Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 02:31 AM

16 posts, read 30,274 times

Advertisements

Ok I live in OC, La Palma, and I've searched HIGH and LOW for a security job. I was in the USAF for 3.2 years as a security forces member, and I was medically discharged. I have a guard card for CA and my own vehicle. Still not getting any money from the VA so I'm looking for a job to keep my money that I still have from going away. But honestly, security/law enforcement is all I know. I can talk to people and do all that, but I've done this for the past 3 years. I just quit my job from LOOMIS in L.A., and I can say I will never work for them or an armored car again. Nor will i work in L.A., too far of a drive. I'm looking for jobs and these security jobs are like, 10.00 an hour. And there is NOTHING, where I live. Only jobs that seem active is in L.A. I'm going to start applying for normal jobs as in a grocery store or whatnot, but has anyone had a security job that they actually enjoyed? I don't want to sit out in a parking lot and watch traffic all day, like I saw all the time in L.A.

And I would go L.E., which I wanted to be since I was really little, but I messed my back up in the military, which retired that idea.

Or, if anyone has any ideas for which I can do, I've exhausted all ideas in this criteria.

p.s. I applied for school, which would get me an income too, but it was all full by the time I applied, fml loomis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 10:43 AM

7 posts, read 13,083 times
Default Contract guard

You should look into contract positions w/DHS or US Marshals as guard or so called District security officers. duty entails feeding, cuffing, searching detainees.

call your local DHS-ICE or USMS office, better yet pay em a visit. USMS DSO last I heard starts around or about $15 - $25 hourly, no bennies, thou you have your VA bens.

Thank You for service.

BOB

Old 08-20-2011, 04:29 PM

16 posts, read 30,274 times
Yea already applied for DHS. And I looked at the DSO, and it looks like it might be good, I need to see how physical the training is, which I can't find, because I do have back problems and I can't do something extremely physical, that'll make it go out again. I'll definitely consider these though, thank you.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Most security positions are government related, and government is cutting back and has no money. There are a lot of positions, but most agencies are trying to figure out how to accomplish their goals with fewer people. Thus when people quit or retire, they are not replaced.

You might get a job sitting as a desk in an office tower in LA and checking people for ID when they come in. Maybe you could try some of these agencies that provide security for entertainment events. I know that some of them are temp type agencies. They provide security manpower on an as needed basis. Thus, you might work every day for a month, and then only five days the next month.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:19 AM

454 posts, read 1,242,561 times
I have a buddy who is a manager in security, 10 years experience has all the permits/licenses and everything.

Here is basically the low down on security.

There are two types of security: contract security and private security (employed directly by the client).

Contract security is low end stuff. The guards are often unarmed and pay is 8-10$/hr. No benefits. Higher profile clients (hospitals, energy assets etc.) might pay a little more because the guards need specialized training in that specific setting. However those jobs are not very common and mostly taken by people who have been at the company for along long time. Managers are always promoted from within. All of the pay is based off what the client wants. If the client is looking for lowest cost possible then they will probably pay 10$/hr to the security company and the security company will pa 8$/hr. There is no negotiating what you will be paid (if you are the guard). Either you take it or they find someone else to fill the spot. Its a dog eat dog world.

Private security is where the good jobs are. The company that needs the security will hire their guards directly. Places like hospitals, energy assets, government so on so forth will be private security. They are looking for very specific people and these positions often have benefits plus good pay, over 15$/hr is common. Of course with these jobs as the above poster has stated are dropping off a cliff. Its cheaper to just go with a security contractor who will do it for less. Also, yes, even government is using security contractors for their security. I know Allied Barton got a pretty big contract to guard federal office buildings. Also everyone in the contract security jobs is always looking for these private security jobs because that's where the money is. So you can just imagine the competition for them.

Quote:
Maybe you could try some of these agencies that provide security for entertainment events. I know that some of them are temp type agencies. They provide security manpower on an as needed basis. Thus, you might work every day for a month, and then only five days the next month.
Those are the worst of the worst security jobs. Lowest pay possible plus probably only work 20-30 hours IF YOU ARE LUCKY. Also you will get stuck driving all over the place to get to the client site. AVOID.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:05 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
All of what a34dadsf is true. I was laid off from my Administrative Assistant position with a school district, and I work security out of necessity to have a job. I've been doing it off and one for over 20 years, and I've always done contract. Private (in-house) is extremely hard to get, and getting a job with Allied Barton is virtually impossible.

I currently work event security for two companies. The pay is $8.50 an hour with both of them, but if when I work for the company that has the baseball/football stadiums, the pay is $13.37 per hour. Sometimes I work a lot, sometimes I don't. But don't drive all the place, because I refuse to do it. But those of us that do it need to work, so we don't have a choice. I've applied for in-house, but never get any interviews. But if you really, really need a job, any security company will hire you literally on the spot, if you can work graveyard shifts. They need them really badly, and most people can't do it, myself included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County