Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 02:48 AM

10 posts, read 22,795 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I just got a job offer in Fullerton. What would you say are the pros and cons of living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 05:27 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,487,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunislo View Post
Hey guys, I just got a job offer in Fullerton. What would you say are the pros and cons of living there?

Shunislo:

What will you be making? This is a rhetorical question. Figure 30% of that for all aspects of housing.

I lived there for 18 years as an adult and would have to say there are not many real cons, but what you want may well be different than what I want. Fullerton is near a LOT of stuff. It isn't so close to the beaches but still not bad--Seal Beach is actually easiest to get to, in my opinion.
Downtown LA is about 45 minutes away and Hollywood about an hour.

Shopping areas are more toward the edges of the city (I don't mean for groceries) and also in the cities roundabout, which is a slight bummer but not life-crippling.

If you find your income will not get you a place in Fullerton, other cities around it such as La Habra, Buena Park, Anaheim and (farther out) Whittier have cheaper housing on average, but I would be surprised if you didn't find something right in the city, even if it meant renting a room for a little bit until you found something more permanent.

Where are you coming from? And a little more information would be very helpful as far as what you mean by "pros and cons". Thanks.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:28 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,487,077 times
Plus, Fullerton has several universities and colleges. It makes the place even more interesting.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:49 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
Pro: Fullerton Dancesport Center

Con: Traffic!

Old 10-30-2010, 08:17 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,490,241 times
It's not much different than the nearby low to mid-end OC cities like Anaheim (excluding hills), Brea, Buena Park, Tustin, Orange, Garden Grove, etc. OC is home to them cookie cutter neighborhoods.. only major difference is that Fullerton has a University.

If you don't want to live in Fullerton, try living futher south and closer to the beach, since it'll be a mostly reverse commute. Try Anaheim, Tustin, Orange, or Costa Mesa. If you can afford it, Irvine's a good bet. Avoid Santa Ana (only OC city I don't recommend.)

Old 10-31-2010, 09:04 AM

where would be the best place to get affordable housing without having to spent over an hour commuting?

Old 10-31-2010, 02:13 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,856 times
Quote:
where would be the best place to get affordable housing without having to spent over an hour commuting?

need to know your parameters of need and income...

for instance..if single..Fullerton could be nice..at least to get the feel of OC...lots of apts lots of college kids around

if married with kids..you need to look at schools...home size etc...

welcome to the OC!!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:54 AM

Would it be cheaper to live and commute from Irvine area?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:26 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,653 times
Quote:
If I got a job in Fullerton, I would definitely live there.

There are very expensive homes above Chapman, and nice but smaller homes near Fullerton College.

It has more character than (sterile) Irvine and has a decent nightlife with plenty of access to other things.

There are good restaurants, a train station and the area is by and large pretty safe.

Basically you'd have to tell us more about yourself, what your likes and dislikes are, if you're starting a family, if you like track housing, how much you can spend, etc...

Quote:
Fullerton.

Quote:
Would it be cheaper to live and commute from Irvine area?
No.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:03 AM

I'm getting a tech job which will pay around 30k starting. Then I will be getting a raise every 4 months, moving my salary to around 60kish for the first year. I'm single male in mid twenties and I am currently living in Seoul Korea, working for Samsung Techwin, which make military equipments for the South Korean Military. I make 85k in US dollars. I really like living here in Korea, people are really cool, and the city is awesome but the work is very demanding(working 6 days a week and on call 24/7) and I am ready to move back to the states. I've never been in California, and the new job would allow me to make my own schedule and have great benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County