You should visit those cities and take a drive through Carbon Canyon and see if that is a nice enough drive to work. I would love it, but I haven't driven the canyon for several years now.

Fullerton may also be a good option as would Anaheim Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County