Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:14 PM

117 posts, read 216,699 times

Advertisements

Oh another thing... A 9 mile commute from Laguna Beach to UCI will be 20 at Least!!! Don't go by mapquest, with traffic here plan on doubling the time any map tells you it will take you. I wouldnt want to drive from LB to UCI everyday....LB has horrible traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 09:32 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
So, I have been expanding my search and even looking at renting a room in a house, prefer private entrance, to save some money. I have seen some places like this in Laguna Beach around $900 a month.
This would be about a 9 mile commute. What is your guess on the commute time by car from say north laguna beach to Newport Coast (south of UCI by about 3 miles) getting there along the PCH leaving at about 7 am?
Laguna Beach is a great place, so why not just get a short term lease there and see if the drive is okay for YOU? It’s a new experience, and it's not as if you are purchasing a home and committing yourself to one location for years on end.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:45 PM

484 posts, read 970,029 times
Great advice everyone. In 1.5 weeks I will be out there, so I plan to drive around and experience the traffic.

No Trader Joe's in CDM!! Big ,minus: j/k. I can grocery shop once a week and so going to Irvine would not be a big deal.

As for a small place: that is fine with me really. A studio is what I am looking for. I had a 1100 sq ft home in Tucson and that was way too much room. Seriously, half of that is more than enough. So 400 sq. ft. is quite doable. I do want a kitchen, i.e. a sink, fridge, and stovetop. I see that some rentals do not have that!

So, the drive from Laguna Beach to UCI area??? It looks like 9 miles. I know there is a big hill there. So if I am biking, I am not sure why I even need to consider traffic conditions. In some sense, slower traffic is safer for a biker. On the other hand, when I feel lazy and just want to drive to work, 9 miles with about 4 along the PCH is that much of an issue?? I also am considering an electric bike which is cheap, requires no energy expenditure on my part, and I can use the shoulder/bike lane...
If I can find a reasonable rent rate here that is not locked in long term, I will likely do it just for the experience.

Well, I will be out there on the 24th.

Prior to coming I will be sure to rent a Mercedes, Botox my forehead, angle my head 24 degrees higher, and lose any depth of thought. Haha!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
No Trader Joe's in CDM!! Big ,minus: j/k. I can grocery shop once a week and so going to Irvine would not be a big deal.
A lot people who live in Laguna Beach shop at Trader Joe's and other places in neighboring Aliso Viejo, so you won't have to drive all the way to Irvine for that reason.

Quote:
Well, I will be out there on the 24th.

Prior to coming I will be sure to rent a Mercedes, Botox my forehead, angle my head 24 degrees higher, and lose any depth of thought. Haha!

Have fun!

Last edited by pacific2; 05-12-2011 at 10:45 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 11:38 AM

117 posts, read 216,699 times
Good luck!! I moved to socal when I was 24.... 18 years ago.. It was such an adventure. So much to check out!!! I didn't know a soul. Have fun. Be careful (it's the mom in me)!!

Old 05-13-2011, 05:56 PM

Thanks mom.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:44 PM

47 posts, read 87,355 times
Offtopic: I'm really surprised you found a job here... they've been laying off more and more physics teachers for quite a few years now.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:20 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
There is a Trader Joes in the CdM area. On PCH at Newport Coast.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:52 AM

@winniethepwn:

I am finding that physics teachers are in pretty good demand at the moment.

Over the years, I have interviewed countless potential coworkers looking for good physics teachers . The prospective teachers bifurcate into two distinct groups:
1. does not have a good enough grasp of physics
2. not a people person, let alone work with children.

I do have a very strong resume with experience teaching at the university level and I created the curriculum at one the the top academic schools in the US. Also, I am very lucky and blessed to have this opportunity...Now where did I put that Botox?? ; P

Old 05-18-2011, 07:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I lived in South Laguna and commuted to near the airport for a few months. Most of the time I rode my bicycle. Sometimes I could beat my roomate who drove. Traffic gets heavy especially in the summer time. Laguna is difficult to get in and out of. There is a bike lane along PCH, ut be careful sometimes drivers swerve intot he bike lane. Sometimes they do it on purpose to scare you (they think it is funny). Sometimes they think that they are just trying to scare you and they mess up and hit you instead. You really need to pay attention to the cars. Ride like you are riding ont he road, even though you are in a bike lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County