Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:53 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,379,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love4travel86 View Post
Thanks coldjensens, I appreciate your insight. It sounds nice, I think the only disappointment I'll have is the lack of nightlife and downtown areas. But I do love the accessibility to the beaches!

As far as San Diego, my favorite areas (as a basis for comparison) are downtown, the neighboring areas like Hillcrest, North Park, etc., and Mission/Pacific Beach. I also like Del Mar too.

Nothing in Orange County compares to Downtown San Diego. Nothing is even remotely similar.

I am only vaguely famiiar with the other areas. I have been to Del Mar four or five times for car shows. The fairgrounds are comparable to Orange County Fair grounds. That is all that I really saw of Del Mar. I have been to Mission/Pacific Beach, but I cannot remember what it is like. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 10:02 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,942,898 times
If you like bars and an active nightlife, forget about it. Even in the coastal Party towns, the scene shuts down about Midnight (need to catch the morning waves)

As an native NYer, we would not even start to go out until about 10. Out here things begin winding down around 10.

Stay away from the new communities in South County. Pretty to look at, but boring (but many have excellent hiking and cycling trails) ...and way too many franchise eateries.

Active Life style? You will be in Heaven. There are so many out door activities around here that your head will spin. INMHO the reason that we do not have an NFL team around here is that most people would rather participate in sports on sunday rather than plant themselves in fron tof a TV and watch "the game".

Stay near the coast if you want walkable downtowns. Huntington Beach, Seal Beach, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, San Clemente.

Fullerton and Orange also have nice downtown areas.

You can find one-bedrooms in your price range in the Nicer areas.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:47 PM

34 posts, read 141,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Out of curiosity, what is your guestimated weekly budget for enjoying restaurants, clubs, shopping, bars, dining, and festivals?

Not too sure - but I'm the type of person that likes to go out for a couple drinks 2-3 nights a week. Going out to eat maybe twice a week. I also occasionally enjoy a club, and love to find fun events/weekend things to do.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:53 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,310,860 times
I think Laguna Beach fits what you are looking for. If you can afford it.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:36 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,446,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love4travel86 View Post
Not too sure - but I'm the type of person that likes to go out for a couple drinks 2-3 nights a week. Going out to eat maybe twice a week. I also occasionally enjoy a club, and love to find fun events/weekend things to do.
Wow. Say $50/week for drinks and $25/week restaurants that's $300/month or about 1/4 of you what you'd pay for rent.

This might save some money:

YouTube - ‪I Drink Alone‬‏[youtube]

Old 05-20-2011, 06:17 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,490,464 times
"This might save some money"

That video put a smile on my face! Thanks!!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:27 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,490,464 times
love4travel...

I spent a few years as a teen (way back when in the '70's) in Pacific Beach! Great town!
I'm also familiar with the Gaslight District Downtown... right across the street from Comicon!
Alas, most of my bar hopping party days are behind me, and it's hard to think of something comparable, but I know a lot of people go to the Irvine Spectrum or Laguna Beach... I hear a lot of young folks like Huntington Beach. Fullerton also gets a lot of attention as a college town I believe, but it's more inland.
Rents are high near the beach and in South County for the most part... we have an older 1 bedroom in Mission Viejo for 1200 with no central air, (the pits) but it's pretty dull here for 20 somethings. At the same time, people do drive where they want to go! Hubby and I drive down to the beach a lot on the weekends or spend a day in Hollyweird for fun!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:34 PM

573 posts, read 1,353,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbybee View Post
Stay away from Irvine, Aliso Viejo, Mission Viejo, etc.

Costa Mesa would be a good spot to consider. Even though there isn't a downtown, you are in close proximity to Newport and Huntington where there is a fair amount of debauchery. But at the same time, CM has some things going for it as well.

But it's not cosmopolitan like downtown LA. It's much more casual and free-flowing - and a lot less pretentious. That downtown feel will be hard to find in OC because OC is so spread out and not centralized.

If you are looking for the urban setting with lots of activity and distractions within a small radius, you might want to consider downtown LA. There is Nokia, LA Live, Staples Center, lots of trendy restaurants and bars and many people find it to be really attractive.

It ain't for me - but it might be for you.

I'm just sayin...
costa mesa has a downtown looking area the South coast metro with highrises, malls, and theaters

Old 05-21-2011, 10:42 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,636,228 times
I wouldn’t be so quick to write Aliso Viejo off (beach close, small, clean and safe) since the city tends to primarily attract young people. Most of those who rag on the city are from an older demographic (I’m also older and from Manhattan) who may have trouble accepting change. They don’t live here, but they still complain ad nauseam about South County’s newer communities. There is absolutely nothing that anyone can do about the look-alike construction, but some superficially confuse the buildings with the people.

There are very few bars here (You can travel to LA on weekends), but there are popular gathering spots like the Stadium Brewing Company:

YouTube - ‪Nonsense does Vertigo 4/23/11‬‏ (http://youtu.be/jOOtYTjlAZA - broken link)

The Neighborhood Cup is also a favorite:
YouTube - ‪Rick Paul - I Don't Pray Anymore - At The Neighborhood Cup‬‏

YouTube - ‪Deep Stirrings - "Common Language" - Sept. 25, 2010‬‏ (http://youtu.be/X2dozoZiLHU - broken link)

There are also countless indoor activities available, 23 parks, hiking and biking trails, indoor and outdoor pools, a large conference center, and Aliso and Woods Canyon (mountain biking and hiking).

HIKING /BIKING

YouTube - ‪Aliso and Wood Canyons wilderness park - Feb 28, 2009‬‏

YouTube - ‪Mountain Biking - Aliso Wood Canyons / Rock-It - ocmtb.com‬‏

Old 05-21-2011, 10:45 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,636,228 times
Aliso Viejo Part II:

GOLF

YouTube - ‪A Round of Golf at Aliso Viejo Country Club‬‏

ART
16 German Artists
Date: 05.20.2011 - 08.19.2011
Soka University

MUSIC
Jazz Monsters Concert Under the Stars with The Roni Ben-Hur / Nilson Matta Quintet - A New York-West Coast Brazilian Band
Soka University

INDOOR SPORTS:

Ice Skating
YouTube - ‪Mako 10.17.08 Aliso Viejo Ice Palace‬‏

Hockey:
YouTube - ‪Flyers vs Wings - AV Ice Palace - March 7, 2010 - Video 9‬‏

Gymnastics ( For ALL age groups)-http://youtu.be/aFkM6_quGcY
YouTube - ‪Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Spa, Sport Club & Hotel‬‏

NON-CHAIN RESTAURANTS:

YouTube - ‪Inka Mama's - Wcities‬‏

YouTube - ‪Beach Pit BBQ opens in Aliso Viejo‬‏

Last edited by pacific2; 05-21-2011 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County