Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 11:23 AM

83 posts, read 169,655 times

Advertisements

I recently moved out of orange county and to the east coast but am certainly missing southern california. The cost of living was obviously one of the factors that influenced me to move. However, my previous employer is trying to get me to come back and I'm interested to see what or where I could afford to live out there if I decided to move back. My job was on the westside of LA but I lived in huntington beach, so the commute wasn't too horrible.

Here is some of my criteria
1. I make 85k per year
2. I have about 20-30k for a down payment
3. Commute no longer than 45min-1 hour.
4. 2 car garage and possibly small driveway so I can work on my car.
5. A yard is not important
6. 2 or 3 bedroom condo/house

The price of housing has gone down since I have left, but it's still not easy to afford. I'd like to be able to afford the monthly payments myself, but will most likely rent out a room to help.

Are there any reasonably affordable homes/condos out there that I could somehow qualify for and what areas are best to look?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
2-3bd condos are about $275-350k, $275k is probably the lowest you can find in a decent neighborhood/complex, that with 10% down + closing costs will still take you over $30k out of pocket, plus I would advise having 8-12 mos. reserves in this economy so that you don't wind up losing the home that you just bought incase there is some economic disaster...that means at least $35k for the downpayment plus another $25-35k saved cash, so you need to have around $70-80k in cash to consider buying.

I don't want to dissuade you but it's better to look at the realistic picture and renting may be a smarter option during these unpredictable times! Also note that property prices are still falling.

PS - I would discount the rental income in your numbers as that is not quite guaranteed and you should run the numbers and be able to afford everything by yourself, just to be on the safe side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County