Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 11:27 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,539,398 times

Advertisements

What about Smart and Final? I know Dollar General is expanding it's grocery concepts. There are several in the IE, they were trying to get in to the LA/OC basin when the real estate bubble popped, but I guess they didn't do it in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 01:17 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,101,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
WRONG:
Aldi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Internationally, ALDI Nord operates in Denmark, France, the Benelux countries, the Iberian peninsula, and Poland, while ALDI Süd operates in Ireland, the United Kingdom, Hungary, Switzerland, Australia, Austria, and Slovenia (ALDI Süd operates as Hofer within the latter two countries mentioned). Both ALDI Nord and Aldi Süd also operate in the United States; Aldi Nord is owner of the Trader Joe's chain while Aldi Süd operates as Aldi...

and I stand by my comment of Aldis is like a combination of the Dollar Store Food Section and Fresh and Easy.
I remember my mom shopped at Aldi's when I was a kid and the food seemed like the equivalent of "generic label" crap! I hated when she bought groceries there! Maybe it's changed since the 80s?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiojunkie2006 View Post
I like Stater Bros. and Trader Joe's, just wish Aldi would expand a little quicker but I can't blame 'em with the economic climate. I remember back in the 70s and 80s when SoCal had a lot more grocery chains compared to Chicago's choices of basically "da Jewels", that's Chicago-ese for Jewel, or Dominick's.
All the grocery chains keep buying out the others. I think that's bad, considering they're becoming a monopoly. The latest is Albertsons buying Safeway (which is Vons in SoCal). I remember when Albertsons took over Lucky's in the 90s. And wasn't Alpha Beta another chain?

If the Kroger group ever buys or is bought by whoever is the main owner of Albertsons, that'll leave only one regular grocery chain here in Denver. At least you have Stater Bros. in California. The one that was near my home in OC always felt like a step back in time. Like it hadn't been remodeled since the day it opened in the 60s lol! And lots of old ladies liked to shop there... and ram their old cars through the front of the building

Old 05-09-2014, 02:01 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,943,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I remember my mom shopped at Aldi's when I was a kid and the food seemed like the equivalent of "generic label" crap! I hated when she bought groceries there! Maybe it's changed since the 80s?
There were two ALDIs near by my home when I lived in Missouri. Clean Stores. Very Functional. But there was just something about the off-brands that was unsettling...

Ironically they did have the best pizza I could find in the Saint Louis Area (if you ever had St. Louis Pizza, you know the bar is set pretty low).

Old 05-09-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
There were two ALDIs near by my home when I lived in Missouri. Clean Stores. Very Functional. But there was just something about the off-brands that was unsettling...

Ironically they did have the best pizza I could find in the Saint Louis Area (if you ever had St. Louis Pizza, you know the bar is set pretty low).
That's how I remember it too. Now Trader Joe's has its own brand, but I like the TJ branded items. We shop there a lot.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:59 PM

9,810 posts, read 11,057,884 times
Quote:
WRONG:
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi_Nord]

and I stand by my comment of Aldis is like a combination of the Dollar Store Food Section and Fresh and Easy.
Well those two stores are nothing alike. Not sure how that's possible.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:48 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,943,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Well those two stores are nothing alike. Not sure how that's possible.
I guess you have never been to an Aldis.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:46 PM

9,810 posts, read 11,057,884 times
Well, not in the United States, no. I have relatives in Germany, one young one even works as a functionary in one such store. Are they like the ones in Germany?

Old 05-16-2014, 06:36 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,779,344 times
Quote:

it's a thin, round cracker with low quality cheese...don't call it pizza what they serve there

Old 08-15-2015, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 797 times
Actually, ALDI is NOT the last name of the brothers who started the chain store. (In Germany, it's not correct to call ALDI a grocery store. They sell tools, for pete's sake.) But the last name of the Brothers is Albrecht. In English, when we create abbreviations from a group of words, we use the first letter of each word. So, NATO stands for North Atlantic Treaty Organization, for example. In German, however, to make an abbreviation, you use the first syllable of each word. So in Berlin, you might meet the KRIPO (pronounced CREEP-O), which stands for Kriminal Polizei, or Criminal Police.*
So ALDI stands for Albrecht Discount (OK, so they took the "s" off the first syllable in Discount), the company was in fact one company until the brothers had a falling out (just like two other brothers, the founders of Adidas and Puma) and ALDI separated into ALDI Nord and ALDI Sued. To say that Trader Joe's and ALDI are one company, I think, is not really correct. What is certainly true is that ALDI (the only ALDI we know in the U.S) owns Trader Joe's. But the two stores are very different; I prefer ALDI, although Trader Joe's - at least in California - has a huge inventory of interesting things. They're just pricey. ALDI is a consistent bargain.
*look below

* In Nazi (National Sozialistische) Germany, you may have encountered the GESTAPO, or Geheim Staats Polizei, Secret State Police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County