U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 AM

6 posts, read 8,271 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to southern OC from NJ due to our jobs. We are in our late 50's but do not want a townhouse or condo. We noticed a lot of developments in Laguna Niguel or Aliso Niejo but we're worried we're empty nesters now and maybe too old for these family neighborhoods. What's better, Dana Point, Laguna Niguel, or any other nearby suggestions? Thanks so much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 08:27 AM

26,342 posts, read 89,699,624 times
Laguna Woods?

Demographically, some of the older neighborhoods in Mission Viejo might work as those houses were built as early as the mid 1960s. Statistically, a lot of people buy homes in their late 20s/early 30s to raise a family. That's how old you were about 30 years ago. Look for homes built in the early 1980s. Probably lots of empty nesters in those neighborhoods. Same with Aliso City (later called El Toro, now called Lake Forest).

Where are your jobs and your expected commuting schedule? Dana Point is that much more distant from jobs in Irvine for example.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:54 AM

Default Moving to Southern OC from NJ

We will be working in San Clemente and Mission Viejo. The thought of a newer home not needing work is attractive but I'm afraid as empty nesters we will be out of place in these family neighborhoods in planned communities like Laguna Niguel or Mission Viejo. Am I wrong? Thanks again!

Old 02-25-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowers44 View Post
We will be working in San Clemente and Mission Viejo. The thought of a newer home not needing work is attractive but I'm afraid as empty nesters we will be out of place in these family neighborhoods in planned communities like Laguna Niguel or Mission Viejo. Am I wrong? Thanks again!
You two are lucky to have such easy drives. (I work in El Segundo....).

Other than what I wrote above, I think it will be hit and miss and you might simply need to drive around. Realtors might help a little on this. You could also do some Google Maps street view drive bys and see if you can get a feel for the neighborhoods - types of cars, lots of basketball hoops in the street, campers, etc, types of business and services in the mini malls.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:08 PM

5,381 posts, read 7,937,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowers44 View Post
We are relocating to southern OC from NJ due to our jobs. We are in our late 50's but do not want a townhouse or condo. We noticed a lot of developments in Laguna Niguel or Aliso Niejo but we're worried we're empty nesters now and maybe too old for these family neighborhoods...
I have been lurking, but thought I would chime in. It’s true that Aliso Viejo is “family friendly” and tends to attract a large number of young married couples and young singles, but the median age is 35 and about a third of the population is 45 years of age or older. So, your age would not be a barrier if you wanted to move here for newer housing.
Casual observation also suggests that more and more empty nesters are moving into the city; perhaps, partly due to the fact that Aliso is very compact (7.5 square miles in area) and very easily negotiated by car. It’s also very densely populated(with about 23 parks scattered throughout the city).
BTW, Aliso Viejo is a work in progress, and there are plans to make the city more “walkable” and to develop “complete streets:”

alisoviejo.patch.com/articles/adding-safety-to-your-step-city-to-create-complete-streets

completestreets.org

Old 02-25-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I have been lurking, but thought I would chime in. It’s true that Aliso Viejo is “family friendly” and tends to attract a large number of young married couples and young singles, but the median age is 35 and about a third of the population is 45 years of age or older.
Thirty five is the new 25 as far as having kids and families - especially in high cost areas. I'm sure a lot of those 35-45 year olds have lots of little kids. I am not too atypical - I'm 50 and I have a four year old.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:56 PM

5,381 posts, read 7,937,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
...I'm sure a lot of those 35-45 year olds have lots of little kids. I am not too atypical - I'm 50 and I have a four year old.
True, I see lots of older individuals with young children. Still, in 2000, only about 20 percent of Aliso’s population was aged 45 or older, as compared to about 30 percent today, so the city is “maturing," or becoming more balanced.
Even if some of these older individuals have children, they are not far from the OP’s age range. There is no reason for the OP to feel that he/she would be some sort of dinosaur in Aliso.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:51 PM

77 posts, read 144,275 times
We will be a few years behind you with a very similar situation...Monmouth County NJ to South OC, empty nest. Our friends have lived in Laguna Niguel for over 20 years, and are 'aging in place.' Their kids are out, but so are most of the other families in their neighborhood...leaving a good number of 50+ empty nesters who do not plan on leaving. It's a great place for pre-retirees. I think you'll find that to be the case in more than a few neighborhoods in the area.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 PM

Default relocating

Thanksto everyone for the input. From what I have seen on Zillow I think I like Dana Point, closer to the beach. But I would like a newer home as I really don't want to remodel any more houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County