Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:17 PM

394 posts, read 966,995 times

Advertisements

Howdy kids! I'll bet there are a few (maybe several) of you who have a box of old LPs in the closet or garage that's just taking up space. And the prospect of you ever getting another turntable is a longshot at best.

If you do, I would be interested in taking them off your hands. This is not so that I can sell them at garage sales or swapmeets, no no. This is to round out my personal collection. I have several "holes" or "gaps" that I would like to fill. Feel free to contact me on this thread or thru a PM.

Things I am currently looking for are Gram Parsons, Flying Burrito Bros., New Riders, JD Souther and The Byrds - but the list doesn't stop there.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails
Do You Have Unwanted Vinyl LPs?-library2.jpg  

Old 06-02-2011, 06:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
I have a ton but I was planning (some day when I have time) on selling them. I think there's an outfit in Hollywood.
Most of my stuff is 1970s: progressive rock, rock, some punk.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:57 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
One of these days i am going to pick up a new turntable with usb. Can not find a needle as good as the one I lost on my old Pioneer.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
One of these days i am going to pick up a new turntable with usb. Can not find a needle as good as the one I lost on my old Pioneer.
It shouldn't be a problem to find. Here's a link to look at. I was always happy with Grado stuff...
grado cartridge - Google Product Search

And I have an ION turntable with a USB output. It works pretty well. But I also have a Sansui direct-drive TT as well as a Technics linear tracking TT. I love the Technics TT, too!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I have a ton but I was planning (some day when I have time) on selling them. I think there's an outfit in Hollywood.
Most of my stuff is 1970s: progressive rock, rock, some punk.
Most of my stuff is from the same era but I also have some 60's and even some 50's stuff. Most folks don't even recognize most of what is in this collection. I never bought Foreigner or Seger or Journey, cause I spent my money on bands like Kayak, Can, Gentle Giant, PFM, that sort of stuff.

And I never bought much punk stuff cause my roommate at the time was into that so I had access to everything. He didn't buy prog stuff for the same reason. So, that's one of the areas that I am light on. I have some Stanglers and some Ramones, lots of X but no Dead Kennedeys or Television or Circle Jerks or Black Flag, etc.

I'd be willing to talk to you about buying your collection - or at least part of it - if you would be interested in that. Lemme know!

Old 06-03-2011, 12:18 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post

Out of curiosity, why? Just about anything you have on vinyl is available in MP3 and, at high bit rates, I can't imagine anyone would think vinyl has a better S/N. And, even if you prefer the vinyl "sound" is it worth the hassle of playing each album to convert it to MP3 or whatever?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:22 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
Vinyl is alive and well, thank you very much. Now taking that a step further, if any of you have old reel to reel machines and/or tapes you need to give to a good home, I'm here for you. Check out one of my Teac X-2000R's.

-Des

Tapeheads.Net: Where Analog Is Real
Attached Thumbnails
Do You Have Unwanted Vinyl LPs?-reels_teaclarge.jpg  

Old 06-03-2011, 12:30 PM

It's a fair question, Chuck! Records take up lots of space and are a PITA to move (trust me, I know. I have done it many times) but there is something about the tactile feel of a 12" Licorice Pizza that I really like. I can deal with a little surface noise here and there and while there are better quality MP3 versions now available - as opposed to those highly compressed buckets of noise that are the standard - a good clean pressing on a good sound system produces a more realistic sound IMO. I also like the smell of vinyl and the ability to read liner notes, appreciate the cover art, etc.

I would compare it to somebody who asks, why would you buy a book when you can download a digital version to your Kindle or Kagle or whatever those things are called... ;-} Or why subscribe to a newspaper when you can get the news online?

I just like vinyl, I guess!!

Old 06-03-2011, 01:30 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
The tradeoff of course is sound versus convenience. Nobody disputes that Ipods and their ilk win hands down when you just want something to *hear* when on the go. But for those of us who still appreciate the SOUND, vinyl and analog win hands down.

To illustrate my point, I blind tested my wife three times, using a selection from a recent release CD versus the same selection from a vinyl record. I asked her one simple question: which one sounds better and more lifelike?

I synched the recordings and toggled back and forth using A/B monitoring and guess what/ She chose the record every time. When asked to distinguish between the source and a recorded playback, she failed three out of three times. Mind you, I waited until the selection was in full swing, so as to mask the inevitable pops and clicks that are indigenous to vinyl that was there would be no possible way she could tell what she was listening to at a given time.

All were done using a flat EQ curve and no processing.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:50 PM

Nice test, Des!

No matter how small the "steps" in a digital recording, they are never as smooth as the "wave" in an analog recording...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County