Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 03:47 AM

4 posts, read 4,386 times

Advertisements

OK...I am a single mother from the East coast, currently living outside of Guadalajara, Mexico. I have two daughters. I visited the area recently and am considering trying it out for a year.

I need a safe area...that said, I feel like I am safe here in Mexico...as long as bullets aren't firing too close to the house and my daughters will not be abducted or hurt, I'm good. We have shootouts and such, but they aren't directed at random people, so I guess I've gotten used to it.

I need a single story house because we have dogs and I have a bad leg. They bark when someone comes to the door or other dogs are barking and I don't want to be right up on someone who is going to be disturbed by that.

My daughter really enjoys the lifestyle here and wants to be in a Hispanic neighborhood...is that a good idea? I've heard both sides (bad crime and no crime) and am asking for your honest opinions for a somewhat sheltered white girl...haha.

Basically, I want to play tourist for 6 months or so while deciding what to do on a more permanent basis. Fortunately, I am in a position where this is possible without having to immediately search for employment and am trying to stay around $2500 a month for rent, but don't know what to allow for utilities, but am hoping to stay under $3000...is this realistic?

What I am looking for is the good, the bad, and the ugly. I would appreciate suggestions for areas and overall opinions on my plan/idea. I am a 30 something psychologist, if it matters.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieSunshine View Post
I have two daughters.
single story house
wants to be in a Hispanic neighborhood...is that a good idea?
honest opinions for a somewhat sheltered white girl...haha.

Basically, I want to play tourist for 6 months or so while deciding what to do on a more permanent basis. Fortunately, I am in a position where this is possible without having to immediately search for employment and am trying to stay around $2500 a month for rent, but don't know what to allow for utilities, but am hoping to stay under $3000...is this realistic?

What I am looking for is the good, the bad, and the ugly. I would appreciate suggestions for areas and overall opinions on my plan/idea. I am a 30 something psychologist, if it matters.

Thanks in advance!
Since you have two daughters, I would recommend living in an area with good schools (and I'd recommend that even if you had no daughters).
There is no shortage of Hispanic culture in Southern California though some places may have less of it.

School Performance Maps is a good start.

My gut feeling is your budget is OK.

Did you mean you want to rent for six months then buy? Or, something else? What did you mean by six months? Then what? It is important to know since you would probably want to not change schools again.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieSunshine View Post
OK...I am a single mother from the East coast, currently living outside of Guadalajara, Mexico. I have two daughters. I visited the area recently and am considering trying it out for a year.

I need a safe area...that said, I feel like I am safe here in Mexico...as long as bullets aren't firing too close to the house and my daughters will not be abducted or hurt, I'm good. We have shootouts and such, but they aren't directed at random people, so I guess I've gotten used to it.

I need a single story house because we have dogs and I have a bad leg. They bark when someone comes to the door or other dogs are barking and I don't want to be right up on someone who is going to be disturbed by that.

My daughter really enjoys the lifestyle here and wants to be in a Hispanic neighborhood...is that a good idea? I've heard both sides (bad crime and no crime) and am asking for your honest opinions for a somewhat sheltered white girl...haha.

Thanks in advance!
Hispanic-majority neighborhoods are everywhere in Southern California so you should have no trouble finding them. Some of the nicer ones are La Mirada, Whittier, and Norwalk (in LA County near OC).

Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 PM

4 posts, read 4,386 times
Thanks.

By 6 months, I mean that I want to give it at least six months and then either stay and buy or decide that it isn't for us. May do a year, but at least 6 months before I make any big changes. I'm not overly concerned about schools during this period because I have been homeschooling anyway and will likely continue until the beginning of the next school year.

I will look at those areas. I have been told to stay away from the Hispanic neighborhoods there, but when I visited, I didn't see anything alarming so I was wondering if I just missed something or if it was okay.

I had someone recommend Palmdale...is that hotter since it is a bit out? I want the consistent weather in the 70's.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Look at the better neighborhoods in Santa Ana. That will be the least expensive. If you stick to the fundamental schools, they are pretty decent. I only know a few of the fundamental schools John Muir elementary, Villa Middle School, Macarthur (Cannot remember whether that is middle or high). Segerstorom high is not bad. Even though some fundamlental schools do not have great overall test scroes, their top half is as good as most other school's top halfs. Just make certaint hat your kids are in the top half.

Orange and Fullerton are also both significantly hispanic and have OK schools.

In South County the neighborhoods are pristine and really safe, The schools a quite good, but they run creaming into the night with their arms waving wildlyin terror if they see a hispanic person (unless they can be assured that person has an income over $200,000)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County