Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:43 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Probably the 5, especially once you get into LA county where its still 3 lanes wide from 1955.
I drove the 5 all the way from IRvine to LA the other day... I never took it all the way; it was always the 405 to 605 to the 5...

Anyway, yea you are right, at one point there is just 3 lanes, WTF!

Has anyone noticed the crazy bumps on the road on the 5? They are not just mild bumps but really big protruding ones; seems like they could be hazardous and cause you to lose control of your car if you are going fast!!!!

So I guess the consensus is that both the 405 and 5 are crappy going from OC to L.A?

Which way is slightly better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 07:55 PM

394 posts, read 967,129 times
405 is better, I guess. But neither is really pleasant at certain times of the day.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:50 PM

513 posts, read 581,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I drove the 5 all the way from IRvine to LA the other day... I never took it all the way; it was always the 405 to 605 to the 5...

Anyway, yea you are right, at one point there is just 3 lanes, WTF!

Has anyone noticed the crazy bumps on the road on the 5? They are not just mild bumps but really big protruding ones; seems like they could be hazardous and cause you to lose control of your car if you are going fast!!!!

So I guess the consensus is that both the 405 and 5 are crappy going from OC to L.A?

Which way is slightly better?
You think that's bad? Haven't you ever driven in the Northeast, like in NYC, Philly, DC, Boston, etc? I guarantee you one day in any of the above cities would make 405 seem like a walk in the park. Lol so cute on three lanes...

Old 05-23-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
You think that's bad? Haven't you ever driven in the Northeast, like in NYC, Philly, DC, Boston, etc? I guarantee you one day in any of the above cities would make 405 seem like a walk in the park. Lol so cute on three lanes...
That section where it's three lanes around Los Angeles is so decrepit and crappy. I can feel how old the road is when I drive it. When you get to OC on the 5 there's tons of lanes (don't remember how many) and the roads are smooth and even like silk; how it should be. Yea, to me 3 way lane old freeways are unacceptable

Never drove anywhere except OC and LA.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
That section where it's three lanes around Los Angeles is so decrepit and crappy. I can feel how old the road is when I drive it. When you get to OC on the 5 there's tons of lanes (don't remember how many) and the roads are smooth and even like silk; how it should be. Yea, to me 3 way lane old freeways are unacceptable

That's the original Interstate 5 from 1955 or whenever. The land on either side of the freeway is really expensive and any improvements would mean that all of the overpasses would have to be rebuilt. To widen that section of the freeway would be an enormous task.

The 5 was recently widened to the Orange County line - and you are right, it is great! It took many years to complete but...

At least the 405 is in better condition overall - even if the traffic can really suck, especially the area called South Bay Curve and around LAX.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:51 PM

513 posts, read 581,086 times
Quote:

Old 05-23-2011, 01:57 PM

But, BB, we're talking about California! This place was built around the motorcar. The roads you refer to were built back in the days of the covered wagon!

Old 05-23-2011, 02:11 PM

I'll watch the video later. at work now.. so can i make it from lake forest to HOLLYWOOD BLVD around hollywood i guess if i leave 4pm.. can i get there at 7pm? on a monday?

Old 05-23-2011, 04:48 PM

If you are going to Hollywood, you should probably use the 5 cause it's the most direct route. It sucks but the 405 goes the wrong direction.

Take some CDs or your MP3 player - or maybe get an audio book. 3 hours should be plenty of time. Hell, you might even have time for a cup of coffee when you arrive!

Old 05-23-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbybee View Post
If you are going to Hollywood, you should probably use the 5 cause it's the most direct route. It sucks but the 405 goes the wrong direction.

Take some CDs or your MP3 player - or maybe get an audio book. 3 hours should be plenty of time. Hell, you might even have time for a cup of coffee when you arrive!
do you guys think that's doable or too long of a day?

Work 8-4 with no lunch, drive from S OC to Hollywood, take an acting class from 7-10pm, drive home (get home at 11 hopefully) and then wake up at 8 am tomorrow? Is that doable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County