Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocation to South Orange County, California from New England: political climate, lower taxes, libertarian-republican, financial investment management firms, employment strategies, social climate, earthquake effect on real estate and out-migration

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:25 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post

You'll do great here. My wife is a financial analyst and has never had trouble. If you can't find a finance position in the "orange delta" (My phrase for the triangular area formed of the 55/405/5, and the businesses in and surrounding it) then you are not trying very hard.

I was born and raised here in Newport Beach. My experience is not necessarily typical, but I would say most of my friends growing up came from one of two types: Dad was a high-ranking officer in a medium to large corporation, or family had their own business. Doctors are also common.

Socially, anyone with manners, conversational skill, and a decent set of clothes can fit in. Do you bathe and comb your hair? Do you floss to keep food out of your teeth? People here are not "nobility" and won't know your family, as in something like "Oh, are you from the Newport Beach Smiths, or the Villa Park Smiths?"
Don't worry about that. the only prerequisite for social acceptance here is money.
These are great insights into the local community. If you will notice that I mentioned that I was very specific about living.working in a wealthy community becuase I realize that employment and advancement opportunities are more abundant in such areas.

Coming from Boston/New York, I am happy to hear that such sobility does not exist in NB. Maybe its an eastern old money phenomenon, but I have gotten so used to family X of Boston, or family Y of New York meaning something.

Later in my career, I would like to ideally like to work for myself. So I am looking for jobs that will position me for this shift. I would like to get the experience, advance the skill set and hopefully save some money for the future. Do you know what type of entrepenuerial climate exists in Newport or other parts of the County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly1975 View Post
Please let me know how everything turns out for you. Your summary essentially equals what I would like to have when I relocate to Southern California from the Philadelphia suburbs. Your inquiries had plenty of depth, asking about subjects I would have never though of. Good Luck with finding what you want, maybe one day you'll be back to answer questions for others looking to relocate. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through your posts. I owe you one.
Hey I appreciate the kind words! I hope others don't mind my responses to the indidividual messages. I think that if you guys are taking the time to help me out, the least I can do is respond to you all individually.

Since you're in the same situation, I would recommend that you plan, plan, and plan some more. I have gone out an read up on Orange County, researched the Internet (including this site) and started talking to everyone and anyone from there.

As I mentioned earlier, I am working on a 1-2 month internship in the area. This will help me get acclimated and make choices based on experience. I anticipate flying out with a suitcase of clothes,renting a room/apartment for a temporary period and working hard those two months. If I can secure a position at that firm or any other firm, I will return to Boston, pack up and move out there. Thats the working plan so far.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevercoldcall View Post

My girlfriend is from Westchester County, NY and spent most of her adult life living in Connecticut and agrees with me on this even more than I do! I'm from a blue-collar area of NJ and am now a successful entrepreneur (like many of my neighbors are) and feel entirely comfortable here. While living in Arizona, I got dirty looks about a hundred times a day thanks to my earrings/torn-up jeans/shaved head look, but that has never happened once in Newport. What a nice change.

Newport Beach is only snobby on television, so I'd certainly take it with a grain of salt when you hear someone attack our wonderful community as "snobby." Just because most people here live in nice houses and drive nice cars does not make us snobs.

Politically, the area is very republican-libertarian. If I had to describe myself politically I'd say "Randian." (Or Objectivist.) That seems to be the case with my neighbors as well. Orange County is also notoriously gun-friendly for California. CCW permits are accessible (I have one) and most of my neighbors are also gun owners. Taxes are another story since we're subject to Sacramento on that one, but coming from New England, it's not that bad (and my actually be lower depending on what state you're in now).
This is exactly why I like Orange County. Atlas Shrugged is my favorite book. I am not into guns but certainly like to ensure that the right is preserved, and would love to be in an "entrepenuerial environment" if that makes any sense.

Mass. has some ridiculous taxes. Despite the efforts of the series of Republican governers to reduce taxes (and the Taxachusets reputation), they still exist.

In regards to running your own business, do you mind if I as a few questions? If would happy to PM you if confedenttiality is a concern.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:46 PM

110 posts, read 440,137 times
Just moved to Irvine from Cambridge. You're wrong if you think taxes are lower here. What ridiculous taxes does MA have, can you actually name one? Are they more ridiculous than the 7.5% sales tax on EVERYTHING? While rents are about the same you don't really get much more and you'll miss being able to walk places. The money you save on gas alone right now should be a big consideration.

Don't think that "new money" is better than the "old money" back east. People there talk about families they are connected to because it's a community. You won't find that out here.

You're also making too much about the politics of an area. I'm a liberal and I could care less what the people around me think. As a matter of fact, they do NOT think about politics unless it means a change to their little lives. People in the north east seem to really care about politics. You'll met far more hard core republicans in the NE than you will here. Move to the south shore. There are very affluent communities there that are not liberal values places.

Visit first. If you think you know the area because you read about it on the internet, you're wrong. Take a couple weeks and stay in the area. It really sounds like your mind is made up. But, you should think hard before you make the move. We jumped because of the weather and regret it. People are more open and real back east.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:37 PM

630 posts, read 2,226,877 times
slang75: you are correct taxes in California are high, some people don't realize that until they actually come here to live. The weather is great, but traffic, smog, congestion, housing and the cost ratio of income to living expense has a large gap. I've lived in CA my whole life, LA, Orange and Riverside Counties. I'm now moving to Bedford MA ... I make a great wage here but what I was offered in MA is more than 20% higher. The apt I'm renting is much larger than what I can get here for the same cost. I don't know why everyone thinks so much of CA but from someone who has lived here for 40+ years it's time to leave. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, but worse case I come back to what I have always called home (traffic, smog, congestion and the like).

New Englander I wish you the best in your move to CA, just because the beaches are there doesn't mean you will be able to get to them or go in the water for that matter. I've been surfing and diving for a very long time (teen years) and I don't like going in this water anymore...... I vacation to other locations for the surfing and diving now ...

Everyone must make their own decisions on what is best for them. I do wish you the BEST on your move to CA, I hope that it is all that you hope it will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County