Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,998 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am considering a move to CA where I will work in Santa Ana near John Wayne Airport. My plan is probably to rent for a year until I get accustomed to the area and can make a more informed decision on where to buy. If I would prefer to live towards the beach what would be some good options to avoid heavy traffic if it even exist towards Santa Ana for a typical work day of 8:00am to 5:00pm?

I am looking to spend somewhere around $3K a month in rent and open to an apartment or house. I am more concerned about how traffic is around the area.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 02:37 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickjm33 View Post
Hello

I am considering a move to CA where I will work in Santa Ana near John Wayne Airport. My plan is probably to rent for a year until I get accustomed to the area and can make a more informed decision on where to buy. If I would prefer to live towards the beach what would be some good options to avoid heavy traffic if it even exist towards Santa Ana for a typical work day of 8:00am to 5:00pm?

I am looking to spend somewhere around $3K a month in rent and open to an apartment or house. I am more concerned about how traffic is around the area.

Thanks in advance.
Check the traffic real time using Sigalert.com Los Angeles Traffic Map. It will let you see where the bad spots are during those commute times.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:42 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,352 times
If you fancy the Newport Beach area, it'll be a straight shot up MacArthur Blvd to the airport and the South Coast area of Santa Ana. There's quite a few stoplights on the way, though, but you can use the 73/55 to get around that.

You should have no problem finding a nice place for $3k/mo

Old 06-22-2011, 04:02 PM

371 posts, read 815,681 times
Where exactly will you be working (major cross streets)? There are a lot of offices around there, and 3 freeways come together (405/55/73), so traffic can be bad during rush hour, especially going certain directions.

You want to avoid getting on 55 south in the mornings, or 55 north in the afternoons.

Personally, I think you should consider living near the sand in Newport Beach. You wouldn't be too far from the Airport area. With $3k, you could get a really nice place right on the water, or on the bay, and really live the life. To get to the airport area, you would be going in the opposite direction of the traffic, so the commute you would not be bad. If you want more specific reccomendations on exactly where to live, or how going about finding a good place, let me know.

If you don't care that much about being right next to the beach, and want luxury living near your job, here are two really good options:

Central Park West Irvine, CA - flats, lofts, townhomes, towers

Orange County, California Luxury Rental Homes | Essex Skyline | South Coast Metro Luxury Rentals

Depending on where exactly you work, both properties would allow you to avoid the freeways. Both buildings were built as luxery condos, but with the housing downturn, they are renting unsold units.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:47 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
You want to avoid getting on 55 south in the mornings, or 55 north in the afternoons.
Excellent advice. I work off the 55 fwy in Santa Ana and most coworkers that live near the beach are in Huntington and Costa Mesa and none complain about traffic. Going the other way is a bear though. The 55 North is stop and go traffic going North from the 405 from noon until 7pm.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I worked int hat area for several years. From Balboa (Newport Beach), or from Costa Mesa the drive was not bad at all. When we lived just off the beach in Balboa, it could be very hard getting home in the summer time. Laguna Beach was a miserable drive, especially in the morning. For a while I rode my bike and I cold get to work at the same time as my roommate who drove. $3000 is a decent budget and should get you a nice, but not super place.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:07 PM

394 posts, read 966,662 times
With a $3K rent budget, you will have an easy time finding something nice. I would strongly recommend Costa Mesa as a starting point for you. Red Hill Ave and Campus Drive are straight shots to the airport area and CM is freeway friendly. You won't have to deal with summer beach traffic (that can be a real bee-yotch) but you still get the benefit of the afternoon on-shore breezes to cool you off.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
You also might find a house for rent in Santa Ana heights. It is a decent little neighborhood that is extremely close to where you will be working. Although technically part of Santa Ana, it is really more Newport or Irvine. You can walk to a great sushi place from there too.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:28 PM

394 posts, read 966,662 times
That is a great area, CJ!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,998 times
Thanks for all of the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County