Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 02:51 PM

581 posts, read 2,307,391 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I hope someone can help me out. I am looking at a job in
Anaheim near 57 & 91. I would be moving there in 2-3 weeks.
This Job will be moving to Huntington Beach in 2007. So I need to
pick "the right" city in Orange County to get an apartment
in. I am White / 28yo / straight / "single and looking". I would
like to be in an area which is safe, somewhat quiet, and good
for dating women in my age range.

I have seen 1 BR apartments with a garage on the internet
in the city of Irvine for $1800. I really like the idea of having
a garage but do not know if Irvine is a good area for a
single guy looking to date.. I want to limit my commute to
30 mins.. I hear taking surface roads can be the way to go
with 5, 495, 91, and 57 being parking lots during the morning
drive.. $2000 is my drop dead budget with $1800 being far
more comfortable.. Irvine seems to be the only city with
the "new" apartments. I kind of prefer a newish apartment.
If I'm am going to pay that much money I want to come home
to a nice place. I also want to avoid crime areas.. Anyone
have advice for me??

Many Thanks,
Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 08:35 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,418 times
Default Re: Irvine

Hi Tom. My husband and I lived in Irvine for many years before moving to the Boston area 7 years ago. What I can tell you is that it is a great town. Lots of newer construction, ample restraunts and grocery stores, Very safe and clean and a great location. You would be close to Newport Beach, great shopping and dining at Irvine Spectrum and South Coast Plaza, and really good access to freeways and large surface streets for commuting. There is a very good university there, UC Irvine (my alma mater). You will find that the apartments near the University are mainly filled with under-grad types. However, a large graduate school population is there, and presumably closer to your age group. Although most grad students don't have time to date. Also, lots of companies are based in Irvine, so you do have alot of young professionals. The downside is that the town is pretty straight laced and quiet. Good schools do bring alot of families. But, I think the positives more than make up for that. Good luck! We miss CA, especially Irvine. Can't beat the weather there.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:30 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Huntington Beach is a great place for professional singles -- but the apartments aren't new. Most of the affordable rentals have some "character" to them.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Nic

13 posts, read 65,797 times
Irvine has changed a lot recently. It's a very expensive place to live and so much new construction has gone up that the traffic is horrible. Most of the "scene" in Irvine is underage college girls. The commute from Irvine to Anaheim will be much more than 30 minutes, and getting worse each day.

You have to understand that "cities" in OC are not individual places... they all just merge into each other.

There are some very nice sections of Anaheim, and Anaheim also has a public electric utility, so you'll see electric bills of $30-50 per month instead of $100-$200. The City of Orange (where I live) is also nice.

You may also want to consider Fountain Valley -- it's conveniently located between Anaheim and Huntington Beach, and is reasonably priced and safe. There's a high percentage of asians in FV, so if you like sushi and noodles you'll have great dinner spots nearby.

There is very little brand new construction in Orange County. There are the new places in Irvine (and you will blow way past your budget living in Irvine) and also a lot of new stuff going up in Anaheim near Angel Stadium, but I don't think it will be ready by the time you move.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:01 PM

NIC-

Nice/New 1BR apts in Irvine are over $2000 a month? Really?
So what city would give me the best apt for my money but
still be in a good area to live and date?

UB50-

How long a drive in minutes is Huntington Beach to "57 & 91"
during rush hour?

Also.. (Open to anyone who wants to respond) is the Air quality
with regards to SMOG different in Anaheim vs Irvine vs Costa Mesa
etc?

Would Costa Mesa be a better place to look that Irvine with a budget
of $1800-$2000 for a 1 BR in a good area???

Thanks again
Tom

Old 09-12-2006, 06:55 PM

To Tom...wow, sounds like it is not the same Irvine that my hubby and I knew and loved back as college students in the mid 90's. That's sad. Guess we outta stay put here in Boston huh?

Old 09-18-2006, 11:02 AM

Gee, I hate to ask for more help but I am moving soon so I need more
info.... For $1800 it seems that I can find a very nice 1 Bedroom apt
anywhere in Orange County except Newport Beach. So forget the fact
that people are telling me I can't rent for $1800 a month in places like
Irvine. TELL me where is the best cities in OC to live in for:

1) Safe and Semi-Quiet
2) Lot's of 20-30 year crowd
3) Area good for dating (vs. family area)
4) Reasonable commute to Anaheim or Seal Beach Naval Station

I was sort of thinking that Costa Mesa, Tustin, and Huntington
Beach might be good areas (Tustin for it's new apts and easy
freeway access)

Thanks in advance..
Tom

Old 09-18-2006, 06:15 PM

Default Newport Beach

Tom, have you looked into Park Newport Apartments in Newport Beach? I used to work there while I was in college & grad school. Lots of young professionals rented there at the time. I understand it is still like that. There are lots of activities and mixers, which helps in meeting people. Also, a nice gym is on the property. The location on Newport's back bay is just beautiful, and you are close to the beach and all the nightlife spots in Newport. Commuting is no fun in OC, no matter where you live. But at least you would be north of some of the really bad traffic in South OC. I would choose Newport Beach over just about any other town if I was in your situation. Whatever you decide, good luck! My mind always drifts back to OC come January here in Boston!

Old 09-19-2006, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 15,369 times
Hi Tom,

Funny you mention the specifics of your new job. I know exactly where you will be working because I work for the same company. I purposely bought in Irvine (near Spectrum, I-5 and I-405) so as to be central to any potential job changes. The newest neighborhoods in Irvine, Tustin, and Newport Beach would probably serve you well, particularly if the price tag for 1 bedroom rentals doesn't scare you. In fact, I was renting at Baypointe in Newport Beach not long ago... and it was wonderful. All of the Irvine Company rental properties are well managed. removed will get you in touch with what they have available.

Lots and lots of 20-something singles in our area of Irvine, Costa Mesa, and Newport. No problems there. Just be advised, MANY people in this area fit the "OC" stereotype and are quite concerned with outer appearances and monetary pursuits as opposed to the deeper, more important things in life. That being said, there are many wonderful people here as well.

As far as commuting goes, I have no problem whatsoever as I am driving opposite the worst of the traffic. I also leave early so as to be at work by 7, and leave the office no later than 4. I never have a problem making it between south Irvine and Anaheim in 25 minutes. Consider this: Irvine is a city of over 200k, and there are over 3 jobs for every resident (something like that is what I read). It pays to live in an area where everyone else is coming in to work during the day... it really helps the traffic patterns for you.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Marka; 09-20-2006 at 07:58 AM..

Old 09-28-2006, 11:29 AM

27 posts, read 157,348 times
Also look into Newport Beach. I was a single there and we hung out also in Corona Del Mar, which a lot of neat, fun and cool singles live. Irvine, to me-not so much since it has a lot of families but not out of the question. If you like "newer" apartments, check Newport Beach. Huntington Beach is also a great place to live. A little noisier than Newport though, but hey, people like to have fun and go out in Huntington. Good luck and remember , don't get sucked into the attitude of not being yourself. A lot of pretenders. ANd also in CDM, a lot of girls sniffing out how much you make first as opposed to hi, my name is Mitzy! Just be aware but have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County