Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:47 AM

139 posts, read 648,738 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is X. I sent in an application via the Internet. I realize you are very busy, but have you had the chance to look at my application?

Yes - Is now a good time to talk for us to talk about when we can schedule an interview? (use the word "we" instead of I as people do not like I. It sounds self centered. use "we" or "us" as it gets the manager mentally on your side. you are making them see you as a team member before they hire you. language is important as it frames things differently. avoid saying "I" because if you are not yet an employer people feel it selfish, self centered and egotistical to say I, I, I, I, I, I this, I that, I want a job. they don't care what you want. they care what they want. you must persuade them that your goals are the same. )

No - OK, well I am X and moving back to OC in X amount of time. (this let's them know you are from the area and returning to the area and not likely to pull up stakes and leave them high and dry should they hire you.) I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at my application/resume. When could I expect to hear back from you? (or something like that. this is a closing technique to get the person to commit to reviewing your application.

You can call the location, ask for the manager and tell them, "I sent over my application via the Internet. Did you get it?" If they say, yes ask, are there there any current job openings? If they say no, ask do you know of any job openings at any other locations? Do you know of any other job openings at other companies owned by the same corporation/parent company? Usually a fast food company owns more than one brand of stores. You want to ask the manager if they know of an opening at another store for the same company or another company owned by the same corporation. The manager might have an open job listing posting list for the parent company. I never hurts to ask. If you do ask if they know about other openings they will never volunteer this information.

I found a job because I sent in my resume and then placed a follow up call to the company. The hiring person told me, we are not hiring, but Cheryl is. Cheryl had not posted the job yet. She just told her friend at another company, I need to hire someone. Cheryl had not posted the job on the company website, on any job websites or with a head hunter. I got the job because I called Cheryl and said, so and so told me you a job opening. I'd like to send you my resume and talk to you about the job entails. She did a mini interview with me on the phone. Based on my phone conversation with her she had mentally hired me before I showed up for the formal job interview. I got the job at a very prestigious post-production house in Hollywood because I called everyone and their grandma asking who was hiring. That job helped me land my next job which paid more and was more prestigious. Calling people helps. Have your resume in front of you so you are ready go if they do a mini interview over the phone and ask you dates for past employment.

Practice these interview questions: Why do you want to work here? What skills to you bring to the job?
What are your strengths? (i'm a team player, i'm fast and accurate at what i do. etc. come up a few answers as you will need options based on the read you get on the interviewer. you want to say whatever dovetails into what they say they want from you.)
What are your weaknesses? (this is a trick question. a good answer is "I'm a perfectionist." this answer is both a negative and a positive at the same time. you want to be careful what you say for a negative as they will take it as a strike against you. make sure it is an answer that also puts you in a positive light. one woman told my dad her weakness was chocolate. he laughed and liked her reply. he hired her. this question is always asked at interviews and you cannot answer it on the fly or you will lose the job. you must prepared.)

I've found this man to be helpful. Here are some links.
www.harveymackay.com/pdfs/mackay16.pdf
www.tomhopkins.com/blog/sellingskills/acing-the-interview-by-harvey-mackay
www.harveymackay.com/how-to-spend-your-first-day-in-the-job-market-part-1/
www.harveymackay.com/?s=How+To+Spend+Your+First+Day+In+The+Job+Market+P art%3A2

Please search the HarveyMackay.com website for "how to find a job" "interviewing" "getting hired" "how to get a job" "job hunting tips" "job search tips" etc. That will get you started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 02:53 AM

250 posts, read 413,006 times
Look in the business section of the newspaper.. look for articles that show what companies are doing the best. Apply at those companies. I know some of the latest stats show, Nordstrom, Target doing the best in retail. Fast food is tough if you don't speak Spanish..even at Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County