Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 AM

26 posts, read 45,626 times

Advertisements

Just want to get everybody's opinion on something.

We just moved here from the midwest. I have lived in Chicago pretty much my whole life, as well as spending time in NYC.

My question is, why do the LA news stations always show these "chases" on TV? And it seems like they are constantly showing a chase!

I have NEVER seen a chase on TV in Chicago once in my lifetime! Im sure there are plenty of wackos doing the same thing there and in NYC.

Can someone please enlighten me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudo2002 View Post
Just want to get everybody's opinion on something.

We just moved here from the midwest. I have lived in Chicago pretty much my whole life, as well as spending time in NYC.

My question is, why do the LA news stations always show these "chases" on TV? And it seems like they are constantly showing a chase!

I have NEVER seen a chase on TV in Chicago once in my lifetime! Im sure there are plenty of wackos doing the same thing there and in NYC.

Can someone please enlighten me?
Because we like them.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:24 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
They wouldn't do it if their research showed nobody watches. The one last night had every damn station airing it for quite awhile. I think KTLA was the only station to stick with it to the bitter end. The others had network obligations.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:22 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
Because people out here do watch that kind of stuff, and ratings do go up abruptly.

Local newscasts out here are full of so much fluff it's downright ridiculous, but that's been the case for decades as well.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,857,850 times
When I moved here from CT, I was surprised too. Now one time we were watching part of it and noticed the chase is coming toward us. So we kept the TV on and it was cool watching the helicopters fly over us both from the window and the TV.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:12 PM

278 posts, read 546,477 times
Its funny because when i tell ppl i want to move to Cali all they say is "isnt that the state were all those tv shows take place like caught on camera and gangland and cops etc etc" mind you we live in Nyc.
Now that i think of it, its like New York is trying to keep us here because a lot of the documentaries like lock up, gangland and all those other caught on camera shows that are shown here are based in california. They barely show the other states unless its a tornado or a hurricane. I still hope to move to cali and join my son someday.
Here we hardly get speed chases Live. We get the news after.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:43 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,650 times
Car chases are a great way to relax at home when there's nothing on. It's a tradition here.

We get sick of local news reporters getting all excited about potential rain, or circling a small brush fire with their news choppers, so when a car chase comes on where nobody knows exactly what will happen, it's like watching a sporting event. What will happen? Who will hurt whom? Will they get away?

Far better than most programming on TV anyway. And yeah, it gets really exciting when the action goes from the TV to your own neighborhood and you can hear the sirens outside your window.

If I could propose to my wife all over again, I'd slap a huge MARRY ME sign on the roof of my car, fill up the gas tank, and head out for a low speed chase.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:10 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Since so many chases seem to hit at the dinner hour we replaced the black and white TV we had in the kitchen with a new color set years ago. Bob Tur (the first and the best of the helicopter reporters, IMHO) would be describing the red car and we couldn't keep track of the red car. We also got a larger screen.

And we play "Guess The Route" when they hit a freeway interchange.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
If I could propose to my wife all over again, I'd slap a huge MARRY ME sign on the roof of my car, fill up the gas tank, and head out for a low speed chase.
Totally So Cal!

Old 05-02-2012, 01:36 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,552 times
They show them a lot in Texas as well. Must be the abundance of sun baking brains, and it is entertaining to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County