Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 03:11 PM

371 posts, read 815,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Hard to listen to someone say "like" before every other word too, but such is the way many people talk today. I consider "the OC" to be a similar practice. It's just how people talk now. I don't like it either.
That is kinda how I feel about it. I don't like it, but it is prevelant enough now where I'm not going to correct someone or roll my eyes at this point. I'll just have to live with it, I guess, despite how annoying it is.

It is kinda nice when I hear someone actually say "OC," because I know I am dealing with a hardcore, old-timer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiojunkie2006 View Post
The use of "Cali" always frosts me! Though I'll use "Frisco" to frost the San Franciscans!
With "the OC," unlike "Cali" or "Frisco," people living here actually use it. I've literally never heard someone from California use the term "Cali." But, with "the OC," it seems, unfortunatly, that it is common for people living here (even for a long, long time) to say "the OC."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 04:57 PM

199 posts, read 618,334 times
My 28 year old daughter who was born in Santa Ana but raised in Chicago sometimes uses 'Cali' and I constantly correct her. Maybe she'll quit after we move back this January.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:56 PM

484 posts, read 969,854 times
Might as well get used to it. I mean come on, this is the only place in the country that I have been that uses "the" before referring to a highway, e.g. "the 405."

Or maybe OC has become such a caricature of itself that it is now really "the OC."

Old 12-13-2011, 06:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
Might as well get used to it.
Not as long as Fontucky, Ol' Wanderer, a few others and I have breath.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:22 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
Might as well get used to it. I mean come on, this is the only place in the country that I have been that uses "the" before referring to a highway, e.g. "the 405."

Or maybe OC has become such a caricature of itself that it is now really "the OC."
I think I actually heard one of the "housewives" say "THE OC" on the reunion show the other night. I was shocked! I lived there for two years and have never heard any locals use that term.

Thanks for the comment about the freeways. I never heard anyone use "the" in front of a route number until I moved to Cali....I mean, the OC....well, you get my drift.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:51 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,536,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
I grew up in Orange County and we would commonly call the it "OC."

Things came to a head the other day when my co-worker, who grew up in Orange County, used the phrase "the OC," several times in a conversation. I asked her about it and she said that it seems like most people say "the OC" now, so she just must have subconciously switched over.

So, the show has been gone and forgotten for years, but I guess the phrase is here to stay. I'm sticking to "OC," though.
Just another first world problem!

Old 12-14-2011, 08:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
People use "the OC" and "Cali" because they thinnk it makes them sound like cool and hip insiders.

In reality it makes them sound like dorks.

Reeal cool and hip insiders either hate it. (About 60%)

Ignore it and don't care (about 25%)

Jump on the badnwagon (about 15%).

Actually the last group should be 0% becuase people who use "the OC or Cali are not cool and hip.

Caveat: You can still be cool and hip when using Cali if you are talking about the city in Columbia.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:44 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,876,449 times
The best way to tell if someone doesn't live in OC, is the hear them call it The OC. It shows they are a classless foreigner and not someone who lives in OC....
It is NEVER OK to call it The OC....!

Old 12-14-2011, 10:10 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
People use "the OC" and "Cali" because they thinnk it makes them sound like cool and hip insiders.

In reality it makes them sound like dorks.

Reeal cool and hip insiders either hate it. (About 60%)

Ignore it and don't care (about 25%)

Jump on the badnwagon (about 15%).

Actually the last group should be 0% becuase people who use "the OC or Cali are not cool and hip.

Caveat: You can still be cool and hip when using Cali if you are talking about the city in Columbia.
Yep. that pretty much sums it up.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:47 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I think I actually heard one of the "housewives" say "THE OC" on the reunion show the other night. I was shocked! I lived there for two years and have never heard any locals use that term.

Thanks for the comment about the freeways. I never heard anyone use "the" in front of a route number until I moved to Cali....I mean, the OC....well, you get my drift.
lol! I moved to Denver 5 years ago from OC and still have to say "the" before freeway names. Everyone else sounds odd to me. Although there are so many Californians here, I hear people refer to "the 70, the 25", etc. and even on traffic reports.

My guess about the use of "the" is just because there are so many freeways that when you give directions, it's easier. "You take SR 55 to SR 91, then get on I-605 north to I-105 west..." It's just too cumbersome. Easier to say, "Take the 55 to the 91 to the 605 to the 105". And in other countries I've been to, they use "the". I lived in Germany and we always referred to autobahns that way. "Take the A-6 to the A-67", and in England the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County