Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:12 AM

371 posts, read 813,598 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Orange County and we would commonly call the it "OC."

No one ever said "the OC," and doing so would not make sense. It is just not the way it is done. No one says they live in "the LA," "the SF" or "the NYC." If you were telling someone that Disneyland was in Orange County, you would say "Disneyland is in Orange County," not "Disneyland is in the Orange County." Then, why would saying "Disneyland is in the OC," make any sense? It just doesn't.

Anyways, as you all know, there was that TV show a number of years ago called "The OC." At the time, I was going to school up in Northern California. I was a little taken aback when people up there started calling Orange County, "the OC." They would ask me whether I was going back to "the OC" for the holiday break, or whether I was moving back to "the OC" after school was done. I found this mildly annoying, but tolerated it because most of these people knew little about OC other then the TV show.

But, I also noticed that back in OC, once I moved back, that some people were also using the phrase "the OC." I remember by new boss calling it "the OC," even though he had lived in the county for years (but grew up in New Jersey). I even read an article in the New York Times that referred to our beloved county as "the OC." I remember also seeing an article in the LA Times that referred to Orange County as "the OC." This caught me off guard, but this was LA after all.

I figured, however, that once the show ended and was forgotten, then people would move on from using that phrase. But, it has stuck, much to my shagrin. In the past couple of years, I've even seen writers in the Orange County Register using the phrase (not all the time, though). Thankfully, the OC Weekly, is the one publication that faithfully seems to stick to saying "OC," rather then "the OC."

Things came to a head the other day when my co-worker, who grew up in Orange County, used the phrase "the OC," several times in a conversation. I asked her about it and she said that it seems like most people say "the OC" now, so she just must have subconciously switched over.

So, the show has been gone and forgotten for years, but I guess the phrase is here to stay. I'm sticking to "OC," though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 11:23 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,569,402 times
People from new york and chicago and other foriegners all it "the OC".

Old 12-13-2011, 11:27 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,798,347 times
And here is where it pretty much started..a true classic indeed.

The O.C. best music moment #43 - Welcome to the O.C., *****! - YouTube

Old 12-13-2011, 11:29 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,837,189 times
It's never ok to say it.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 AM

371 posts, read 813,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
People from new york and chicago and other foriegners all it "the OC".
I agree. When the show first came out, and the years afterwords, hearing someone say "the OC," was an easy signal that the person didn't grow up in OC.

But, then when you see it in the OC Register, and start to hear people who grew up in the area saying it, then you have to begin to wonder.

You will never hear me say it, however, that is for sure.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,070,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
But, then when you see it in the OC Register, and start to hear people who grew up in the area saying it, then you have to begin to wonder.
The old timers don't say it. The old timers don't even think it. Yech, just the thought is bringing on a rash.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:36 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,042,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The old timers don't say it. The old timers don't even think it. Yech, just the thought is bringing on a rash.
Agree.

In addition, a handful of people using a word do not make it right.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:45 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,330,011 times
Default Seems to be the way people talk today

Hard to listen to someone say "like" before every other word too, but such is the way many people talk today. I consider "the OC" to be a similar practice. It's just how people talk now. I don't like it either.

"I'm like so like tired, but I'm like so over that guy in the OC, OMG!"

Old 12-13-2011, 02:47 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,837,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Hard to listen to someone say "like" before every other word too, but such is the way many people talk today.
That one is so irritating to me, I politely ask them to drop the like abuse. If they continue with it, I disengage.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:52 PM

199 posts, read 617,129 times
The use of "Cali" always frosts me! Though I'll use "Frisco" to frost the San Franciscans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County