Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:01 PM

9 posts, read 13,632 times

Advertisements

One more question: we're a European/Asian couple. Would it be easy to find imported groceries and things we're familiar with such as baguettes, pates, curry powders, coconut milk etc?
We'd be happy to adapt to whatever's available of course.
I read about a huge asian community in westminister. Are there other areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:32 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,794 times
Westminster and Garden Grove --Vietnamese
Irvine - Chinese and Korean, some Japanese
Others will have some more to add.
Yes, you can find anything here, some of the items you listed can be found in the "normal" grocery stores, the others in specialty groceries. Within 5 miles of me are Korean, Japanese and Indian specialty grocery stores.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:00 PM

394 posts, read 966,995 times
Long Beach has a huge Cambodian community, just to add to the list. In fact, I understand that there are more Cambodians in LB than in Cambodia.

You should be able to find "ethnic" markets nearby, no matter where you live in OC.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:03 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
costa mesa.:
Mitsuwa Marketplace Costa Mesa

Costa Mesa Store - Japanese Food Specialty Store In The United States

Old 05-25-2011, 04:55 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Hope all goes well with the contracts.

Quote:
What are approximate rates for a domestic helper?
Housekeeping rates vary depending upon whether you use a service, or make private arrangements. There are additional charges for extras like heavy duty cleaning. I haven’t used anyone in years, but I paid about $60/visit for basic housekeeping when I last did so privately.

There are a lot of hungry people in this economy, so things are always very negotiable with private individuals. They’re pretty easy to find because they leave flyers in the doorway. Sometimes, you just hear about good housekeepers through friends. Unfortunately, the most glowing reports (with trustworthy and reliable long-term working relationships) I’ve heard are from friends/colleagues who just happen to live in LA.

Here are links to some of the better known services (I notice Molly Maid cars around here a lot):

Merry Maids - Request a Quote

House Cleaning & Maid Services | Molly Maid Professional Housekeeping

Quote:
One more question: we're a European/Asian couple. Would it be easy to find imported groceries and things we're familiar with such as baguettes, pates, curry powders, coconut milk etc?
Asians live throughout Orange County, with concentrations in a few areas, and luckodeirish and robbybee seem to have covered that very well. You should have no trouble finding the foods and condiments you need. I have heard, though, of people making special trips to Westminster, because the variety is probably much greater there.

BTW, Diamond Bar (LA County, but very close to OC) also has a lot of Asian shops.

Last edited by pacific2; 05-25-2011 at 05:06 AM..

Old 05-25-2011, 10:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Santa Ana has a large Tonkin population. Is Tonka Asian? I always thought it was a toy truck, but what do I know?

Old 05-25-2011, 03:44 PM

104 posts, read 376,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinmamma View Post
pumpkinmamma, you will feel right at home in Irvine/South OC. I am white and my wife is asian, we have a 5 month old son - we live in the community of Woodbury (Irvine) and there are plenty others just like us we see them walking with their kids every day. It's funny even on the posters for the community they have a white/asian couple - we joke about it.

You can actually find pretty much everything you want in Irvine itself. There is a 99 Ranch/Asian market on Jeffrey/Walnut. The best bakery around is 85c in Diamond Jamboree center, you will find great croissant, baguette, etc. there. For curry powder, coconut milk, you can find those at the Asian markets in irvine, and there are some persian markets in the shopping center on Culver and the 5 (next to Caspian restaurant), and also an Indian supermarket next to Bank Of America in the Irvine Marketplace on Jamboree and Irvine Blvd.

There will always be somewhere else farther away that you can go to find something potentially more ethnic or to save a dollar or two, but with the price of gas, me and my family are more than happy to do all of shopping in Irvine and support local businesses.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:01 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
FWIW, The Center Stage Studio, a performing arts program located in tiny Aliso Viejo, is something else that may be of interest to both kids and adults (They even accept toddlers):

The Center Stage Studio, Musical Theater Kids Camp Orange County, CA

http://www.thecenterstagestudio.com/schedule.pdf

Last edited by pacific2; 05-26-2011 at 09:54 PM..

Old 05-30-2011, 07:06 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
If living in Irvine would strain your budget, Costa Mesa or Tustin would both be very solid choices in which to live, as would any of the other cities listed on this thread; all of them are very safe, and have outstanding schools.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:09 AM

9 posts, read 13,632 times
If I could ask for you guys to help me out a little more here.

Assuming net monthly take home pay of $5500 (after health insurance, all taxes), how would you realistically allocate it among the following:
- rent
- car(s)
- car(s) insurance
- gas
- groceries (2 adults 1 child)
- TV/Phone/Internet
- cell
- utilities
- trash
- entertainment
- anything else you can think of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County