Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,536,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by themingo View Post
my girlfriend and i are planning a move to orange in late summer or early fall. we haven't chosen an area yet, partly because we're worried about the lower minimum wage there than in san francisco (where we currently live), and our ability to pay rent.

i'm planning on looking for a serving or bartending job once we get a little closer to the move, and i'm wondering if anybody knows any good, busy spots i might apply to. i've made more money serving than i have doing any other job, and i feel like getting a job at a place that gets busy, is in a decent enough area that tips are good, and is close enough to a $1000-ish/month apartment to bike to and from would significantly help us.

anybody have any ideas of where to look?

thanks,
isaac
We get the California minimum which is 8 dollars an hour, (I think I heard about SF having a higher one due to the cost of living there) plus our tips.

Just a note that some of the beach cities will indeed probably have nicer restaurants, and you may be able to bike to work, but the rents near the beach will be higher.
Also just to be aware, because of the economy, many restaurants are cutting hours, however, just look look look, because people still go on to collage, get their "real" job etc. (BTW, I happen to work in a restaurant where there's very little turnover. It IS the "real job" for most of the long time servers there! )
Make sure you let them know you'll be available for all shifts, and of course go in with clean nails, (you'd be surprise what straggles in looking for a serving position, cut off shorts, and all!) and bring your smile.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
People who cannot type perfectly or fail to spend half an hour proofing each post should not be allowed to post on CD. I certainly neer post anything with typos in it. Shameful!.

As you your question, there are a lot of places where you can make good money. I am told that you are better off in middle or upper middle class areas than in rich areas (Rich people supposedly do not tip well). Obviously, you are better off in places where copious quantities of alcohol are consumed and you are probably better off if you are female and smoking hot. However a nice looking guy would probably do well in Laguna.

There are tons of places. Busy young people places tend to be near the beaches. Family places inland. You should see if you cna find a study that determines what types of people ar eht best tippers (busienss lunches, tourists, regulars, young people, rich, poor, middle, etc). Then people on CD can direct you to the areas where this type of dining or driking is more common.

For a fun job, I owuld think that Bartender at Goat Hill Tavern in costs Mesa would be a blast.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:57 AM

590 posts, read 1,249,025 times
I had to lol at your comment regarding typos. Etc. In my defense I am recently using an iPad and am having a very slow learning curve compared to pc

I never use spellcheck since I use too many words that Are not mainline

Also can anyone tell me why the iPad inserts periods all the time?

Sorry.

Btw. Know nothing about serving jobs!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:04 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
Also can anyone tell me why the iPad inserts periods all the time?
Mine does it if I hit the space key twice.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:08 PM

8 posts, read 10,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
There is that personality that will bring in the big tips.
i generally hate people, but i can put on a happy face when i need to. like i said, i've never had a serving job that didn't bring me decent to good money!

Old 04-23-2012, 06:13 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,913,263 times
Servers can make great money if they are in the right location. There's a Sizzler close to me where the servers average $200 in tips per shift.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 PM

25 posts, read 96,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themingo View Post
i generally hate people, but i can put on a happy face when i need to. like i said, i've never had a serving job that didn't bring me decent to good money!
Most of us in the restaurant business usually hate people

Old 04-25-2012, 01:51 AM

240 posts, read 621,666 times
What TurcoLoco said: stick to the coastal cities he mentions because that's precisely where you'll find all of the criteria you mentioned coming together with greater probablility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County