Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischbeck View Post
Hey,

I'm going to move to california to work in corona in spring 2008. I'm a german and i'm searching for a middle class situated area to life nearby corona. I searching for place near to the cost and on the other hand not to far from the the office.
One of my friends recommended me to search for accomodation in laguna beach and drive every day to corona or to customers around LA.

I would like to get some opinions and recommondation where to life in that situation?
And what are the costs to life there?

thanks for your answers.

regards.
Michael
Michael it's not very practical to consider that kind of commute. You should get on Map Quest and see the miles you would be driving. That's unreal.

I think you would be better served to locate in Corona it is a more reasonable
cost of living and more for your money. Then on weekends come to the beach area. You will be spending many hours a day living on the freeway not a pleasant way to live or spend your life. I'd find a Extended Stay Hotel, couple of weeks.

Talk with the people at work. They will probably steer you to something reasonable. People in Human Resources can give you some suggestions and wil be likely to offer some help.

Live close to your work. You won't regret it.

Here are some places you could stay that provide a week or monthly
rate to get you situated in Corona.

Holiday Inn Express Suites in Corona Sm scale hotel
phone:951- 273-0708

Hotel Paseo Dynasty Suites 1Person $82.00-92.00 951-371-7185

Residence INN by Marriott in Corona area code 951 371-0107
1 bedrooms with kitchens. 1person $160.-200. a night

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 11:52 PM

3 posts, read 6,769 times
I live in laguna beach and commuted to Corona daily for the last few years...it's actually one of the easiest commutes I've done in the last 15 years i've lived in So Cal. It's about 40 - 45 miles, and about 40 - 45 minutes to drive, taking the tollroads described by other commenters...very rarely is there much traffic going in my direction. As some one else mentioned, it is really a 'reverse commute' - all the traffic is going the opposite direction both in the morning/evening busy drive times. The toll road is expensive. It is a much easier commute than going to pretty much anywhere in LA county or San Diego County during heavy commute hours! good luck,

Old 10-03-2007, 04:26 PM

264 posts, read 397,945 times
Michael do you mean Carona or Carona del Mar? The latter is about five miles up the coast from LB...big difference between CDM and Carona.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:18 AM

9 posts, read 41,183 times
thanks... you giving me so many useful informations.. thanks again.

I going ot work in corona. But some days a week I will work out of the office to visit customers.
My aim at CA is to enjoy the life and get some great experiences of business. For me its important to life at a good place which is friendly for guys, like me.. a german, young immigrant...

At the first time I think about to life as a roomate to get some contacts... after this I will move to a another place... what do you think? is it a good idea?

regards.
Michael

Old 10-04-2007, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mischbeck View Post
Hey,

I'm going to move to california to work in corona in spring 2008. I'm a german and i'm searching for a middle class situated area to life nearby corona. I searching for place near to the cost and on the other hand not to far from the the office.
One of my friends recommended me to search for accomodation in laguna beach and drive every day to corona or to customers around LA.

I would like to get some opinions and recommondation where to life in that situation?
And what are the costs to life there?

thanks for your answers.

regards.
Michael
Your commute would be in excess of an hour each way
avoid anything near the 91 Freeway. there is no less than an hour commute from a beach city to Corona

Old 10-04-2007, 04:29 PM

5 posts, read 31,448 times
Default Stay near the beaches

Michael, not sure where you are from in Germany, but I think Laguna Beach is a great choice for someone who is more accustomed to a European lifestyle. Laguna Beach has outdoor cafes and restaurants, a laid-back but energetic vibe, and is a town you can actually walk in to get places. Walk to the beach, the grocery store, the coffee shop, etc.

Many of the other areas are car-oriented. You have neighborhoods served by strip-malls. The strip mall is just a parking lot with shops. You drive your car everywhere and rarely walk.

There are also a lot of tourists in Laguna Beach (summer time especially). From a European perspective, you might think of Laguna Beach as a beach town in Italy that many people go to for Holiday. Only you would live there. Which is great for many people! So you might drive an hour to get home from work, but once home you are on vacation! No car, just walk to meet friends for a drink, then head down to the beach to watch the sunset, then walk to get something to eat. Its a pretty great life.

If you are more into mountains and silence and hiking and camping, then I'm not sure Laguna Beach is the best place to live. It could be a fun place to hang out on the weekends. You have to love it to make the commute worth it.

I say: if you want to experience the "California lifestyle" stay near the beaches! You only live once, and its a great life once you try it!

Old 10-06-2007, 11:03 AM

376 posts, read 1,505,910 times
You might want to check out Portola Hills, Foothill Ranch and Trabuco Canyon about a half hour from Corona and the beach and many of the homes have ocean views. Plus the area provides scenic serene views. But then again might be a little settled for a 28 year old. Oh wait, I moved there when I was 29 and have loved it. Keep in mind if you want to go out with friends etc, Laguna, Dana Point, Newport is really no further then a 20 - 30 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County