Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 06:35 PM

5 posts, read 38,807 times

Advertisements

Little bit about me.
Just moved to Cali ~2 weeks ago
I am a Cal Poly Pomona Student.
I am white
About to be 22
Main transportation is a motorcycle

Id like to buy some property in the OC, but I am unsure of where to look. I will be looking for bank owned/foreclosures. Id like it to be in a good area, but no HOA. Main purpose of this property is to live in while renting out to people. I was thinking Id like to be around the Santa Ana area in terms of geographical location. Id like to be ~15 miles from the beach ~25 miles from Cal Poly Pomona.

Where should I look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 07:59 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Look in the tv guide Television is the only place that "the OC" exists

Old 09-30-2011, 08:01 PM

I would think that you would look in Santa Ana, Orange, Tuston, Anaheim, maybe Fullerton

Old 09-30-2011, 08:42 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Look in the tv guide Television is the only place that "the OC" exists
Ha ha, I was wondering who would bring that up. To the OP, it's "OC" or "Orange County"....no "the", only on TV.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:19 PM

5 posts, read 38,807 times
haha, thanks. Obviously you guys can tell Im new to the area.

Is there any city/town I should be avoiding?

Old 10-04-2011, 05:26 AM

Whole towns? No. Parts of many towns yes. Santa Ana, Westminster, Garden Grove, Anaheim, Fullerton and even Orange all have some parts of town that re pretty nasty. They all have some parts that are very nice.

Most less expensive areas are heavily populated with comparatively poor Hispanics. Some of these areas are awful some are decent. If you have a prejudice problem then you will have trouble finding an affordable place. If you are prejudiced, then you can try to avoid Hispanics by paying more. The more expensive locations are generally, but not entirely mostly white and Asian.

People who like to generalize will tell you all kinds of nutty things about entire cities. You cannot say any one thing about an entire city, that is just silly. Generalizations tend to make people sound silly, but lots of people still use generalizations all the time. Many people will make generalized negative comments about all of Santa Ana. Often those people have never really been to Santa Ana except to drive through it or to go from a locked car to a locked building. Peering out through windows does not give you any real information about an area. I tend to generalize about south county cities because it all seems the same to me, so I have to correct myself sometimes to qualify with "most" "some" etc. thus when someone says something absurd like "Santa Ana is a pit" What they are really saying is "I have seen or heard that some parts of Santa Ana are run down and dangerous."

You will probably need to look at an area, talk to people who live there, find out what it is really like. On CD you are likely to get dramatic office water cooler talk spewed back to you and some tidbits of real information from people who actually know a given location. Further, different people have different viewpoints.

Everyone has different desires, preferences and tastes. If you identify your preferences, people can give you more useful information. Personally, I think that two best non-beach places in Orange County to live are Old Town orange and Silverado Canyon. I like them because they are different. Other people like things to be all the same with no differences, no stimulation or challenges. Some people want to live as far away form Hispanics as possible. Another guy came on saying that he likes Hispanic women and wanted to live in an Hispanic dominated area. Some people want a gay tolerant area, others want the opposite. Some like charming historic homes and towns, others want only new. What do you like?

Old 10-06-2011, 04:48 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRoaRRin View Post
Just moved to Cali
A-hem

Quote:

Id like to be ~15 miles from the beach ~25 miles from Cal Poly Pomona.
Distance in Southern California is measured in travel time rather than miles. You'll soon see why.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:01 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
. Id like to be ~15 miles from the beach ~25 miles from Cal Poly Pomona.

Where should I look?
Santa Ana?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:30 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Another "alternative" area to consider:

The border between Westminster and Huntington Beach.

15 Minutes to the beach? Check!

The proximity to Golden West college also makes it ideal to renting to other students.

Westminster, west Garden Grove, and Fountain Valley are in the immediate area along Beach Blvd which you can also consider. They're more boring bedroom communities, IMO but whatever suits your tastes. Avoid Stanton.

Last edited by ragnarkar; 10-06-2011 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: Oops, meant Cal Poly Pomona

Old 10-06-2011, 08:49 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Price range?

The closest beach the way the crow flies (from the "triangle building"), is Seal Beach, at 27.1 miles. So 15 miles from the beach puts the point at La Habra, with 12.1 more being back at Poly.

Are you sure you want to purchase a home in an area you've only lived in for two weeks?

Are you going to be going to the beach daily? School daily?

Is the location going to matter (within 25 mi of Poly) when you finish school?

Are you sure you want to take on the responsibilities/cost of owning a home and being a landlord?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County