Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:27 AM

3 posts, read 16,082 times

Advertisements

I am about to move and start working at Mission Viejo Hospital and am looking for an apt in the area. I am a 27yo single male and looking for an area that has a good social environment for young educated professionals. I am looking for active night life and clean active town for daily activities as well. I have no clue where to start looking. I am open to anywhere from Dana point to Laguna to Irvine(near the 5). Any advise would be great! Thanks!

Last edited by strizzy; 11-21-2011 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 10:49 PM

378 posts, read 761,075 times
Irvine sounds right up your alley. Great place for young, single professionals.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:57 PM

283 posts, read 626,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vary View Post
Irvine sounds right up your alley. Great place for young, single professionals.
I disagree, I think Irvine is great for families, not so much for young single professionals. Most young single professionals like to live an area where there is nightlife, Irvine does not have nightlife.

I think the OP is better off living close to work than living in Irvine as the nightlife in Mission Viejo is very similar to the nightlife in Irvine. Why move to Irvine and put up with that commute when they are both basically the same?

Old 11-22-2011, 12:05 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
I don't know about Dana Point, but Laguna Beach at least has some night life. If I were young, single, and had the money, that's where I'd live.

V. =)

Old 11-22-2011, 04:06 AM

Just an update. Cost is of no factor to where I live. My company pays for rent and all utilities. SoCalPal is right that I mostly just want to be around a very clean town with active night life, and I want to be in an area with people of similar lifestyle (educated young adults 24-35 years old). If theres not much difference in the areas then proximity to work would be the deciding factor.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:03 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,529,294 times
These are pretty much bedroom communities........including Laguna NIGUEL.
Laguna BEACH has more stuff going on, but unless the op is gay, I wouldn't suggest moving there as a single person...... It is a nice beach area and draws summer and weekend crowds, but it gets very crowded, parking is a pain and it is not a place where locals go during the weekends unless they have company....all along PCH, it's a flat walk, but for locals living in the hills, it's a good workout when one takes a walk..... Also, getting to the hospital from Laguna Beach is a slow commute......

Saddleback College is right by Mission Hospital..(and the hospital is right by the mall)....and even though it's a commuter school, (all ages go there, not just teens fresh out of high school), there are some apartments near the school and mall......

Irvine is a family community, too, but there are lots of apartments and condos near UCI.....but the commute would be a pain....Irvine also has a high number of Asians, in case that is a factor...I'd much rather live closer to the hospital and get a feel for the area and go to various areas for recreation......surf in San Clemente, walk at the harbor in Dana Point, general shopping in Aliso Viejo, boutiques and overpriced restaurants in Laguna Beach, (but still, a fun area), movie theaters in Aliso, good restaurants scattered throughout all of these towns, world-class mall in Costa Mesa, decent malls in Mission Viejo and Laguna Hills, great bike-hiking trail that runs through Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, etc......

Leisure World, which is now called Laguna Woods, runs up against Laguna Hills and Aliso Viejo.....very much retirement, so stay away from that area......

If cost is no factor, check out the rent in Ocean Ranch, (which is in Laguna Niguel, very close to the Dana Point border). It's a development that has customs, 2 sizes of tracts and townhouses). It's cooler there, (ocean breezes). There are other developments by Ocean Ranch....I am sure there are plenty of townhouses to rent with the economy being the way it is...

What the op REALLY wants is a Marina del Rey-Redondo Beach-Santa Monica area in S. County and it ain't gonna happen......

Old 11-22-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
What the op REALLY wants is a Marina del Rey-Redondo Beach-Santa Monica area in S. County and it ain't gonna happen......
I think this is the most accurate to what I was wishing to hear. And I think your right! My roommate in college lives in Redondo and I loved it! I found a guest/maid house for $1000/mo all utilities included in Dana Point. From what you are saying, it would be pretty comp to the total area but they have a nice community. I am strait white male, so Laguna probably isnt for me. I do like asain girls though so if it werent for the traffic I would have done Irvine! lol

Old 11-22-2011, 05:15 PM

68 posts, read 192,041 times
There really isn't much night life outside of the beach towns (don't know of anything in Dana Point though). If you are going to be working at the hospital in Mission Viejo your best bet is to live close to the hospital. There are apartments off Crown Valley (Archstone on Los Altos and Camden on La Alameda). You are close to the Mission Viejo Mall and the Kaleidoscope Mall which has a theatre, Buffalo Wild Wings, Island Burgers and the Derby Restaurant is fun on a Saturday night.

I am in my early 40's and Laguna Niguel is too boring even for me It is just houses and strip malls!

Old 11-25-2011, 10:19 PM

378 posts, read 761,075 times
I was thinking of an area like that surrounding the Spectrum Center, where there's lots of things available in short walking distance, not so much the single family neighborhoods. And nightlife isn't too far a drive away from someplace like that.

I agree with HavnFun that Laguna Niguel is out as a choice. I live here and I don't see it being at all interesting to a young single. It's really the sort of place to settle down and raise the kids.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,514 times
To be honest, you should look at Costa Mesa. It's only slightly farther than you said in the OP (by 10 minutes). The commute MV Hospital would be about 30-40 minutes or so each morning with traffic, about 20 without. I live near the MV Hospital and it's really not that far at all. I used to work near Costa Mesa and it was a normal commute.

Costa Mesa has the best nightlife around here, bar none. South Orange County is terrible for people our age. You won't find house parties around here and you won't be able to hang in the park after dark without people calling the cops. The cops got this place on lock and there are tons of families around here who don't like college-age shenanigans.

Costa Mesa on the other hand, is pretty wild. TONS of hot girls in that area and it's near the beach (Newport Beach to be exact). You can find a studio for around $1k/month, plus or minus a couple hundred bucks. TRUST ME, Costa Mesa/Newport is where you want to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County