Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 06:48 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,904,595 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever considered the possibility of such a line? Are there any existing freight train tracks that could be utilized?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 08:29 PM

394 posts, read 965,345 times
There used to be, but back in the 50s, Metropolitan Coach Lines bought up the Red Car Line. They ripped up the tracks and sold off key sections of land so that the route could never be reinstated. This corporation was rumored to have included substantial financial contributions from General Motors, Standard Oil and BF Goodrich. They replaced the Red Cars with GM busses...

The Red Cars of Los Angeles

As a kid, my Father rode the Red Cars from the area of the Colosseum to the Balboa Pavilion - for 5 Cents each way.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:48 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,904,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbybee View Post
There used to be, but back in the 50s, Metropolitan Coach Lines bought up the Red Car Line. They ripped up the tracks and sold off key sections of land so that the route could never be reinstated. This corporation was rumored to have included substantial financial contributions from General Motors, Standard Oil and BF Goodrich. They replaced the Red Cars with GM busses...

The Red Cars of Los Angeles

As a kid, my Father rode the Red Cars from the area of the Colosseum to the Balboa Pavilion - for 5 Cents each way.
I've heard all about the Red Cars - supposedly key people from GM, Standard Oil and BF Good Rich were brought to trial and find a whole buck.

I was hoping there might be some remnants of a freight line or two that could be converted into a Metrolink line. Anything would be better than the limited bus service we have now.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:32 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,958,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Has anyone ever considered the possibility of such a line? Are there any existing freight train tracks that could be utilized?
Has someone performed a post CBA on existing metrolink lines? They are significantly underutilized and frankly don't make sense in our sprawling environment. How many people live and work near a connecting metrolink?

Old 06-12-2011, 04:44 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,726,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
The Metro Green Line was supposed to extend all the way to the Santa Fe Springs Metrolink station, but ended up being nimby'd. As of right now there is a bus to connect between the Norwalk Green Line station and the SFS Metrolink station

Old 06-16-2011, 03:53 PM

6 posts, read 10,656 times
I used to take public transportation from OC to Redondo Beach every day. Never took the Metrolink, but best way I found was to get on the 460 Bus, get off at Norwalk train station, and take the Green Line the rest of the way. May take a little time, but I think it's probably the easiest way to Long Beach and the South Bay using buses/trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County