Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2006, 05:27 PM

51 posts, read 212,651 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

New to the forums, I found it while googling "OC vs Vegas" and such. These forums have such a wealth of experience and knowledge to draw upon.. just what I was looking for! I'd like to tap everyone's brains for a moment to see what others who have been through this before think.

Although the general consensus from the few hours I've perused all seem to be anti-california, I don't mind throwing this out there for some feedback.

Here's my situation:

I've been in San Diego for a year, lived in Eastlake and currently Mission Valley to get rid of the commute. I graduated college a year ago, 24 years old, work full-time, and live with my girlfriend, 23, who also works full-time.

We moved here from Las Vegas, where I lived for the previous eight years. She used to live in Irvine, but moved in with me in Vegas while I finished my degree.

We came down to SD because I thought the opportunities and lifestyle would be better, but, factor in a couple minor mistakes (car!), and things aren't much better in terms of saving, going on vacations, etc. I just work, work, and work like no tomorrow. Granted, this could be one of those growing pains that I'm experiencing and have to get used to, but would I be making the wrong decision if I wanted to move to a more 'enjoyable' city?

I know what mistakes I've committed and am in the process of going into "save-mode" with my gf for the sake of moving out of here. We feel that it is too "slow" for our lifestyle, as I'm used to the vegas nightlife, and she's used to the OC. So.. we are now faced with our decision.

There are obviously some dramatic differences between the two areas, but what's your take on it?

Here are a few items we have formed opinions on:

Cost of Living: V
Taxes: V, both sales and lack of income tax
Nightlife: Toss-up between the two
Proximity to other areas: OC
Traffic: Unsure about this one. I can only speak for Vegas when I say the I-15 N is hell from noon to 7pm.
Possibility of buying housing: V by a long shot, after prices settle down of course.
Weather: OC
Family: I have relatives in Vegas, she has some in OC, so it's even.
Environment: OC has greenery.
Tract-housing galore: even.

Is there anything else I'm missing in considering a new place? How's Seattle looking? lol

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 05:25 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,029 times
What kind of work do you do ? The local economies in each vary drastically.

Vegas is very service oriented whereas OC is heavy tech-based employment.

If you can find decent employment in Vegas, then you may want to give it a shot because the cost of living there is much lower and the housing market has lost alot of steam....so you will find deals on nice homes.Personally, I like the people/environment/schools/Crime stats (I have little ones) better in OC. However, everyone is different and you may end up liling Vegas better.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:19 AM

51 posts, read 212,651 times
I have an Bus.Admin/MIS degree, so OC would be better in that aspect. I'm still amazed at how many corporate buildings I see by just driving around. However, I do have an interview with the Clark County gov't for an IT position this month, but we all know how that goes. If this job doesn't go through, I doubt I could find a job that pays what I'm looking for (in Vegas).

My gf and I are planning to capitalize on our experience/education by venturing out and buying/owning/starting businesses once we take care of our major debts (student loans, etc), so I won't be permanently connected to the IT industry.

I agree with the people/environment/schools/crime stats being better in OC. My only frame of references are the times I visit every so often on weekends, but it's really nice. Housing would be much easier to attain Vegas, and perhaps could be used as rental property if I do go that route.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:39 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
Both are equally crappy. Just pick one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County