U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 PM

4 posts, read 4,143 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm a college senior who recently accepted a job offer in Garden Grove and will be moving to Orange County from Philadelphia this June. I've never traveled anywhere close to the West Coast and really have no idea where to start, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I'll be making around $40,000, fortunately with no debts, coming out of school and am looking for what location will provide the most value for my money. I could potentially get a roommate or two making similar money if that would help me secure a better place. I don't necessarily need crazy nightlife, but would like to be somewhere near people my age/bars/etc.

Thanks and look forward to hearing your responses!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 AM

653 posts, read 864,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs21 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm a college senior who recently accepted a job offer in Garden Grove and will be moving to Orange County from Philadelphia this June. I've never traveled anywhere close to the West Coast and really have no idea where to start, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I'll be making around $40,000, fortunately with no debts, coming out of school and am looking for what location will provide the most value for my money. I could potentially get a roommate or two making similar money if that would help me secure a better place. I don't necessarily need crazy nightlife, but would like to be somewhere near people my age/bars/etc.

Lucky for you that your job is North Orange County as you'll find much more affordable housing up there, and will have a shorter commute to your job in Garden Grove. If you're still looking for a little bit of the party life, I'd recommend getting a place near a college (perhaps CSU, Fullerton) in north OC, and you should be set. Perhaps you could even room with a student or fellow recent grad to cut cost on rent.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:07 PM

29,927 posts, read 73,215,261 times
Plain and simple you need to find some way to live at the beach for a while. Get a roommate(s), rent a room on a boat, rent a bedroom, sleep in a tent. Everyone needs to live on the beach for a time, especially young uns.

You can move to a practical place later.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:30 PM

298 posts, read 575,129 times
Look at Huntington Beach, Seal Beach or Costa Mesa. Those areas would be good for your age but you may need a roommate. I agree, you at least need to live by the beach for a little while.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 PM

916 posts, read 3,517,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs21 View Post
Hi everyone,

Investigate Belmont Shore.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:59 PM

17 posts, read 21,193 times
My job's in Irvine. I'm also a recent December college grad. I'll be moving to California officially next month from NC. Luckily I have some family in the area that I'll be rooming with for a few weeks until I find the housing I like. I see this California thing as a 2 year stint for me unless the job/housing opportunities open up. Coming from NC, these costs are insane!

It's weird, I never thought I'd consider trying to find a place near the beach, but I figure if I'm so close to the beach, I may as well try that lifestyle while I'm young. It's difficult to find anything beach front related in the entry level price point.

I'm not even a good swimmer, but something about sitting on the balcony or porch and watching/smelling the ocean and the like sounds very appealing.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard weather's better closer to the beach as it does not get too hot...is that true? I've heard that utility costs are high so maybe the high electricity costs (AC) of living more inland could possibly offset the costs/lifestyle of the coastal areas?

Where do you guys recommend searching for places on boats?
I've been padmapping / craigslisting.

mjs21, have you found any housing you like?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 PM

298 posts, read 575,129 times
nobodyknowsme: I spend summers in NC, Charlotte area, so I can compare the costs that I have observed. Gas and rent will be higher in CA. Utilities are about the same or lower in CA because you will not be using your air or heat as much as you would in NC. Food is less expensive in CA. I tend to drive further in NC so spend about the same on gas. I guess it depends on your situation. You will love CA. Welcome.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:32 AM

29,927 posts, read 73,215,261 times
THere is nothing like coming home from work and going for a walk ont he beach to unwind. Your apartment can become the anchor for you and your firends beach weekends. MMany places you can walk to neat places to eat and drink. There are also loads of interesting characters who live in the beach communiities. It is just a fun place to live.

When you get older it becomes impractical, in part because you need or desire nicr quarters than what is affordable at the beach and because the beach areas are just too rowdy. If there is any way you can pull it off, do it now. It is probably your only chance.

If you are working in Irvine, I suggest Balboa Villiage (part of newport). It is fun, close to irvine and pretty much all rentals. Lots of youger people too. UCI students live there as well (in large groups 3-4 to a bedroom at times).

Old 02-16-2012, 12:04 PM

2,916 posts, read 5,459,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme View Post
My job's in Irvine. I'm also a recent December college grad. I'll be moving to California officially next month from NC. Luckily I have some family in the area that I'll be rooming with for a few weeks until I find the housing I like. I see this California thing as a 2 year stint for me unless the job/housing opportunities open up. Coming from NC, these costs are insane!

It's weird, I never thought I'd consider trying to find a place near the beach, but I figure if I'm so close to the beach, I may as well try that lifestyle while I'm young. It's difficult to find anything beach front related in the entry level price point.

I'm not even a good swimmer, but something about sitting on the balcony or porch and watching/smelling the ocean and the like sounds very appealing.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard weather's better closer to the beach as it does not get too hot...is that true? I've heard that utility costs are high so maybe the high electricity costs (AC) of living more inland could possibly offset the costs/lifestyle of the coastal areas?

Where do you guys recommend searching for places on boats?
I've been padmapping / craigslisting.

mjs21, have you found any housing you like?
What was your job search like? Im finding it hard being from out of state?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:06 PM

17 posts, read 21,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
nobodyknowsme: I spend summers in NC, Charlotte area, so I can compare the costs that I have observed. Gas and rent will be higher in CA. Utilities are about the same or lower in CA because you will not be using your air or heat as much as you would in NC. Food is less expensive in CA. I tend to drive further in NC so spend about the same on gas. I guess it depends on your situation. You will love CA. Welcome.
I'm surprised to hear that food is cheaper! Do you mean groceries? What would be the ideal local places to shop? I'm used to the Kroger, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, etc. It'll take some to figure out which shops are better for which types of groceries of course.
Can I assume that restaurants in Orange County will probably be expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
THere is nothing like coming home from work and going for a walk ont he beach to unwind. Your apartment can become the anchor for you and your firends beach weekends. MMany places you can walk to neat places to eat and drink. There are also loads of interesting characters who live in the beach communiities. It is just a fun place to live.

When you get older it becomes impractical, in part because you need or desire nicr quarters than what is affordable at the beach and because the beach areas are just too rowdy. If there is any way you can pull it off, do it now. It is probably your only chance.

If you are working in Irvine, I suggest Balboa Villiage (part of newport). It is fun, close to irvine and pretty much all rentals. Lots of youger people too. UCI students live there as well (in large groups 3-4 to a bedroom at times).
I have been looking at the Balboa island/peninsula. It seems very appealing..but very expensive. Just a random question: Do you know of any areas that smell like fish/sea food? I'm not a big fan of such smells and I know it's very common to find those kinds of smells near fish markets close to the ocean/bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
What was your job search like? Im finding it hard being from out of state?
I ended up with this location from a campus career fair. I interviewed on campus with the company and then went for the on-site interviews at the company's HQ in the North East...a few weeks later I got an offer for a California location as I indicated that I was open to relocation nationally/internationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>