Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:12 AM

16 posts, read 40,633 times

Advertisements

Hi there. My family is also actively looking for rental housing for our first year in either Laguna Niguel or San Clemente-we plan to buy next summer. We too love older homes, so a midcentury home would be fantastic. Thanks so much for the detailed posts regarding housing!

Most of the rental homes we have found in LN in our price range (<3500) are in the Hidden Hill Elementary school boundary. Any experience/thoughts on this school? In addition, we have the opportunity to rent a great older home in SC in the Clarence Lobo school. PLEASE chime in with any info. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 06:53 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vary View Post
Also, while it really isn't a big drive to either high school, be aware that there is no busing at the high school level at all for Capo Unified. They got rid of all HS busing three years ago. Middle school busing is limited to only the kids farthest away from the school.
So did they lower the driving age to 14?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:38 AM

23 posts, read 54,811 times
The Hiden Hills area of Laguna Niguel is probably the least desireable part of Laguna Niguel in my opinion. The homes immediately next to it are somewhat run down in my opinion.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:01 AM

11 posts, read 16,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imidwestmom View Post
hi all! I haven't been on in awhile as we are in the process of final considerations for making the move to orange county. We will begin house hunting tomorrow and i would like to consider the laguna niguel area, among others. As i am totally unfamiliar with ln and the immediate area what considerations can you provide me to be aware of? It will be my husband and i, and two kids going into 7th and 9th. Work commute considerations aside for this conversation as i am trying to determine the benefits/headaches (for us) of living in ln.

I know that you all will give me much to think about, so thank you in advance for your insights!
san diego!

Old 07-19-2011, 01:19 AM

378 posts, read 760,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
So did they lower the driving age to 14?
lol! I wish! We all get to queue up on Golden Lantern and drop the kids off.

Me, I drop them in the senior lot (most of the other parents drop them at the front door, good grief!) and collect up the street from the school away from the insane crowds.

This is probably my last year as the chauffer, though. My son drives himself this year, and then my last one is a driving senior next year, so my days of being a mom cab come to an end. I won't miss all the driving, but I think I'll miss the hilarity of a car full of teenagers.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:44 AM

166 posts, read 380,352 times
Vary, thank you for the info. Had no idea about the bussing. I've always driven my kids but was wondering about school start times for middle and high and if I would be able to get each kid to school on time and fairly conveniently.

Would love to check out the schools but it seems all are closed until mid-August.

My kids are into swimming and gymnastics.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMidwestMom View Post
My kids are into swimming and gymnastics.
I have the distinction of being the first one to swim in the DHHS pool. Talk about having to haul kids around - we used to have to swim in many other places like Camp Pendleton, Mission Viejo, and even DP Harbor before we got our own pool.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 AM

166 posts, read 380,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I have the distinction of being the first one to swim in the DHHS pool.
That is cool. How did you like that school, from what I've read it is huge?

Last edited by IMidwestMom; 07-19-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 07-19-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMidwestMom View Post
That is cool. How did you like that school, from what I've read it is huge?
It was fine, but I never understood why they would build a facility in such a beautiful spot that was totally enclosed with few windows. What a waste of energy since you really don't need A/C around there. It seems more suitable for the harsh Midwest than coastal California.

I think the school now scores much higher than it did when I was there, due to a tremendous change in demographics. Back then most of the kids were from families with average incomes, backgrounds and jobs. Only a handful went from there into the UC system (I think I was the only one in my class who went to Cal). Most went to Saddleback. It didn't used to be such a well-to-do area.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Yeah, that was definitely cheap oil era architecture. Same goes for Marco Forster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County