Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 PM

653 posts, read 945,662 times

Advertisements

movestoomuch, the other posters made a great point about, in addition to registering your cars in CA, having your cars pass the CA emissions test.

I know I, for one, don't want to drive a car 2,000 miles just to get there and have it not pass emissions. I'd much rather sell the car, fly, and then buy the same car again when I get there, rather than drive cross country then have it not pass.

With that said, in an effort to try to figure out if my car would pass CA emissions before lugging my car all the way from MD to CA, I called Acura today to give them my VIN and find out if I had a CA Emissions car (my BMW was, even though I bought it on the east coast, so, with any luck, my Acura may be as well). Just as I thought, after being transferred three times, Acura was no help at all. They were kind, but not knowledgeable.

However, people on this thread recommend checking under the hood and that's a smart idea (I didn't check mine this AM because it's raining, though).

So, in the meantime, I Googled it again (with hopes of finding a database where you plug in your VIN and it tells you if it's a CA or Fed Emissions car). I didn't find that, but I did find this. Hope it helps!

This shows you what the sticker under the car's hood will look like:
Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California FFVR 29

The first reply on this Q&A was also helpful (do note the date it was posted, though):
Google Answers: Importing a car into California with Northeast emissions

(As for the occasional salty person on C-D - that mainly seem to lurk in the city boards - just block them and move on. I'm hardly in the city boards any more. The dog board is much happier, as am I.

As for leasing vs. buying, I can attest that not all people who lease are bad with money. I have relatives that own several business -one of them being an accounting firm, so, as a CPA, the wife is good with money-, have multiple houses that have guest houses, have well over a dozen luxury, limited edition, or one-of-a-kind cars, and their day-to-day cars that they drive, not the collectibles, are leased because it is a better financial decision for them since they change their day-to-day car so frequently.)

Last edited by dclamb3; 02-24-2012 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-24-2012, 03:43 PM

124 posts, read 334,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
movestoomuch, the other posters made a great point about, in addition to registering your cars in CA, having your cars pass the CA emissions test.

I know I, for one, don't want to drive a car 2,000 miles just to get there and have it not pass emissions. I'd much rather sell the car, fly, and then buy the same car again when I get there, rather than drive cross country then have it not pass.

With that said, in an effort to try to figure out if my car would pass CA emissions before lugging my car all the way from MD to CA, I called Acura today to give them my VIN and find out if I had a CA Emissions car (my BMW was, even though I bought it on the east coast, so, with any luck, my Acura may be as well). Just as I thought, after being transferred three times, Acura was no help at all. They were kind, but not knowledgeable.

However, people on this thread recommend checking under the hood and that's a smart idea (I didn't check mine this AM because it's raining, though).

So, in the meantime, I Googled it again (with hopes of finding a database where you plug in your VIN and it tells you if it's a CA or Fed Emissions car). I didn't find that, but I did find this. Hope it helps!

This shows you what the sticker under the car's hood will look like:
Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California FFVR 29

The first reply on this Q&A was also helpful (do note the date it was posted, though):
Google Answers: Importing a car into California with Northeast emissions

(As for the occasional salty person on C-D - that mainly seem to lurk in the city boards - just block them and move on. I'm hardly in the city boards any more. The dog board is much happier, as am I.

As for leasing vs. buying, I can attest that not all people who lease are bad with money. I have relatives that own several business -one of them being an accounting firm, so, as a CPA, the wife is good with money-, have multiple houses that have guest houses, have well over a dozen luxury, limited edition, or one-of-a-kind cars, and their day-to-day cars that they drive, not the collectibles, are leased because it is a better financial decision for them since they change their day-to-day car so frequently.)
It does help, I checked and we're good to go. Tell NurseRosie no hard feelings, I was just messing with her.
Thanks for the support, I too am pretty darn great with money. I have never had anyone tell me leasing a car means I'm terrible with money. But hey, NurseRosie doesn't know me, so it's all good. I'm lucky that I don't have to drive the vehicles cross country, the company will transport them thankfully. That said, a roadtrip sounds like a lot of fun!

As far as the registration goes - it is what it is. No big, just hate to be nickled and dimed to death! But it's sunny in California!!!

Old 02-24-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movestoomuch View Post
It does help, I checked and we're good to go. Tell NurseRosie no hard feelings, I was just messing with her.
Thanks for the support, I too am pretty darn great with money. I have never had anyone tell me leasing a car means I'm terrible with money. But hey, NurseRosie doesn't know me, so it's all good. I'm lucky that I don't have to drive the vehicles cross country, the company will transport them thankfully. That said, a roadtrip sounds like a lot of fun!

As far as the registration goes - it is what it is. No big, just hate to be nickled and dimed to death! But it's sunny in California!!!
Oh good. I'm good to go, too! My label says "CA Emissions" on it!

Yeah, that's def. the best way to go. The last time I moved to CA, my ex-hb's co. shipped our cars and belongings for us, and hooked us up with a place to live until we found a home. That was nice.

This time I was debating between selling in MD, flying, then rebuying a car in CA, or making a fun road trip out of it (with or without girlfriends). Though I get antsy in the car around the 4-hour mark, my girlfriends finally talked me into a road trip. If everyone makes it as planned, it will be three girls, a pre-teen son, and three dogs. It should be interesting, to say the least. If we can't sync schedules and everyone doesn't make it, it will be me and two dogs, and that sounds fun too (I'm already imagining all the puppy photo opps I'll have along the way ).

Have a safe trip!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:50 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,229 times
Quote:

Sorry. When u might a veryy insulting comment re my beloved state. I don't find that as anything other than extremely rude. To me. And to ca laws. Again. Don't like it. Please don't move here

I stand by the difference between having rhe cash t pay cash vs leasing. Not related to businesses of course. Having 3 leased cars indicates. At least to me. That u do Not have the liquid assets we do. We also own 3 residences. All paid for. And this is in the evil state of ca.

Don't want insults. Don't dole them out. And then attempt to call it 'messing it'. We already know Saturn too many folks who lease cars. And have no liquid cash.

As for the periods. Sorry. Still learning how to use this iPad. Paid cash for it too

Old 02-25-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
Sorry. When u might a veryy insulting comment re my beloved state. I don't find that as anything other than extremely rude. To me. And to ca laws. Again. Don't like it. Please don't move here

I stand by the difference between having rhe cash t pay cash vs leasing. Not related to businesses of course. Having 3 leased cars indicates. At least to me. That u do Not have the liquid assets we do. We also own 3 residences. All paid for. And this is in the evil state of ca.

Don't want insults. Don't dole them out. And then attempt to call it 'messing it'. We already know Saturn too many folks who lease cars. And have no liquid cash.

As for the periods. Sorry. Still learning how to use this iPad. Paid cash for it too
Moderator cut: Personal Attack Look NurseRosie, you're a good kid. We do think alike when it comes to paying cash.

Yes I have a leased vehicle, but that doesn't mean I don't have enough cash to pay for it. I buy my houses and condos with cash. I buy almost everything else with cash. Cash is KING as far as I'm concerned.

I consider myself lucky to be able to pay cash. Even though I don't quite understand half of what you are talking about, I do hear you when you say paying with cash is wise. (Or am I just reading too much into your comment???)
Unless you are one of those people who can't get credit and you HAVE to pay cash - that's a whole different story -- but let's not go there. That's a topic for another board.

Enjoy your day NurseRosie! Go save some people!!!

Last edited by bhcompy; 02-25-2012 at 10:59 AM..

Old 02-25-2012, 12:15 PM

Another insult. I a m far from being a kid. In fact am considerably older than you. Not only do you toss around profoundingly insulting comments in most posts. Your attempts to cover them up with humor are pathetic. And youth story keeps changing. As does your living locations. Yep. Read all your posts stll shaking my head at your arrogance and know it all attitude. Then I found that you are from NYC. Ahhh explains it all.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
Another insult. I a m far from being a kid. In fact am considerably older than you. Not only do you toss around profoundingly insulting comments in most posts. Your attempts to cover them up with humor are pathetic. And youth story keeps changing. As does your living locations. Yep. Read all your posts stll shaking my head at your arrogance and know it all attitude. Then I found that you are from NYC. Ahhh explains it all.
Nice personal attack

Old 02-25-2012, 02:50 PM

I'm not sure that this thread is on topic any more, but who am I to say? If the OP is discussing fiances now, it's all good, right? (So, no one yelling at me for being off topic -- you know who you are.)

In any case, since we're talking about finances now, paying cash isn't always wise. You establish no credit doing so. The smartest thing to do to keep your FICO score up is to charge then pay the balance in full every month. That is what I do and my FICO score is 820, and that's only after I took a hit for closing an account I no longer wanted or it would be even higher.

But yes, to those 1% who might say, "but I pay for all my houses, cars, children's student loans, medical emergencies, etc with cash and will never for the rest of my life ever need a line of credit or loan because I have a crystal ball and can see into the future" then by all means, pay for everything with cash since you have no need for a FICO score in the first place.

For me, I CAN pay cash for everything I purchase, but I charge it and pay off the balance every month just to keep my FICO up just in case I ever do need it, I have established fabulous credit (I'm also racking in rewards -- free flight? why, thank you. I think I might ). I had the cash to pay for my car but took a revolving loan just to boost my FICO, then paid off the loan shortly thereafter. I paid about $70 in interest (since my interest rate was so low because my FICO is so high), but it was worth it to get the bump in my FICO score (which is over 820 again now ).

On the other hand, I have a friend in her 30s that can't get a loan (to begin establishing credit) for the very reason that she's paid cash for everything her entire life, so she has established no credit, and therefore, her FICO is in the 300s. I told her to start with a gas card (which is ridiculous since she's clearly good with money). It's a backwards system, but it is what it is. I just know how to play the game.

Last edited by dclamb3; 02-25-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 04:17 PM

Our fico score is about as high as it can get. So. No need not to pay cash for cars. Etc.....we do have credit cards. Always paid in full each month

And always have been. We have no debt. No mortages. And considerable assets.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Nice personal attack
U asked for it. Again. Call me a kid. Etc. This started with you whining about having to arrive in ca with your leased cars. Of course u cannot sell them. As u don't own them do u?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County