Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:59 AM

12 posts, read 55,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by letmework View Post
I just graduated from CSU Fullerton this month. I want to warn you that it is very tough out here in the SoCal area. A lot of the college kids are living with their parents and commuting to campus. When I was a student, I was working hard to get internships (paid or unpaid) and I would constantly get rejected. Over 300 applicants for one unpaid position. I also tried retail/fast food jobs in the local area. A lot places are doing "hiring fairs" where people just show up to do interviews. You would have to go through three rounds of interviews for a min. wage job. I thought that my previous years of experience at a dining hall would easily get me a job but it comes down to luck or who you know.

So here I am. No part time job, no internship experience, and no job offer. Despite a good GPA, I am pretty much screwed. Unless Concordia has a good co-op program for your major, I highly discourage moving to SoCal. It's not worth it.
thank you for the advice i've started to realize that and with no family or nobody i know out there i can just imagine how much harder it would be. Maybe once i finish school ill have a chance to move out there but thanks for the advice and good luck to you too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 01:17 PM

415 posts, read 615,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letmework View Post
I just graduated from CSU Fullerton this month. I want to warn you that it is very tough out here in the SoCal area. A lot of the college kids are living with their parents and commuting to campus. When I was a student, I was working hard to get internships (paid or unpaid) and I would constantly get rejected. Over 300 applicants for one unpaid position. I also tried retail/fast food jobs in the local area. A lot places are doing "hiring fairs" where people just show up to do interviews. You would have to go through three rounds of interviews for a min. wage job. I thought that my previous years of experience at a dining hall would easily get me a job but it comes down to luck or who you know.

So here I am. No part time job, no internship experience, and no job offer. Despite a good GPA, I am pretty much screwed. Unless Concordia has a good co-op program for your major, I highly discourage moving to SoCal. It's not worth it.
This. Though I will add that it is not easy anywhere right now to be young with no verifiable job skills. It is tough out there. I came here from Utah a year ago, and my brother and several of my friends there (and I'm older - as is my brother and as are most of my friends) are struggling - with and without degrees. I really wanted to move, so I researched the snot out of every place I was considering and looked for jobs and stated that I was willing to pay at my own expense. I did not move until I had a job that was full-time with benefits. And yes, that can be difficult. If you really want to come here, get a job first and then move. I know many who have done just that and I am one of them - and that is the only way I'd recommend moving to anywhere in this country right now - with a full-time job in hand.

Keep in mind also that California is very expensive compared to Texas. What I am paying for a room rental with private bath in North OC I can get my own place for in Henderson, a suburb of where I am from (Vegas) and an even nicer place in most parts of Texas.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:24 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
Remember out of state tuition. Will add to cost
I think you're considered to be a resident after a year. He could take that year off school and try to find a job.

Doesn't out of state tuition only apply to state run schools?

Old 06-09-2012, 03:54 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,299 times
Yes one hear and u are considered resident...think u have to work tho

Most private and all public colleges have out of state rates. Considerably higher than in state

Old 06-09-2012, 04:08 PM

415 posts, read 615,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
Yes one hear and u are considered resident...think u have to work tho

Most private and all public colleges have out of state rates. Considerably higher than in state
Yeah, you have to show proof that you are not just in California for college. Typically the schools want to see that you have worked, or paid income tax in California. You cannot derive most of your income from someone who is not a California resident either (e.g. parents). I just went through this with Fullerton College. It also helps if you have changed your car's registration to California, registered to vote in California, bank at a California bank and I can't remember what else.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:56 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,299 times
In other words. Paid into our state coffers...we need the money!

Old 06-10-2012, 12:13 AM

334 posts, read 915,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegestudent44 View Post
thank you for the advice i've started to realize that and with no family or nobody i know out there i can just imagine how much harder it would be. Maybe once i finish school ill have a chance to move out there but thanks for the advice and good luck to you too!
There's a Concordia in Austin, which is a LOT more fun for a young person than OC can ever hope to be. Seriously, you're planning to beggar yourself in order to live somewhere that's pretty much Sugarland (if you're from Houston) or Plano (if from DFW) with milder weather. Think longer term, and think larger.

And Cal State is like Texas A&M, but not nearly as well funded. I don't mean to slam OC or Southern California, but it's really more a place to come after you've finished school and have a few years of professional experience under your belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County