Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,780 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone I'm a male in my early 20s planning to move from GA to LA area in about a year. I have lived in GA for majority of my life. My dream has always to move to CA but always thought I would move to northern Ca. But recently I've been offered a great opportunity in southern CA which I'm gonna take it for what I can learn. But at the same time it is a little overwhelming. I'm looking for some advice of some safe areas to live I will be working in garden grove area any advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 09:02 PM

805 posts, read 1,557,263 times
Moderator cut: snip

What is your housing budget? Will you have a car to get to your job, or will you need to use public transportation? What interests do you have, hiking, dining, music, etc..

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-28-2011 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: Yes, the o/p knows - he posted his question in the Orange County forum.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:55 PM

916 posts, read 3,696,877 times
Check out Belmont Shore. It's a short drive and a great atmosphere for a young professional.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,700,986 times
Try to live at the beach. Rent a room in a house, find some roommates to share an apartment, rent a room on a boat. At your age, anything else makes little sense. Balboa Villiage (Not balboa island) or anywhere on the Peninsula will have some decent options for you. Huntington beach may have sme walk to the beach or bike to the beach options. Costa Mesa is a good non-beach city option for someone your age where you can still run or bike to the beach. Other options get you into a bit of a long commute. Enjoy it to the fullest while you are in OC. All of OC is fairly safe. Most of it is oriented to settling down and having families. Beach cities are exceptions. Fullerton or Orange have college populations and some life to them.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:16 AM

7,024 posts, read 14,461,613 times
Garden Grove = BORING (assuming you're the typical early 20s male without a family.)

Try to live near the beach if it's convenient for your commute. Don't worry about the sky high rent.. if you're willing to rent a room in a house, you can live for under $1000/mo in, say, Newport Beach. Other cities you may consider:

Cypress
Tustin
Long Beach
Huntington Beach
Newport Beach
Orange
Costa Mesa

Try to avoid:

Garden Grove
Anaheim
Santa Ana
Fountain Valley
Westminster
Irvine

Old 09-02-2011, 10:10 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,978,489 times
Actually, Anaheim Hills and East Anaheim are nice areas. Irvine is a nice area too. I personaly would stay away from Long beach.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,592,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thak26 View Post
Hey everyone I'm a male in my early 20s planning to move from GA to LA area in about a year. I have lived in GA for majority of my life. My dream has always to move to CA but always thought I would move to northern Ca. But recently I've been offered a great opportunity in southern CA which I'm gonna take it for what I can learn. But at the same time it is a little overwhelming. I'm looking for some advice of some safe areas to live I will be working in garden grove area any advice would be great.
What kind of great opportunity? All I can say, as an old timer: be careful about any "great opportuinities" usually there is a catch. Now, as for where to live? REally, for a young single man almost anywhere would be ok, but I have mixed feelings about Long Beach (not Belmont Shores, that is different) You don't mention what type of work, your budget or anything else. Without more information it is hard to help you much.

Nita

Old 09-02-2011, 12:27 PM

7,024 posts, read 14,461,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Actually, Anaheim Hills and East Anaheim are nice areas. Irvine is a nice area too. I personaly would stay away from Long beach.
Good luck finding something fun for this guy in those places, that's what wrong with many "nice" areas.. not much to do.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:17 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,587,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
There are areas of Long Beach that are very nice. Tends to difffer street to street thou. Naples and Belmont Shores will please thou.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:11 AM

199 posts, read 617,891 times
Where do you live in GA? Moving to Southern California may come as quite a shock. I moved to OC when I was in my early 20s but I came from Chicago so it was a lateral move. Southern California is densely populated and can be congested with traffic at times. If you're coming from, say, Atlanta, it won't be that much of a shock but life moves a bit quicker than GA. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County