Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:48 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times

Advertisements

The yahoo articles and other news (non-local) said that the mentally ill/homeless guy was looking in at the cars and that's why the police were called. This is the first I'm hearing that he was smashing the cars up... did he really smash up the cars? I wonder why this tidbit was left out in the national news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 PM

240 posts, read 621,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
The yahoo articles and other news (non-local) said that the mentally ill/homeless guy was looking in at the cars and that's why the police were called. This is the first I'm hearing that he was smashing the cars up... did he really smash up the cars? I wonder why this tidbit was left out in the national news.
Some idiot came-up with that comment during the course of this thread and other posters simply started repeating it as if it were true. It's not.

These are the facts;

"On the night of July 5, 2011, Fullerton Police Officer Manuel Ramos was responding to a call of a car break-in and found 37-year-old Kelly Thomas walking near the scene of the crime. He began questioning the homeless man and called for back-up."
Graphic Surveillance Video Of Kelly Thomas Beating Shown In Court « CBS Los Angeles

It was never proven that Kelly himself broke into any cars. The area around the Amtrack station is pretty dicey per se and there's always car burglaries in the parking lots of downtown Fullerton in general and the bus depot/train station areas in particular. Also there are many homeless people always present in the same area where Kelly 'lived'.

Regardless, even if guilty of breaking into a car it doesn't justify 6 guys gang-beating him to death.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidee View Post
Gain control of the situation and handcuff the suspect. A suspect resisting arrest does not justify excessive force. Keep the suspect on the ground, handcuffed, 'till he calms down. In this case they hit Kelly Thomas multiple times in the face, sat on him and tased him 5 times which resulted in a coma and later death. There were 5 police officers twice his size on the scene. If you learn nothing from this you're unfit to walk the streets and will end up in prison.

Some believe non-lethal weapons are actually non-lethal, some even with proper training. Non-lethal weapons should be used in self defense or as a necessity to prevent serious harm to a third party in extreme situations, not to make arresting suspects convenient and effortless. Stephen Coleman has an excellent talk on Ted about the moral dangers of non-lethal weapons.
its hard to cuff people when they hit u in the face. also cuffing people does not prevent them biting and kicking u (except on TV). u r incorrect non lethal weapons are not for handling extreme situations, shooting or stabbing me in the head is an extreme situation, and does not merit pepper spray--- it merits shooting the suspect.
too many law enforcement experts on here that hate cops, sounds like felon talk to me.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Police murder.

I agree. I watched a 14 minute video earlier today. The man was sitting on the sidewalk talking to himself. Was he actually committing a crime? Then he was beaten, tasered and crushed until he couldn't breathe. I then saw one officer hitting him with his flashlight. It's disgusting that these men are in uniform to "protect" us. He was crying "Daddy" as they continued to pummel him. It's difficult for me to believe they didn't realize he was mentally ill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I guess blaming the victim has become a popular defense. We've been hearing that a lot in Florida. I suppose when the victim can't defend himself, it's always easier to say what he did or didn't do before he died.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:38 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Those cops were judge, jury and executioner. And people defend them.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Those cops should be fired and thrown in prison with general population. Sick man, sick.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:24 AM

119 posts, read 150,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its hard to cuff people when they hit u in the face. also cuffing people does not prevent them biting and kicking u (except on TV). u r incorrect non lethal weapons are not for handling extreme situations, shooting or stabbing me in the head is an extreme situation, and does not merit pepper spray--- it merits shooting the suspect.
too many law enforcement experts on here that hate cops, sounds like felon talk to me.
You've obviously no experience in this matter. If used properly cuffing a suspect will sufficiently prevent biting and kicking. I'm not familiar with US laws on non-lethal weapons. Allthough tasing someone with a knife could be an effective alternative to lethal force.

Kelly Thomas was not biting, kicking or hitting anyone in the face. He was unarmed, non-compliant.

I'm not a law enforcement expert, but I do have actual experience in this matter with lethal weaponry and its rules of engagement. I have never used a taser or pepperspray, I have however felt the effects of CS gas (Tear gas) during military service. I don't hate cops.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:26 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
what are we supposed to have learned? that cops are evil? that when people go on car smashing rampages we are supposed to ignore them?
how would u have handled it? what if it was your car that was smashed? how would u handle it? or what if you were the cop and the angry citizen wants u to "do something" about his car. how would u handle it? lots of cop hate threads on CDF mostly posted by felons.
Well, I would have handled it by throwing the street crazy (who I outweigh by at least 40 pounds) to the grounds and start punching him repeatedly then I would also call for backup and five other people (who are also much larger than the street crazy) will all hit him with our fists, feet, nightsticks, and flashlights. We will ignore all pleas for mercy and ignore his vague statements as to his well being such as "I can't breathe!" Then we would all pile onto his back (roughly 1500 pounds) for several minutes. Then I would act shocked that somehow having almost three quarters of a ton on his back, mixed in the repeated blows to the head, and the fact that he was choking on his own blood inexplicably (there are some mysteries that will always remain so) caused him to lose consciousness. Then I would joke about him urinating and defecating himself (which kinda happens when the brain shuts down).

I would probably handle it something like that.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:04 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Even if the victim was smashing up cars it has nothing to do with the fact that police killed him. Smashing up cars does not warrant death.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:22 AM

59 posts, read 149,865 times
Wait...you folks meaning to tell me it took SIX officers to take down ONE man!?!? I still can't seem to get past that part. RIP Mr. Thomas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County