Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:44 PM

17 posts, read 44,649 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family (wife, 3 1/2 year old daughter, and myself) are considering a job opportunity in Irvine Ca. I am currently employed in Austin Tx and make around 80k a year total compensation.

I have a few questions.

1. What are family / good school neighborhoods in or near Irvine?
2. How much does rent cost to live in the areas mentioned in #1? Depending on current rent cost, we would be interested in renting a 2 or 3 bedroom house or apartment.
3. How much more would I need to earn to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom house or apartment in those areas?

Basically, I'm trying to assess if the job move is feasible based on the desired parameters above? In other words, would 100k be sufficient?

Thanks,
- Kid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 07:45 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,552,277 times
What can you/do you want to spend on a house payment or rent?

Old 10-30-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
What can you/do you want to spend on a house payment or rent?
Currently, we pay 1700 a month for our house here in Austin. This includes property taxes, homeowner's insurance, etc.

Our only other debt is our car that we pay around 270 a month on.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:54 PM

Irvine is kind of spread out. There are newer, more expensive areas, and older (30 year old) neighborhoods.

Google some rents there. I'll tell you what I think of the areas. All of Irvine is pretty safe.

And remember, you won't have to heat or cool your home most days in socal.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
Irvine is kind of spread out. There are newer, more expensive areas, and older (30 year old) neighborhoods.

Google some rents there. I'll tell you what I think of the areas. All of Irvine is pretty safe.

And remember, you won't have to heat or cool your home most days in socal.
Thanks Matt! We'll definitely do our research on current rents. I'll write if I have specific questions.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:50 PM

It's a great place to raise a family.

The weather today was fine while the rest of the country was howling.

I hope it works out for you.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:45 PM

158 posts, read 582,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidEgo View Post
Hi all,

My family (wife, 3 1/2 year old daughter, and myself) are considering a job opportunity in Irvine Ca. I am currently employed in Austin Tx and make around 80k a year total compensation.

I have a few questions.

1. What are family / good school neighborhoods in or near Irvine?
2. How much does rent cost to live in the areas mentioned in #1? Depending on current rent cost, we would be interested in renting a 2 or 3 bedroom house or apartment.
3. How much more would I need to earn to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom house or apartment in those areas?

Basically, I'm trying to assess if the job move is feasible based on the desired parameters above? In other words, would 100k be sufficient?

Thanks,
- Kid
Wow, can we trade relo's?! I'd love to trade Irvine for Ausin, TX I'm a fan of Texas, what can I say. That said, Irvine is safe, clean, and generally a good place to raise a family.

Welcome to CA! You'll love the weather.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:54 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
$1700 is kind of the mid/lowend for 2bd apt rentals in Irvine. Better rental prices a little south in Lake Forest, Aliso Viejo, etc. Still nice family areas. Also western OC(Fountain Valley, Western Garden Grove, Los Alamitos) will have a bit more affordable prices(think $1500 for a 2bd apt), but that is a bit of a commute. All of the areas I mentioned are good family areas with good schools, btw

Old 11-03-2011, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,936 times
Also looking at a similar relo - Round Rock, TX to Lake Forest. The comments here have been helpful. What is the "water" situation in Orange County? Of course, TX is in the middle of a historic drought, but it's got me thinking about long-term water planning, and I was just wondering how Orange County is doing in this area.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
Water situation is fine. Aqueducts bring water in from various river sources and the water rights are secure. The local aquifer is replenished through water reclamation. There's also a desalination project in the works
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County