Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 02:34 PM

484 posts, read 970,169 times

Advertisements

Hi! I recently accepted a position teaching physics at a private school near Irvine. I have learned a lot from this board already: thanks!

Questions:

1. $65K a year is what I start at. I figure on paying ~$1500 a month rent. (600 sq ft is plenty, a studio would be fine) I have no car payment, no credit card debt, etc so I think I should be quite comfortable. I do spend money on food though. I mean good organic food at the grocery store. So, are food prices much higher here than other parts of the country? I am a big Trader Joe's fan BTW.

2. I am trying to live within 8 miles of my job so that I can commute by bike.
Turtle Ridge, which is really close, looks to be just housing with nothing else. (blah!) Irvine seems okay, but I am really interested in Corona Del Mar. I know that it is asking a lot for $1500 or so but anyway where is a good place to find rentals other than the venerable Craigslist?

3. Guess that is it for now... I am looking forward to the great weather and learning to surf!

Last edited by robabeatle; 05-05-2011 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 02:52 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Try apartments.com
And
hotpads.com
Quote:

$65K a year is what I start at. I figure on paying ~$1500 a month rent. I have no car payment, no credit card debt, etc so I think I should be quite comfortable.
It’s unrealistic to expect to get a rental in Corona Del Mar for $1500.00. BTW, you will probably be shocked to find that your 65K salary will not go far in Orange County.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but good luck.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:53 PM

What else besides rent and possibly gas is costing so much here?

I have a simple lifestyle...

CL just listed a small studio in CDM in what looks like a nice area for $1K per month. I couldn't believe it myself but I am scheduled to check it out an a few weeks.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:00 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
On 65K/year, you'd only want these options:

1) Live very close to your job and don't have a car.
2) Live in nearby cities of Tustin or Orange with cheaper rent and commute by car.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:02 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
What else besides rent and possibly gas is costing so much here?

I have a simple lifestyle...

CL just listed a small studio in CDM in what looks like a nice area for $1K per month. I couldn't believe it myself but I am scheduled to check it out an a few weeks.
Unfortunately, just about everything is more expensive in Orange County. According to CNNMoney’s cost of living calculator, you would need to make $98,578 in Orange County to cover what a $65K salary handles in Tucson. Housing is the biggest expense:

Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

Old 05-05-2011, 03:05 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
You could do OK with 65K. Turtle Ridge and CdM are very expensive. Your best bet may be Costa Mesa, which is a very active city and depending on your physical condition, Bikeable to your new job (When I first moved to OC 20 years ago, I was biking from Fullerton to Costa Mesa - about 20 miles each way)

Old 05-05-2011, 03:13 PM

394 posts, read 966,995 times
Depending on exactly where in Irvine you will be working (Irvine covers many square miles) you may find Costa Mesa to be a great option. More bang for the buck and a great number of options for the single lad...

The closer to th coast you are, the higher the housing costs. Now, if you were able to handle living with a roommate (I am not) you could get a swingin' pad in Newport Beach!

Old 05-05-2011, 03:28 PM

Well, I make $50k in tucson and have paid $700 a month in rent with play money left over each month.

So add to that $800 more per month per year for a total of $9600 more in rent. That would bring my cost of living to $59,600 over Tucson. I know that is a naive analysis but maybe good to first approximation. I figured on being a little more frugal for the first year until I "prove" my worth and then I should be up for a decent raise as I am sure that I am at the bottom of the pay scale at my school.

The school is actually in Newport Coast and so Costa Mesa generally is a little further than I'd like to be located. I am very fit and could do the commute though, just not sure on the roads esp. PCH.

thanks for the input, keep it coming.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:58 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
before we were married, my wife worked in irvine for $30k a year and lived by herself in a 1br apartment in belmont shore (a nice neighborhood in long beach). she didn't have much extra cash, but she could pay rent, feed herself, and pay for gas to get to work. i wouldn't say you'll thrive on your salary, but you should get by just fine. fyi, your rent dollars will go further in costa mesa or huntington beach.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:05 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
Hi! I recently accepted a position teaching physics at a private school near Irvine. I have learned a lot from this board already: thanks!

Questions:

1. $65K a year is what I start at. I figure on paying ~$1500 a month rent. (600 sq ft is plenty, a studio would be fine) I have no car payment, no credit card debt, etc so I think I should be quite comfortable. I do spend money on food though. I mean good organic food at the grocery store. So, are food prices much higher here than other parts of the country? I am a big Trader Joe's fan BTW.

2. I am trying to live within 8 miles of my job so that I can commute by bike.
Turtle Ridge, which is really close, looks to be just housing with nothing else. (blah!) Irvine seems okay, but I am really interested in Corona Del Mar. I know that it is asking a lot for $1500 or so but anyway where is a good place to find rentals other than the venerable Craigslist?

3. Guess that is it for now... I am looking forward to the great weather and learning to surf!
Check western Irvine off Jamboree and Alton or so. Plenty of rentals, plenty walkable(for OC at least), Sprouts Market, etc. Irvine apts are pretty much all through the Irvine Co, so you'll want to check their website, not CL.

Then again, Turtle Ridge is on the opposite side of town. So I don't know how far that is from your particular school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County