U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 02:08 PM

39,023 posts, read 22,103,275 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to the City of Orange for commuting purposes and would like some feedback regarding neighborhoods. Ideally, I want to be within walking distance to grocery stores and public transit. I want the area to be safe especially if I need to walk home at night from the bus stop. Here are some neighborhoods that I'm considering:

Tustin bet Katella & Meats

Chapman bet Prospect/Main

La Veta/Main

La Veta/Tustin

Lincoln/Glassell

Thanks for any feedback/input about these neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 11:31 AM

No one has any input or feedback???

Old 06-01-2011, 12:35 PM

394 posts, read 918,980 times
The only one I am specifically familiar with is the Tustin Ave area. That's near the Mall of Orange (or whatever it's called now). It seems to be an OK area but as far as walking alone at night? That's always risky for a female - and I'm just guessing that you are female... ;-}

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbybee View Post
The only one I am specifically familiar with is the Tustin Ave area. That's near the Mall of Orange (or whatever it's called now). It seems to be an OK area but as far as walking alone at night? That's always risky for a female - and I'm just guessing that you are female... ;-}

Sorry I can't be more specific.
Thanks Robbybee! I guess not many CD'ers are familiar with Orange. Oh well.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:54 PM

342 posts, read 1,364,387 times
I'm sorry that no one had much to say on this topic...I lived on Rose Ave just east of Tustin Ave...many many years ago. I was 16 and walked home from work alone every night - but that was "then". We also lived in some apartments at W Wilson and Glassell that were quite nice. We had a beautiful swimming pool - very nice neighbors (even a football player lived there and we babysat for him). Now when I look at the area on the Bing maps it appears the pools have all been filled in with concrete and the buildings look very run down.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:24 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,662,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Thanks Robbybee! I guess not many CD'ers are familiar with Orange. Oh well.
I lived near the circle (Chapman and Glassell) in the early 90's. Very nice and centrally located. They even have their own Metrolink station. I'd move back if I could afford it.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:03 AM

30,252 posts, read 74,301,245 times
POSTED this before, but it is not there. Odd

THESE ARE NOT NEIGHBORHOODS. THEY ARE GENERAL AREAS.

EAST SIDE OF TUSTIN IS NICER, FURTHER EAST IS GRADUALLY NICER AND NICER. I AM MORE FAMILIAR WIHT THE AREA EAST OF THE 55 FREEWAY. THERE IS NOT A LOT BETWEEN THE 55 FREEWAY AND TUSTIN. I HAVE LITTLE IDEA WHAT IT IS LIKE IN THERE, BUT I HAVE BEEN TO SOME PRETTY NASTY APARTMENTS JUST OFF KATELLA NEAR THE 55. WEST OF TUSTIN IS A LITTLE ROUGH. LOTS OF GRAPHITI AND BAGERS OR BAGER WANNABES ARUOND THE MALL, ESPECIALLY TO THE SOUTHWEST. ONCE YOU GET FOUR OR FIVE STREETS WEST OF TUSTIN, IT GETS PRETTY DECENT, EVEN NICE IN PLACES. YOU DO NOT WANT TO LIVE RIGHT ON TUSTIN IT IS A BUSY STREET.

EAST OF BATAVIA IS REASONABLY NICE. WEST OF BATAVIA IS LESS NICE UNTIL YOU GET WEST OF MAIN. WEAST OF MAIN THERE ARE A LOT OF MEDICAL PERSONNEL LIVING IN THAT AREA. IT IS PRETTY DECENT. NORTH OF CHAPMAN IS LESS NICE EITHER EAST OR WEST OF BATAVIA.

La Veta/Main

THE CONDOS THERE ARE PRETTY DECENT. IT IS A VERY BUSY AREA TRAFFIC WISE. LOTS OF THINGS WITHIN AN EASY WALK

La Veta/Tustin

NOT REAL FAMILIAR HERE. ARE YOU LOOKING AT THOSE HOUSES THAT THEY BUILD IN THE RIVERBED? ARE YOU A GOOD SWIMMER?

Lincoln/Glassell

I REALLY DO NOT KNOW THIS AREA. IT IS PRETTY CLOSE TO HOME DEPOT. THE CENTURY 21 THEATERS ARE CLOSE (IF THEY ARE STILL OPEN, I ONLY GO THERE ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE). MANY OF THE NEIGHBORHOODS NORTH OF LINCON AND CONSIDERABLY EAST OF GLASSELL ARE VERY NICE. HOWEVER I DO NOT KNOW ANYONE IN THE IMMEIATE AREA YOU ARE REFERRING TO AND I PAY LITTLE ATTENTION WHEN I DRIVE THROUGH THERE.

WALKING DISTANCE TO THE OLD TOWN CIRCLE IS YOUR BEST BET.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
POSTED this before, but it is not there. Odd

THESE ARE NOT NEIGHBORHOODS. THEY ARE GENERAL AREAS.

EAST SIDE OF TUSTIN IS NICER, FURTHER EAST IS GRADUALLY NICER AND NICER. I AM MORE FAMILIAR WIHT THE AREA EAST OF THE 55 FREEWAY. THERE IS NOT A LOT BETWEEN THE 55 FREEWAY AND TUSTIN. I HAVE LITTLE IDEA WHAT IT IS LIKE IN THERE, BUT I HAVE BEEN TO SOME PRETTY NASTY APARTMENTS JUST OFF KATELLA NEAR THE 55. WEST OF TUSTIN IS A LITTLE ROUGH. LOTS OF GRAPHITI AND BAGERS OR BAGER WANNABES ARUOND THE MALL, ESPECIALLY TO THE SOUTHWEST. ONCE YOU GET FOUR OR FIVE STREETS WEST OF TUSTIN, IT GETS PRETTY DECENT, EVEN NICE IN PLACES. YOU DO NOT WANT TO LIVE RIGHT ON TUSTIN IT IS A BUSY STREET.

EAST OF BATAVIA IS REASONABLY NICE. WEST OF BATAVIA IS LESS NICE UNTIL YOU GET WEST OF MAIN. WEAST OF MAIN THERE ARE A LOT OF MEDICAL PERSONNEL LIVING IN THAT AREA. IT IS PRETTY DECENT. NORTH OF CHAPMAN IS LESS NICE EITHER EAST OR WEST OF BATAVIA.

La Veta/Main

THE CONDOS THERE ARE PRETTY DECENT. IT IS A VERY BUSY AREA TRAFFIC WISE. LOTS OF THINGS WITHIN AN EASY WALK

La Veta/Tustin

NOT REAL FAMILIAR HERE. ARE YOU LOOKING AT THOSE HOUSES THAT THEY BUILD IN THE RIVERBED? ARE YOU A GOOD SWIMMER?

Lincoln/Glassell

I REALLY DO NOT KNOW THIS AREA. IT IS PRETTY CLOSE TO HOME DEPOT. THE CENTURY 21 THEATERS ARE CLOSE (IF THEY ARE STILL OPEN, I ONLY GO THERE ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE). MANY OF THE NEIGHBORHOODS NORTH OF LINCON AND CONSIDERABLY EAST OF GLASSELL ARE VERY NICE. HOWEVER I DO NOT KNOW ANYONE IN THE IMMEIATE AREA YOU ARE REFERRING TO AND I PAY LITTLE ATTENTION WHEN I DRIVE THROUGH THERE.

WALKING DISTANCE TO THE OLD TOWN CIRCLE IS YOUR BEST BET.
Thank you Coldjensens ... This is the type of info I was looking for ... I wanted to get a general idea of these areas so I could focus my apartment search.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 PM

231 posts, read 552,784 times
I lived in the city of Orange from 1999 to 2010. My home was off Riverdale between Orange-Olive and Tustin-Rose. I loved the neighborhood when I moved there in 1999. When I sold in 2010 I really can't say I felt the same way about the neighborhood. The area was in a gradual decline. I moved to Spokane Washington in 2010 and bought a nice house on ten acres. I am enjoying a slower pace of life in the Inland Northwest. I left the area due to issues at my job, but the area where I lived was also a contributing factor in my decision to leave. Specifically, the apartments on Tustin and Riverdale have contributed to the decline in that area. The apartments are technically in the city of Anaheim, but their affect was drfiting into the neighborhood I lived in. You could see a difference in the way the neighborhood looked in those 10 years. Many of the homes were not being taken care of and multiple families were moving in to single family residences. I would avoid that neighborhood if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County