Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 06:04 PM

32 posts, read 87,206 times

Advertisements

I did a bit of searching around but couldn't find any answers.

What I was thinking about was compiling a listing of local streets that could bypass rush hour freeways. If everyone contributed some, it could end up being pretty useful.

Myself, I work in all over LA, from North (Oxnard), to my office in Culver City, to Southwest Redondo, to the East (Rialto), and South as far as SJC (San Juan Capistrano). I live in Cerritos.

Usually when I'm on the way back from my office home, it takes pretty much average 1 hour depending on the condition for that day.

My usual path would involve going on the 405S -> 105E -> 605S > get off on South St.

I've tried some detours for quite some time, such as 405S -> 91E -> Cerritos. This one totally depended on the conditions, on a bad day it could be worse than the 105.

Now I'm thinking about moving onto Surface streets (mostly major streets) and shortcuts.
Some street's I've been thinking of:

South on La Brea Ave > Hawthorne Ave. Could this possibly bypass most if not all of the 405 traffic? And the onramp from the 405S to the 105E is ridiculous. I often found myself going onto the 105W and making a U turn from the next ramp to bypass that huge chunk of traffic waiting on the overpass.

South on La Cienega > Horrible sometimes.

East on Slauson Ave. Tried this a few times, it can get pretty rough especially during the point when it's a two lane road.

East on Manchester Ave. Never tried this one before, but I think it would be similar to Slauson. Anyone have an input on this?

East on Del Amo Blvd. A certain part of this street is pretty smooth and traffic -free. I've tried it a handful of times, but not enough to warrant the daily conditions.

one tip - Sometimes, I notice a freeway onramp is directly ahead of an offramp. Just going down one of those and onto the empty entrance ramp could net you passing about 50-100 cars depending on how slow it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 06:41 PM

499 posts, read 2,149,912 times
I'm not in LA, but in Orange County, it's not my experience that side streets in general are better. If the flow of traffic is moving, I stay on the freeway.

Some ways to avoid 55:

Depending on time, using Jamboree can be way better than 55 for getting from 405 to 5

if traveling south on 405, heading for 55, exit at Harbor and go north. I'm not saying it's fast, but it's a lot faster than continuing that painful next mile to the 55 log jam on ramp and then on to the stop-n-honk.

I don't suggest using side streets in Huntington Beach, my experience is that it's slower. I avoid that.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:41 PM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,083,565 times
I almost take the same exact route as you everyday except I exit Bloomfield coming home. I have tried every surface road imaginable and usually it's a mistake with the time unless there is a major accident. Plus, I drive through some rough neighborhoods so I'm sure it's not the safest. I can see the roads on my navigation.

If there is an accident or gridlock traffic on the 91E shortly after the 110, take the random surface road that goes along the south side of the freeway. It follows the freeway, there are not that many lights. However, be forewarned people treat this road like a freeway and there are a few minor turns so it can get dangerous if people are going over 60 mph.

Go to traffic.com and sign up for the fastest route. You have to enter every possible route you can take. Yesterday it said to take 405S, 110N, 91E and today it said 105E, 710S and 91E. Both went a lot faster than my normal route on the 105E so I think they are pretty accurate. Sigalert.com was less accurate plus you have to pay for the service. traffic.com is free.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:09 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,169,720 times
More Traffic Signals Synchronized Across Orange County - Government - Rancho Santa Margarita, CA Patch

Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 AM

7,021 posts, read 14,411,188 times
Waze is your friend, if you have a smartphone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County