Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 04:27 AM

5 posts, read 12,331 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'll very possibly will be starting a new job near the Irvine Spectrum Center within the next month, and I've been looking at Irvine real estate prices, and while there some homes and condos we could afford, they are much smaller than what we have now and the lots/yards are very tiny. I'm also aware that Irvine has a reputation for great schools (we have a little one who would start elementary school in about 2 years), and there seem to be beautiful parks everywhere, too. Additionally, it seems there is a reasonably good selection of restaurants and shopping around that area of Irvine as well. We're mainly looking for an overall quiet, family-oriented community with some safe parks and a few decent restaurants nearby, if possible. In terms of a home/condo, something relatively new (or older but maintained well) in the range of 3+ bedrooms, 2+ baths and 1800-2200 square foot would be ideal, although we know it'll almost certainly be on the bottom end of those specs given that we'd be working within a range of $425-$525,000.

I'd like to live close to work if possible, and after looking at Google Maps several times, there appear to be a lot of places nearby that seem more affordable in terms of the amount of space you get for the money (relative to Irvine, anyway), but I don't know much about the elementary schools or other aspects of these areas (crime rates appear to be low from what I see on City-data, however so that doesn't seem to be too much of an issue overall) and in particular, how bad a commute from any of them might be on an average work day.

Anyways, the areas nearby I've been looking at are Lake Forest, Laguna Woods, Foothill Ranch, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Hills, and possibly even Mission Viejo or Rancho Santa Margarita. Can anyone tell me if the commute from any of these places to the Spectrum Center area in Irvine are particularly bad relative to any of the others? Do any of these other places have particularly high crime pockets that I'd be advised to stay away from? How about safe, nice parks/playgrounds? Do any of them have a particularly nice selection of restaurants? Particularly good daycare options? Anything else of note?

Obviously, I'll be looking more into all of them myself as time goes on here, but I thought it might be wise to get feedback from others on this forum who already live in some of these areas and already know them very well. Any information in advance is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 09:58 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,851,253 times
My husband works near Irvine Spectrum, and we live in Aliso Viejo. The schools are good, there are lots of parks, close shopping, bike/hiking trails, etc. My husband's commute is less than 30 minutes each way, and he doesn't have to take the freeway.

There are parts of Lake Forest that are not super awesome. But I don't think there are very many high crime pockets in any of the cities you listed.

Just FYI Laguna Woods is a retirement community formerly known as Leisure World. There are age restrictions on all the houses, so cross that off your list.

V. =)

Old 09-30-2011, 05:34 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,758,544 times
Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Lake Forest, and Laguna Hills will all be relatively easy commutes with good schools and good areas. You'll find bigger lots in older suburban communities in Mission Viejo and Lake Forest, definitely. Everything I've seen of Aliso Viejo is smaller lots and more community areas.

Foothill Ranch and RSM are nice, but a little bit further(lots of surface driving or the toll road).

Old 10-01-2011, 07:52 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
I used to live in a nice neighborhood off Trabuco Road in Lake Forest near the Ascension Cemetery that was quite convenient to Irvine spectrum. There are single family homes there in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County