U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 6,757 times

Advertisements

hi, I looking into OC schools, I have checked few of them starting with Irvine, Tustin, Laguna hills, Aliso Viejo and more.

we are relocating from east coast, Massachusetts, where the schools consider very good. I understand that the school in OC are good as well but it looks like a class size of 30 kids is very common (here if you have more than 22kids its consider large class...)

so my question is:
1. did I got it right? is there one teacher on 30 kids?
2. anyone have any experience with special education? kids with ADHD?

Thank you
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:11 PM

5,113 posts, read 18,879,664 times
Unless things have changed k-3 or k-4 it's 20 kids per class limit, then it goes up from there. My son's 5th grade class was 35 kids, but the 5th grade teachers shared tasks and got him the attention he needed. This was a highly rated elementary, btw

Old 03-09-2012, 10:04 AM

6,664 posts, read 29,307,210 times
Special ed get their own little classroom with 8 to 10 with a teacher and aid.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:29 AM

30,253 posts, read 74,332,513 times
Pretty much all kids in California are diagnosed ADD or ADHD. It is the trendy thing to have. Get that boy some drugs and zombie him up.

Honestly I do not think that we met anyone whose kids were not diagnosed with ADD/ADHD except ours since we never asked for a diagnosis. I think is it something that parents use to get their kids special attention. It is almost worn like a badge of honor. Or maybe it is just something that pretty much all kids have always had and we forgot to notice. The prevelance of these diagnosis have made me very skeptical about the whole thing.

Class sizes in upper grades are pretty large, but they often have aids. If you want small classes, spring for private schools. My son had 4 in his fourth grade class and his sister had 8 in fifth, so they combined the classes but still had two teachers most of the time.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 6,757 times
Or maybe it is just something that pretty much all kids have always had and we forgot to notice. The prevelance of these diagnosis have made me very skeptical about the whole thing.

i agree with the last statement but still a small class size will help my son...

Old 03-19-2012, 12:46 PM

16 posts, read 26,427 times
I have lived in Laguna Hills my entire life. I have been in these schools as a student and I have been there as a parent of 2 students. The schools here in the Saddleback Valley Unified School Dist. range from one that I have pulled my kids out of to ones that I would do whatever it takes to get my kids into. Honestly the ADD ADHD comment was spot on. In this part of the OC the schools do not have the resources to deal with kids (mostly boys) that have an abundance of energy and would rather drug em than manage or teach behavior/ social skills.
The district lines are old and you can live in an area where kids are assigned to go to one school across town even though there is one within walking distance to the house.
As far as special ed goes, as long as you are not requesting any specific testing or accommodations for your child you might be ok. It took me over 3 years to get my son tested for a learning disability with the school, and by the time that they got to it, the accommodation was essentially ineffective.
I would find out what school you are zoned for according to where you live, and go from there. changing schools is not something that the district makes very easy.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 11,994 times
Having two now middle school age kids in north orange county, I can say that their k-2 classes were limited to 20. Starting in 3rd the classes just got bigger each year, averaging about 35 kids by 5th grade. With such big classes kids who were disruptive were labeled troublemakers, but in a parent conference I was told my quiet shy girls needed to learn to be more aggressive. We are in a school district with lots of parent support so kids in the elementary school were broken into small groups by level and worked with an assistant or parent volunteer, this really helped those who were struggling academically.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:19 PM

229 posts, read 542,280 times
when my daughter was in K last year her school was in Laguna Niguel. We have since moved to Virginia, but the schools in CA are NOT good. CA is on the bottom of the list. My daughters class had around 35 kids for only 1 teacher. The way they did it was am/pm classes. The AM class started early around 7:40am. At 9:15, the teacher had to LEAVE the class and come outside and get my daughters class (PM class). Then for 1 hour ALL the kids were in at the same time. Then at 10:15, the AM kids were done and the parents all came into the classroom to get their kids which disrupted my daughters part of the class. Then it was time for me to pick her up at 12:15. So, this teacher was older (60's) and could not handle ALL those kids and interuptions. One girl was bulliying my daughter and she had to be sent to the principals office DAILY. There was no aide either to help her. We ended up moving during the christmas break thank goodness! I heard from my friends that the teacher quit because she couldn't handle it. My daughter did not learn anything that first half of the school year. Once we moved to VA, her new K class had 3 teacher for only 22 kids. It was quiet, calm and organized. She is now at the top of her class in 1st grade.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:48 AM

77,804 posts, read 97,834,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdadx3 View Post
hi, I looking into OC schools, I have checked few of them starting with Irvine, Tustin, Laguna hills, Aliso Viejo and more.

we are relocating from east coast, Massachusetts, where the schools consider very good. I understand that the school in OC are good as well but it looks like a class size of 30 kids is very common (here if you have more than 22kids its consider large class...)

so my question is:
1. did I got it right? is there one teacher on 30 kids?
2. anyone have any experience with special education? kids with ADHD?

Thank you
special Ed classes will be considerably smaller than the regular class rooms. I believe it is about 10 or so per class.
Nita

Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 PM

61 posts, read 286,434 times
My son's first grade class has 25 students. I believe that is a normal school size. We are in a great school that we love in Lake Forest which is in Saddleback school district. I do not have any experience with special ed or ADHD. Good luck getting things figured out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County