Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 09:17 PM

11 posts, read 120,196 times

Advertisements

We live in Irvine. My husband was transferred to Fullerton and we are considering moving to that area. We rent a townhouse in Irvine and can spend up to $2k for rent, but would prefer less (naturally). We can definitely get more for our money in Fullerton/Brea/Placentia than we can in Irvine, so that is a factor for us. We would love a yard, nothing huge, just a place for the kids to play, and a garage.

Our kids are not yet in kindergarten, and won't be for two more years, so although we are long-term renters we don't HAVE to be in the best district just yet. Although it would be nice to live around others who might be going to school with our daughter.

We drove around some today in Fullerton and Placentia but now that I am back home and looking at specific rentals, I'm not sure which neighborhoods are the better ones for families/safety. I will check the crime logs, but is anyone familiar with these specifically?

1. Fullerton/Placentia, West of Kraemer, between Chapman and Yorba Linda Blvd.
2. Fullerton, north of Commonwealth, south of Chapman, between Euclid and Harbor.
3. Placentia, just east of the 57 between Chapman and Yorba Linda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 02:58 PM

253 posts, read 1,130,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmom33 View Post
We live in Irvine. My husband was transferred to Fullerton and we are considering moving to that area. We rent a townhouse in Irvine and can spend up to $2k for rent, but would prefer less (naturally). We can definitely get more for our money in Fullerton/Brea/Placentia than we can in Irvine, so that is a factor for us. We would love a yard, nothing huge, just a place for the kids to play, and a garage.

Our kids are not yet in kindergarten, and won't be for two more years, so although we are long-term renters we don't HAVE to be in the best district just yet. Although it would be nice to live around others who might be going to school with our daughter.

We drove around some today in Fullerton and Placentia but now that I am back home and looking at specific rentals, I'm not sure which neighborhoods are the better ones for families/safety. I will check the crime logs, but is anyone familiar with these specifically?

1. Fullerton/Placentia, West of Kraemer, between Chapman and Yorba Linda Blvd.
2. Fullerton, north of Commonwealth, south of Chapman, between Euclid and Harbor.
3. Placentia, just east of the 57 between Chapman and Yorba Linda.
The closer you can get to Sunny Hills High School in Fullerton the better off you will be.

~Cali-girl

Old 09-19-2011, 03:29 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-girl View Post
The closer you can get to Sunny Hills High School in Fullerton the better off you will be.

~Cali-girl
this isn't entirely true, especially considering that Troy High on the other side of town is often ranked as one of the top public high schools in the state. also, the west fullerton area you mentioned, while not bad by any means, borders more sketchier neighborhoods. also, be aware that sunny hills has a huge korean/asian population. not that this is bad, but the schools in the area are majority asian, so diversity is may be different than you expect. i would also scratch #3 off your list, too many college students in that area for a young family. i would honestly go with #1 if it were me, it's nice and the nearby tri-city park would be great for the kids. i used to deliver pizza all around that area when i attended CSUF in the not too distant past, so i am pretty familiar with fullerton and neighboring communities.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:15 PM

Thank you for the replies! Do you know anything about the area in Placentia that has the oil rigs? We saw a place there and liked it except for those! A little weird to look out your window and see an oil well.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:58 PM

6 posts, read 17,284 times
socalmom33,

have you considered the area north of Chapman Ave between State College and Harbor? It is a very nice and quiet neighborhood (my parents have been going to church there for 13 years and I went to Troy High school), family oriented, etc.

I agree with BRinSM in terms of option 3, I was looking at buyin a multifamily in that area and some of the streets are definitely shady & over-crowded.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 PM

We looked at some places today. Of course the one I loved is in a not great neighborhood with 14 sex offenders within two miles. Another one was in a very crowded complex in Amerige Heights, and the third is in Placentia in Sherwood Village. Anyone familiar?

I am getting a little discouraged already. Our neighborhood in Irvine is very walkable and my daughter can ride her scooter or bike out front (with me)... I feel like everywhere we are looking in north OC is just not that safe. It may be our price point? (Under $2k.)

Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Any specific reason you aren't just staying in Irvine?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Any specific reason you aren't just staying in Irvine?
My husband is working 12-hour days and the commute on top of that is pretty rough. We also thought our money would go further outside of Irvine but are finding (surprisingly) that even increasing our rent by $500 won't get what we would like to have (above-mentioned yard, garage, or third bedroom).

Old 09-24-2011, 08:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
I think your problem is going to be comparing just about any place in NoOC with Irvine. Irvine is a little bubble community. Master planned. Good schools. Relatively safe. No "sketchy" areas close by.

Amerige Heights is on the old Hughes Aircraft land. They crammed a bunch of houses/condos in there and called it a "community". As far as the oil rigs I can think of worse things to look at. (I grew up in O.C. so oil rigs aren't that big a deal to me. The whole county used to be dotted with them.)

Personally, I'd take Placentia over the Amerige Heights area of Fullerton. And I don't think you would be happy with any place in area #2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County