Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 PM

160 posts, read 432,131 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone

Would like to take my family to Disneyland, Anaheim, CA in April of this year.

I have a 6 year old son and 4 year old daughter.

I see that a few hotels exist on the property. We are trying to watch our budget (as realistically as possible, it is Disneyland...) and would like to know

1. What property on site is cheapest ?

2. What pros/cons exist for staying on site versus off site at another hotel. How expensive are the meals at the Disney hotels. Do these off site hotels offer shuttles to Disney ?

3. If off-site, what hotel is recommended ?

I am trying to balance budget with hotel luxury

Thank You everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 08:39 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Look right across S Harbor. No need for a shuttle, you are literally across the street. Check out the Park Vue Inn, that's where my daughter stayed last year, but there are others. Google for reviews of them.

I've stayed at the $$$ places too and what they have going for them is usually more soundproofing and swanky lobbies and, yes, very expensive dining options.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:41 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,909 times
Oh, this is right up my alley!!! We love the Howard Johnson hotel right outside the Main Gate. An easy walk in and has Mimi's Cafe next door and McDonalds. And, the hotel as a mini water park for the kids! Try to get a room in the 2-story buildings.You can get adjoining rooms for more people. I love the gardens around the hotel as is very restful after a full day of Disneyland!!!!! What fun, and the prices are very reasonable.And, parking is easy and free!!

Here is the phone number and the website:
1-800-422-4228
Retro Family Fun Hotel Near Disneyland Park Featuring Castaway Cove - A Watery Pirate Playground | Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel

Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 AM

199 posts, read 618,468 times
Check tripadvisor.com for reviews.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:47 AM

575 posts, read 1,778,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpritjr View Post
Hello Everyone

I see that a few hotels exist on the property. We are trying to watch our budget (as realistically as possible, it is Disneyland...) and would like to know

Onsite properties, ordered from outrageously expensive to slightly less so:
Grand Californian, Disneyland Hotel, Paradise Pier

2. What pros/cons exist for staying on site versus off site at another hotel. How expensive are the meals at the Disney hotels. Do these off site hotels offer shuttles to Disney ?

I believe onsite hotels still allow access to "Magic Mornings" (early entry) every day it's offered. A nice bonus if you're early risers, not so much if you prefer to sleep in a bit while on vacation. That's the biggest perk in my book.

Disney is synonymous with overpriced food and souvenirs.

Most off site hotels use Anaheim Resort Transit.
In general: picks up approx every 20-30 minutes, one day pass $4 Adult, $1 Child, multi day passes are also available. You can google for more info.

You'll get lots of different opinions on this one, and it really depends on what's important to you. Keep in mind, most OC locals probably don't log a lot of time at Disneyland area hotels. Might be better to research that question elsewhere.

Thank You everyone
Have fun planning!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,340 times
The Ayres Hotel in Anaheim is very nice. I don't think Disneyland Hotel is worth the $$$..some of the reviews are terrible.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
I've stayed in all three Disneyland hotels. If you want the true full-immersion Disney experience then stay at a DLand hotel. The premier is the Grand Californian but it is VERY pricey. The rooms are on the small side but the service is first rate. It also has a private entrance to California Adventure. They have a massive lobby that is cool to hang out in. Kids can sit by the fire and Mom and Dad can have a drink. Disneyland Hotel was just refurbished. Paradise Pier is nice but nothing exceptional.

If "all" you are looking for is a nice hotel/motel stay off-site. Shuttles run regularly and are very easy to use. Some of the major chains have great packages for families. If you are a AAA member, check with them. They can tell you what Good Neighbor hotels have special Disney rates and packages (including entry tickets).

Old 01-11-2012, 08:53 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Stay away from Captain Kidd's!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:05 AM

75 posts, read 257,707 times
We like the Candy Cane Inn. It has a dedicated shuttle that runs to and from the park every half hour, but is near enough for walking. The free breakfast is adequate.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:19 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpritjr View Post
Hello Everyone

Thank You everyone
"On site" is not a big deal at DL like it is at WDW in FL. In Anaheim the two parks & DTD are co-located into the "disneyland resort" and the hotels - both disney and non-disney - ring the resort. The resort itself is MUCH smaller acreage-wise then in FL. Getting from parks to "off site" hotel is often a quick shuttle or 15'ish minute walk. Many privately owned hotels are literally across the street from the park's entrance plaza.

Because of all the competition from privately owned hotels, the Disney owned hotels tend to cater to the higher end. Everything Disney is more expensive - food, hotels, everything. But you don't really get all the advantages you would get in FL staying at a disney owned "on-site" property. There are plenty of places to eat and sleep that are non disney and less expensive.

If you are looking for better info there are a couple dedicated disney forums that hard core disney fans go to. Check those out. One I used to plan my trip to WDW last year was disboards. These folks know WAY to much about the ins and outs of planning a disney vacation, but it really is very helpful info. You can find reviews and pros/cons for every hotel in the area there from people who are in the same boat as you are.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County