Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 02:51 AM

590 posts, read 1,249,299 times

Advertisements

I live 14 miles inland. Do use a/c maybe 5 hours a day. Always off by 8 pm. One story home on hill. We get lovely breezes.

Actually I would call it very hot for maybe 20-25 days. A year

Not bad at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 09:07 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
The average high & low temperatures for Irvine's warmest month (August) are 85 & 64, which is far from 'insanely hot' any way you slice it.

Irvine's highest temperature ever recorded was 110 degrees in 1963.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:31 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
'63 was one of the years my school in Capistrano was closed due to heat.

Not meaning it was closed for a year, of course.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The average high & low temperatures for Irvine's warmest month (August) are 85 & 64, which is far from 'insanely hot' any way you slice it.

Irvine's highest temperature ever recorded was 110 degrees in 1963.
Averages don't mean much when you're in the middle of a 100 degree week with humid, breeze-less 75 degree nights.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:57 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
Sounds like Texas weather to me!!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
That’s pretty similar to what happens in Aliso Viejo, even though I have read unsubstantiated comments on C-D about how extremely hot it is here. I have also read that it rains constantly in AV.

The August high in AV is 80 and the corresponding low is 60:
Average Weather for Aliso Viejo, CA - Temperature and Precipitation The temps in AV are occasionally high, but they closely parallel those of neighboring Laguna Beach (August high is 80: August low is 60):Average Weather for Laguna Beach, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

I don’t like the infrequent really hot days, but I rarely have any need to use my A/C unit. The ceiling fans in the upstairs bedrooms and the one over the stairway usually help to cool things down when the temp starts to become a little bit uncomfortable. Otherwise, I simply flip on the A/C; no big deal.

In fact, I’m fond of this weather. I moved here from Manhattan where summers are sweltering and it’s easy to sweat like a pig. What's more, prewar buildings there (my favorite) do not have central A/C, so you have to rely upon old-fashioned window units.

Last edited by pacific2; 04-08-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-08-2012, 10:42 AM

590 posts, read 1,249,299 times
Thanks you guys for your support. This hong kong guy spreading so many untruths about oc weather is making me wish he would return to hong kong

Another factoid. My sister lives in laguna niguel. 20 Yeats now. They have used their a/c a hadndful of times. They complain more that it is overcast and chilly often til 2 pm.

Now in our desert abodes we know about heat. Tho we have friends that live there year round. And survive.

We tend to not go out for maybe June 15 to mid sept. Our newer home is in la Quinta. One story. 2200 square foot. The overhead fans everywhere and new construction with double pane windows and excellent insulation make it so much easier to cool down and keep cool. If I were to live there in summer months. Yeah it would be "insanely hot". Maybe 45 days. But then it is ca desert and expected

Again. We have lived in irvine 10 years and now north Tustin for 27 years. It is lovely. Witk judicious use of water to sprinkle. And having the correct plantings. Our hood is always colorful. Green and lovely

The lack of humidity. All the days osf sunshine. No Mosquitos. Etc. Makes oc weather about as perfect as possible

We have family in mn and ny. We. Plan visits around their .. To us. ...very unpleasant weather,,,includes snowy. And bitter cold for many months. Humidiy that makes me dizzy and keeps us indoors. And Mosquitos that are like dive bombers

Yes they have 4 seasons. 3.5 of those are not to our liking. And yes we boyhood were raised in these areas. We would never leave ca. Ever

To each his home. But please present truthful. Easily documented weather stats ....insanely hot. And 115 in irvine ? Give me a break

Funny. But I have never never heard of anyone who would say they love hong kong stats of 96 degrees and 96per cent humidity ad pleasant ir desirable

Old 04-08-2012, 11:49 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post

Another factoid. My sister lives in laguna niguel. 20 Yeats now. They have used their a/c a hadndful of times. They complain more that it is overcast and chilly often til 2 pm.
We also get the “marine layer” in Aliso Viejo, so it’s not uncommon for the skies to be gray (add dewy grass) until about 10 AM to maybe 12 PM; but it really varies because some days start off sunny and stay that way.

Still, anyone who has traveled, or lived elsewhere, knows that much of OC weather is wonderful; perfect weather just doesn't exist.

Last edited by pacific2; 04-08-2012 at 12:10 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 07:34 PM

180 posts, read 327,801 times
It must be a personal thing because I think that humidity scientifically makes the heat worse. It's called the heat index. The more humidity there is the more you retain heat.

someone check me on this.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy1685 View Post
It must be a personal thing because I think that humidity scientifically makes the heat worse. It's called the heat index. The more humidity there is the more you retain heat.

someone check me on this.
Yep. It makes it harder for your body to cool itself which raises "feels like" temp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County