Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:06 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,517 times

Advertisements

How does Orange County FL compare to Orange County CA? When you're done with the theme parks in FL, is there much else to do or see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:15 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
They cannot be compared. You are mixing up apples and oranges.

Plus I see no mention of what each costs. And btw. If one goes to disneyland adding on Disney adventure should be considered in the equation

Personall I cannot even put universal and Disney in the same sentence

Sorry

Many have tried pointing out this to you and it seems you continually say we are no help
nurse, you're post has lost me completely. of course they can be compared...in endless ways....which one would you rather go to, which one has more to do, which one has the better thrill rides.

you say, "Sorry

Many have tried pointing out this to you and it seems you continually say we are no help" and my head scratches. what does it prove? If some folks think that you can't compare the two or aren't interested in the thread, that's cool. I have no problem with that.

but if someone is interested in answering it, that's fine, too. If I'm not interested in a thread, I don't enter it or I quickly get out. I don't tell people what they are discussing is not interesting.

Any response I made to other forumers here was that they were missing my point....I wasn't interested in comparing Anaheim with Orlando. I was specifically looking at two resort complexes that have the same composition (2 theme parks each, a retail/entertainment/dining complex between them, 3 or 4 hotels) and wondering which one would be considered better.

If nobody answers, that's fine, too. But I still don't get why you want to end conversations by fiat or why there is some automatic "apples and oranges" being compared here. Seems to me I'm taking about 2 places that are pretty much the same category.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:29 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,299 times
Ok. Let's try this. Universal is mostly about making movies. Taking u on tram rides to visit sets etc...and yes it does have a lot of rides. Now. But it is much less than an amusement park than any Disney park. Which are only amusement parks not movie production sets. With rides attached.

Again. Disneyland cannot be compared even to Disney world. Which is a week long trip.

Never thought about the difference between Florida and calif and what u would do after either location

I would pick calif because we have, nicer weather than Florida. Hands down

Old 06-14-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Ok. Let's try this. Universal is mostly about making movies. Taking u on tram rides to visit sets etc...and yes it does have a lot of rides. Now. But it is much less than an amusement park than any Disney park. Which are only amusement parks not movie production sets. With rides attached.

Again. Disneyland cannot be compared even to Disney world. Which is a week long trip.

Never thought about the difference between Florida and calif and what u would do after either location

I would pick calif because we have, nicer weather than Florida. Hands down
gee, and I thought that Universal's second theme park had nothing to do with making movies. It's Islands of Adventure and it is typical themed park. And the original theme park, Universal Studios, shares a lot with the Magic Kingdom and the Disneyland Park on which is it based: endless rides that relate to Disney movies. Universal Orlando is vastly different from what you find in Universal in LA; the Calif. property is a fraction of what Universal has in Florida.

Also, why the agin on Disneyland and Disney World....did I suggest comparing them. Not once. I went out of the way to make clear that I was NOT comparing them.

I would pick California way, way, way over Florida. what does that have to do with comparing the themed attractions?

I won't bother to come back here since nobody is interested in this topic. and that's fine.

but I (again) only wanted to make it clear my quest was just to compare how Universal Orlando in Florida compares with Disneyland Resort in California. Nothing more.

Now, this would be a good time for this thread to die.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:44 AM

Uhhh. Universal studios in calif is. Hmm about 50 miles away from disneyland. Which is in Anaheim. Ie. The magic kingdom

And no universal in calif is not based upon Disneyland. It is owned by universal studios which last I heard made movies.

Better do more research. Tho on Orlando universal is competing with Disney. Thus is more amusement park feeling

In calif they are very very different from each other

Believe me. Live here. Go to both. One to take the grandkids on rides and watch parade and fireworks. The other is to take the tram and see movie and tv sets. Shop..eat..and yes they have a few rides

Do what u want tho

Old 06-15-2012, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Uhhh. Universal studios in calif is. Hmm about 50 miles away from disneyland. Which is in Anaheim. Ie. The magic kingdom

And no universal in calif is not based upon Disneyland. It is owned by universal studios which last I heard made movies.

Better do more research. Tho on Orlando universal is competing with Disney. Thus is more amusement park feeling

In calif they are very very different from each other

Believe me. Live here. Go to both. One to take the grandkids on rides and watch parade and fireworks. The other is to take the tram and see movie and tv sets. Shop..eat..and yes they have a few rides

Do what u want tho
boy, do you have me lost. i know the geography of metro LA and realize that Universal sits up there at the southern end of the San Fernando Valley, not the other direction in mid-Orange County. I know it is owned by Universal Studios and not Disney. I know it is not based on Disneyland. In fact, Universal was the model Disney used to build its own theme park in Orlando (Hollywood Studios).

You tell me to do the research. I don't need to. I just told you that I agree with your observations....and I never said otherwise.

What I said was the Universal Orlando (not LA) was like Disneyland. Do I have to repeat why? OK, I will:

• two theme parks in both locations
• entertainment/retail/dining complex located at the entrances to both parks
• three or four themed hotels

"Believe me. Live here. Go to both." I have been to both. Actually, I've been to all 4: Universal and Disneyland in LA and Universal and WDW in Florida.

"Do what u want tho" Gee, and all I thought I wanted was that you didn't put words in my mouth. I didn't compare DL with Universal LA; I compared it with Universal Orlando. Please just read what I said rather than assuming I'm saying something I didn't.

And if you disagree with me, go back to those writings and quote me directly. Find a place where I did say DL was like Universal LA.

As noted, this thread needs to die. And you need to read better before commenting on a poster being wrong. Do you realize that you told me I was wrong, yet everything I said was actually in agreement with what you wrote.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
gee, and I thought that Universal's second theme park had nothing to do with making movies. It's Islands of Adventure and it is typical themed park. And the original theme park, Universal Studios, shares a lot with the Magic Kingdom and the Disneyland Park on which is it based: endless rides that relate to Disney movies. Universal Orlando is vastly different from what you find in Universal in LA; the Calif. property is a fraction of what Universal has in Florida.

Also, why the agin on Disneyland and Disney World....did I suggest comparing them. Not once. I went out of the way to make clear that I was NOT comparing them.

I would pick California way, way, way over Florida. what does that have to do with comparing the themed attractions?

I won't bother to come back here since nobody is interested in this topic. and that's fine.

but I (again) only wanted to make it clear my quest was just to compare how Universal Orlando in Florida compares with Disneyland Resort in California. Nothing more.

Now, this would be a good time for this thread to die.

Sorry am having trouble with my new iPad. And haven't learn how to quote specific parts of a message

What I questioned was your above statement that universal ca shares if not on the same lot as the magic kingdom. This cannot be true. As Disneyland is in Anaheim. And universal la is 50 miles north. How can or do they share space?

Also in this post u stated. Universal la has scads of rides (ie similar to Anaheim). I checked the universal la website. It says "few". Rides. And btw all rides there are related to universal movies. This..in NO way makes it in the same league as Anaheim

Now. Florida. Is certainly another animal. It is totally competing with Disney world. Seems way more similar than different

So let's agree that in florida the two attractions are pretty competitive. Not true in calif

Personally I have been many times to both ca locations....universal surely has expanded over the years..but it still IS based upon universal movies and tv. Has a "few" rides per their website. Lots of shopping. Etc. One can see the entire place in less than one day
The magic kingdom in Anaheim is almost totally "rides". Plus stores owned by Disney which are overpriced havens of junk stuff
Most people I know make anaheim a 2 dat trip. But stll don't get to everything...also many locals(including our grandkids). Buy yearly passes... And go up there many times a season. Kids being kids never tire of riding and re riding the attractions

Have never known Anyone buy yearly passes to universal la. One day and u have seen and done it all

So. No. I wasn't agreeing with you ( ca only). But challenging your impression. And words that the two ca locations are more alike than different
Florida is. And I agree with you..very much alike.

Hope you make the right choice

Btw. Southern cal has so much more to do than Orlando. And infinitely better weather

Old 06-15-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Btw. Southern cal has so much more to do than Orlando. And infinitely better weather
I've lived in California (San Francisco). I've traveled in California extensively. And California is my favorite state. Believe me, you'd never have to convince me about the joys of the Golden State when compared to the Sunshine State.

Basically, I just love California. Always have; always will.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:25 PM

573 posts, read 1,361,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Except for the Magic Kingdom at WDW, which is nearly identical to Disneyland.

Wouldn't a better comparison for Universal Studios Orlando be the one in Hollywood?

Either way, the theme parks in FL trump CA's equivalents. They are bigger and better in pretty much every way.
California Theme Parks have better rides in my opinion, Six Flags Magic mountain, Carsland, Transformers, soon to come Wizarding World of Harry Potter Hollywood, and more, but that is just my OPINION. wait, also the studio tour.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:28 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Ok. I think I kow what you are going after.

Disney land is less of a movie themed experience than an overarching experience where disney movies and characters support a grander illusion of a fantasy land. The universal studios experience is more clearly defined around movies and moviemaking, and relies less on animatronics and storytelling vs effects and experiential setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County