Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 07:08 AM

156 posts, read 277,947 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My fiancee and I are considering a cross country move to California. We have both been living in CT and working in the Stamford/Westport area since last summer. We're young professionals with a combined income higher than most people our age (20s) but are finding that in order to afford a house, we have to live 45 or more miles from work. Along the strip here, that could easily take 2 or 3 hours in rush hour. So while CT is great, it's really tough.

So now we're looking at other options. My company (a CT based hedge fund) has a small satellite office in Newport Beach and there are openings for transfers from the Greenwich office. I know Newport Beach is just as expensive but I am seeing some relatively affordable condos in Rancho Santa Margarita in the 180k to 220k range. Theyre small but seem decent. How is this area and how is the commute to Newport Beach? Can anyone suggest other areas I look into?

Lastly, I'm looking for other experiences with living in Orange County, particularly those who moved from out of state. We're not so concerned with fitting in because we can assimilate pretty well and roll with the punches, but are more concerned with quality of life with a HH income of about $125k. From what I've been told, other than weather, life shouldn't be too different from coastal Connecticut, so I'm not too worried about the culture/stereotypes of people.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms? Lol, thanks.

Casey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 12:22 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Commute is doable.. You can use the toll road system to make it faster. I'm unsure of the exact time, though. Aliso Viejo would be a faster commute and probably nearly as affordable. Maybe older places in Lake Forest, too?

Old 12-04-2011, 06:22 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Im a native NYer. Transition and making new friends was very easy. (OC is essentially Long Island without Guidos and winter). Live closer in one of the beach communities. (while RSM and most of south OC is very nice, it is also very sterile) Seal Beach, Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach are relatively affordable communities with 1/2 hour commute time to Newport Beach.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:38 AM

156 posts, read 277,947 times
Thanks.

I don't know a lot about Long Island so can't use it for comparison purposes.

Did some research and I'm finding pretty nice condos in Huntington for the 200k range. Anything wrong with the area? Is it safe or are there areas to avoid?

There are a LOT of foreclosures!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:35 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
I live in Huntington Beach. Yes there are some dicey areas (generally the area between beach, gothard, Edinger and Slater). A good rule of thumb is to stay no more that 2 miles off of PCH.

I have a condo about 1 mile off the beach in Huntington Harbor. Nice safe area. Be careful with those condos under 200K. They are on leased land.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Just FYI, if you're leaving Connecticut in search of more affordable living, Orange County isn't it. Newport/Huntington/Seal/Laguna are all similar in price to the gold coast, and you'll have to live pretty far inland to find something in your 200k price range. Essentially, you're moving from one of the most expensive places in the country to another one of the most expensive places in the country. IMO, you're not doing yourself any favors.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
$125K a year for two people is doable, but it is on the low end for OC. It will be tight. OC is an expensive place in more ways than just housing. While you can certainly manage on $125 K, you are not going to be eating out a lot, buying new cars, staying in hotels, or taking expensive vacations.

200K is really cheap for anything in OC. I will be amazed if you can find anything decent for that price. Look at it carefully and take the time to get to know the area before you buy anything. It will be very hard to sell it if you make a mistake. Do not let a Realtor push you into making a rapid decision. There are plenty of places on the market right now and things sell very slowly. Coming from out of state, it would be easy for you to make a mistake.

Do not believe anything a realtor tells you. Get it in writing and confirm any factual statements that they make from other sources. Many (not all) realtors are desperate and will say anything to get a sale.

You might be better off renting for a while until you can afford more for a condo or home. It is unlikely that prices are going to go up mush in the near future (possible that they could fall even more). It does not hurt you to rent for a while and make absolutely certain that you are buying in the place where you want ot be for the next five or more years.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:59 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
CapitalGuy, did you finally move? We are thinking of a similar move from Stamford/Greenwich to LA/SD because the house prices and taxes here are out of control. I know CA is similar but at least the weather is nice.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:10 PM

7 posts, read 12,381 times
I moved to OC it iS expensive and I have to move back to my home state because i'm going broke because of CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County