Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:00 PM

484 posts, read 970,095 times

Advertisements

@Coldjensens: how long was your commute in terms of time by bike and car?

I have read that Laguna gets busy in the summer. Most summers, I travel. Also, I hope to find a place in North Laguna Beach to bypass the village area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 11:22 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,803 times
I make ~26,000 per year, as I am in between a teaching job (congrats on yours!) and doing something else to hold me over. Granted, I live in Santa Ana which is night and day compared to Irvine and CDM...but I make less than half of what you'll be making and I get along fine. I know Santa Ana isn't real desirable and I'm not suggesting it, but just for example's sake...I have an $850 a month studio (not sure how many sq ft but it has a full kitchen, walk in closet, and the living space is plenty), a car, and I pay for entertainment and all utilities each month with money left over to save. However, there are certain things I do without--like cable and shopping sprees for example. I also don't have any debt, which helps. It depends how you are with your money. If you know what you'll spend it on and are good at sticking to it, I think you'll be fine. Gas prices are definitely cutting into my budget, and I only spend $40 a week on food (not sure that would be as feasable if I bought organic, etc), but again, I make less than half what you'll be making and I commute to work everyday.

Most rentals will come without a fridge. I never knew that was a California thing until I lived in Chicago for three years, and every place there came with one, crazy.

Last edited by Mel2882; 05-18-2011 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 05-19-2011, 07:05 AM

Thanks for the congrats.

Thank you for telling me about your situation. I realize that I will pay a lot in rent and a bit more in food, etc. but I think I should be fine. My entertainment is going for a trail run or riding my bike.

The other reason I couldn't pass up this position is that the school will pay for me to earn another degree for which I plan on completing. That is worth a whole lot.

And what is up with some rentals not having refrigerators? Or even no kitchen?? Craziness.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:09 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Another area you might want to consider is the South Coast Plaza around where Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, and Irvine meet. You can easily live there without a car.. But be sure there's reliable public transportation to work..

Old 05-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Hmmm... I have several appointments next week in Newport Coast and Laguna Beach to look at rentals.

Q: Why are there at least more than one or two one bedrooms/studios in Laguna Beach showing at $1300 or so? I figured they would be around $1800. Am I missing something?

I'm really curious as to the elevation between NewPort Coast: specifically Sage Hill High and Laguna Beach as I plan to bike this daily. To be sure, I am in excellent shape so it is more about how sweaty I will be when I arrive at work.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:22 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
Hmmm... I have several appointments next week in Newport Coast and Laguna Beach to look at rentals.

Q: Why are there at least more than one or two one bedrooms/studios in Laguna Beach showing at $1300 or so? I figured they would be around $1800. Am I missing something?

I'm really curious as to the elevation between NewPort Coast: specifically Sage Hill High and Laguna Beach as I plan to bike this daily. To be sure, I am in excellent shape so it is more about how sweaty I will be when I arrive at work.
Yeah. you will have to be in excellent shape.

You will have to go up Pelican Hill. Its not for the faint of heart or out of condition.

You will soon realize that there is a lot of truth to the famous Santayana quotation.

The plus side is that once you get over the top its pretty much a down hill coast. the downside is that you will have to negotiate the same hill after work.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:27 PM

Santayana quote ???

Old 05-19-2011, 04:48 PM

Wrong philosopher. It was Friedrich Nietzsche
What does not kill me makes me stronger
oops.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:52 PM

come to think of it, Santayana could have done a Pelican Hill commute: "These who do remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Old 05-19-2011, 05:51 PM

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County